SASS Wire Forum

Winchester Model 24 SXS

Does anyone use a Winchester model 24 side by side in CAS events?

I'm thinking I would like to find a decent American shotgun to use in CAS. :)

They are great shotguns, I have had a couple of them in 12 gauge. I have my grandfather's Model 24 in 20 gauge. They point real well for me.

The only issue I notice is that they don't seem to stay fully open when you dump out the shells and go to reload. The shotguns seem to want to close back up a little which makes for more effort on the reload.

They're great guns, and the only reason I don't use mine more often for matches is that it's got 30" barrels that somehow bang into everything within 6 feet of you when you're trying to load, shoot, etc. The spring loaded extractors are about the worst design I've ever seen, but if you stick with quality ammo they won't cause you any trouble.

I had one and used it several times. It was a 28" and could not bring myself to cut it, so I sold it to a pard. At the time I had six doubles and mainly shot 97's. It was a really beefy gun. Decided to thin the herd. Here is the ad from 2008:

Winchester Model 24 – Classic 12 Ga. SXS made in 1947, 28” barrels modified and full, safety converted to manual and recent cocker repair by Cash Caldwell, old crack in forearm, butt stock is fine, no rust, little bluing, but overall condition is good. I figure it should last another 60 years or so, providing great style points along the way. Price $300. Contact Church Key.

I have one in 20 gauge that I campaigned for one season. I had the same problem mentioned above in that the barrels won't stay open wide enough to make reloading easy. Then I found out that (in 20 gauge) they're pretty valuable, so I went to a different shotgun.

A buddy of mine uses one. He had a local smith work on it so it will stay open. That and a little polishing on the chambers is all the work he had done to it (meanin' it's still go the 28" barrels and the Mod/Full chokes). It must work pretty well, he was the fastest SXS shooter in the Speed Shotgun sidematch at Mule Camp back around 5 years ago.

Strangely enough, that was the Mule camp where he bought a '97 from Macon Rounds. Why the boy wanted a trombone gun when he can shoot a SXS that fast is beyond me. :blink:

Thanks for all the replies.

I found two of them locally for a good price.

I think one of them is gonna get it's barrels shortened. ;):lol:

Archived