SASS Wire Forum

.45 Colt hand loads

Aravaipa Al, SASS #39492

Howdy all:

On "Cowboys" on the Outdoor Channel recently, Tex Fiddler (Joe Provenzano) talked about the .45 Colt loads he uses for his rifle and handguns. I remember that he said he used a 200 gr bullet, but he also gave a velocity which I didn't catch. Does anyone know that? And, was that the velocity from a rifle or a revolver barrel? And what length is the barrel, in either case? If anyone can put me in touch with Tex, that would help. But thanks for any help.

Aravaipa Al

You can always get load data from Hodgdon.... Load Data The starting load data for Clays is 777 fps. Clays shoots nice for me. I have also started using Trail Boss which is listed at 706 fps with the starting load for 200gr. It was a nice shooting load for me also. I like that it fills more of the case then Clays. I have used Tightgroup to be less position sensitive but it has a sharper recoil then Clays so don't think I will go back to it.

Have fun!

I just started using .45 Cowboy specials from Adirondack Jack's. This brass in .45 Colt cut to ACP length. You use a mixture of Colt sizing dies plus ACP dies for expanding, seating and crimping. It cuts the powder use and keeps the gun cleaner since there is less room for inconsistent powder combustion. I even use these for BP-subs. I set the crimping die lower than normal for a tigher crimp due to taper crimp on ACP dies.

I have set my .45 Colt aside for long-range pistol and field work. I do not plan on shooting anymore .45 Colt rounds at cowboy matches.

Or heck, you could go with the original 45 "cowboy special", the 45 Schofield. I have guns chambered in it and use the rounds in my 45 Colts on occasion. Nice to shoot and smaller powder charges, though I use the same bullets in both the Schofields and the 45 Colt.

Archived