SASS Wire Forum

Loading brass Shot Shells

Cholla Bob

Was looking through my dad's old "1960 Lyman 42nd edition Reloader's Handbook" and found this section on brass shot shell reloading and thought it might be of interest to some of y'all.

Loading Brass Shotshells

Cholla

Thanks, I made a copy. Haven't used the water glass yet...... ;)

Knarley

I use some 10 gauge over powder wads I accidentally order a long time ago, they work great.

Thanks for the page i also save it

At the time of that printing, waterglass was used by most people. It is outdated as a much faster way now is with a glue gun and overshot card. The mini glue gun and not the large.

I have been using water glass (sodium silicate) for better than a decade and it works fine. I only load BP in my brass shells, for use in an original Spencer pump and a double, both with Damascus barrels. I got my bottle of water glass from the pharmacy, I went and asked the pharmacist and he found it in his books. You could probably find it on line these days. Over many years I have never used the entire bottle and sodium silicate crystals have precipitated in it (you can't reverse this by the way, it can only be done at very high pressures).

Just for the folks who would like to try the old way.

I'm with Doc and only use Black Powder and only use waterglass. I've tried Duco cement and others, but the waterglass is my preference.

BTW, the last jar I bought I found at a ceramics supply store. Apparently Sodium Silicate is used as a mold-release compound. Tellin' the cashier that you need some to seal brass shotgun shells is mucho funn-o! :D

ol' poke

Archived