SASS Wire Forum

Gun work on sp101

Tuco Taveras SASS#79313

Howdy pards: I got new ruger sp101 for the girls ,but they are stiff to shoot.......bought spring kits for them .....now I need some help as to how to install the new springs???? much obliged for any tips y'all can give me....It will be a happy shootin' Easter for us all............Tuco.

Very straight-forward. Take off grips, cock hammer, insert pin in strut hole, compress sring with fork, carefully release spring, choose new spring, reverse process. There is a compression latch in the trigger guard, compress and remove guard, replace trigger spring. Then put it all together. You may want to polish all contact surfaces and apply grease.

Very straight-forward. Take off grips, cock hammer, insert pin in strut hole, compress sring with fork, carefully release spring, choose new spring, reverse process. There is a compression latch in the trigger guard, compress and remove guard, replace trigger spring. Then put it all together. You may want to polish all contact surfaces and apply grease.

Much Obliged Pard......Sounds alot like doin the springs on a vaquero...All I needed was a little extra confidence......Thanks Tuco.

thier is a book out on slicking up ruger actions by a gunsmith named Iowegen I believe, it used to be free but I think that thier is acharge now, good info on total dissassembly and slicking up the action, one hint i got was to dissassemble everything in a gallon plastic bag so that when one of the plunger springs goes flying you dont have to search for it.

Take Care,Stay safe

DRD

thier is a book out on slicking up ruger actions by a gunsmith named Iowegen I believe, it used to be free but I think that thier is acharge now, good info on total dissassembly and slicking up the action, one hint i got was to dissassemble everything in a gallon plastic bag so that when one of the plunger springs goes flying you dont have to search for it.

Take Care,Stay safe

DRD

Another thing I learned about Rugers is that the springs and the plungers even in SS guns have enough steel in the mix for a magnet to pick up on. I do my work in a well lighted area and have a large magnet that should the unthinkable happen and parts go bouncing off of walls, a quick sweep of the surrounding area with the magnet usually turns up the missing parts. Smithy.

Archived