SASS Wire Forum

Movie Director Killed

Subdeacon Joe

‘Restrepo’ Director and a Photographer Are Killed in Libya

BENGHAZI, Libya — Tim Hetherington, a conflict photographer who was a director and producer of the Afghan war documentary “Restrepo,” was killed in the besieged city of Misurata, Libya, on Wednesday, and three photographers working beside him were wounded, one fatally, when they came under fire at the city’s front lines.

Mr. Liohn said he worried that the Qaddafi forces would counterattack in the afternoon, then added, “And that’s what happened.”

About 3 p.m., Mr. Liohn said, the four were struck by a rocket-propelled grenade.

Rebels sped them to the triage center. All four were alive, but it was obvious from the outset, Mr. Liohn said, that Mr. Hetherington and Mr. Hondros were gravely wounded.

Mr. Hetherington had lost a large amount of blood, Mr. Liohn said, and doctors were unable to stabilize him.

“They tried to do cardiac massage for a very long time,” he said. “May 15 minutes or more. Then they declared him dead.”

Mr. Hondros was unconscious and died late at night.

Covering the war in eastern Libya and Misurata in the west has proved to be especially treacherous for journalists, who have been subjected to airstrikes, and artillery, rocket, rifle and machine-gun fire, and they have faced the risk of arrest, beatings and detention from the pro-Qaddafi forces.

The risks during the fighting have been compounded by the difficulties of moving protective equipment into Libya through Egypt, where customs officials have tried to block the transit of helmets and flak jackets.Some journalists have managed to move the equipment to front lines, but most have not. Neither Mr. Hetherington nor Mr. Brown had protective gear in Misurata, Mr. Liohn said.

One of the few good ones.

I feel so bad for his family.. and I am sure we will be missing out on a great mind in the future.. At times I wonder why some die and some live.. but then I realize that is too deep for me.. and I go back to simply wishing we never had to loss anyone..

I feel so bad for his family.. and I am sure we will be missing out on a great mind in the future.. At times I wonder why some die and some live.. but then I realize that is too deep for me.. and I go back to simply wishing we never had to loss anyone..

Rest in Peace.

There are two kinds of war correspondents. The ones like Hetherington and Hondros who crawl around the battlefield and risk their lives..

..and the other kind who file their dispatches from the hotel bar based on the latest rumors they've heard or made up..

I've known both kinds.

Archived