SASS Wire Forum

What makes a club active. How many shoots a year.

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

Lets say that there is club that used to have SASS affiliated CAS matches but has not hosted a single match in 4 years. But they still have a TG that still is active and votes. Even though CAS does not exist at that club anymore. Does that seem right?

in a word,,,,,,,,,,NO

cheyenne

Lets say that there is club that used to have SASS affiliated CAS matches but has not hosted a single match in 4 years. But they still have a TG that still is active and votes. Even though CAS does not exist at that club anymore. Does that seem right?

Not at all

KK

There is a club I know of that has never had a match in all the time I have been shooting but is still listed on the SASS club web page and the CC. As far as I know it has zero members and zero shoots. For a long time there had been a TG listed, but now only a contact alias and telephone number. A few years ago, there was an effort to eliminate that club from voting in Vegas but it is still listed.

Deuce, there are several clubs out there that I know of that might shoot once or twice a year with less than 10 shooters. They have a voting TG and are members of a larger organization that has insurance. However, when they shoot in various locations and fail to secure an additional insurance binder they are shooting without liability insurance for that particular location, they are lucky they have never had an accident. Since they are uninsured they are not eligible to be SASS sanctioned, thus their TG should not be able to vote. These rouge clubs tend to have a very limited membership and allow very few shooters to enter their ranks. They don't advertise shoots, dates, or locations, yet they continue to represent themselves as SASS affilated clubs in the CC.

LL'

Deuce, there are several clubs out there that I know of that might shoot once or twice a year with less than 10 shooters. They have a voting TG and are members of a larger organization that has insurance. However, when they shoot in various locations and fail to secure an additional insurance binder they are shooting without liability insurance for that particular location, they are lucky they have never had an accident. Since they are uninsured they are not eligible to be SASS sanctioned, thus their TG should not be able to vote. These rouge clubs tend to have a very limited membership and allow very few shooters to enter their ranks. They don't advertise shoots, dates, or locations, yet they continue to represent themselves as SASS affilated clubs in the CC.

LL'

Yes, have seen that as well. But that is not the case with this one.

yup, but I got tired of asking myself that question and thought I would run it by you guys. So far looks like I'm not crazy.

Hey Deuce,

I never said you wasn't crazy. I just agreed with the part about it not bein right to vote if a feller had no one to represent but hissownself. Heeeheee!!

Blood Washed

Deuce, I'd venture to say that the verification system within SASS is lacking in more than one area. I won't go into a long explanation about how this can happen (phantom club having a voting TG), but it would not be difficult to fix if SASS is made aware and wants to put some effort into designing a fix that would keep this from occurring again.

For some "the cowboy way" is sometimes preached as not rocking the boat, but when I ask myself WWRRD, I always seem to come up with Roy would rock the boat if he saw anyone being wronged. You're not crazy, if this situation is allowed to go on, we're all being wronged. Please pick up the phone and call SASS.

Footnote: Another example of proper verification failing to take place is in regard to shooter's aliases. As I understand it, in order to shoot at a state level or higher match, a shooter must be a SASS member and thereby have a unique alias, yet I have witnessed shooters registering and shooting under their shortened alias. An example would be if I registered as Buck instead of Buck D. Law. While everyone calls me Buck, I would not dare to register simply as Buck no more than you would register simply as Deuce. Imagine my surprise some time ago when I saw that Sidekick (SASS 40914) was listed in the Chronicle as having won ladies speed shotgun at a match. For the record, I've never seen him wear a dress, but I have seen him wear…..out a 97. :D

A SASS Affiliated Cowboy Action Shooting Club

• Maintain no less than 50% of its membership in SASS. (This applies to only the "cowboy part" if part of a larger, multi-discipline shooting club. The 50% rule is waived the first year.)

• Conduct its matches in compliance with the SASS Shooters Handbook

Have a regularly scheduled SASS Shooting program

• Respect all SASS aliases and shooter numbers at its matches

• Regularly provide SASS with copies of club newsletters and bulletins

• Provide a fully completed SASS Affiliate Club Registration form and renews annually

• Provide a schedule of match dates to SASS to be published on the SASS web site

• Provide proof of $1,000,000 public liability insurance for the coming year.

Looking at the wording, could have a match every 20 years? Now that there aint rite.

Archived