SASS Wire Forum

160 grain .45 Colt bullets

So I've been shooting 200 grain bullets in my .45's, but I may be getting wimpy in my old age :P , and I've been harassing my wife's cousin about shooting them in the past so asking this is a little bit embarrassing :blush: , but can one, or a multitude, of you fine folks tell me where the least expensive place is to buy some 160 grain RNFP .45 Colt bullets? I'm thinking at least 1,000 of them little critters...

Thanks, y'all!

So I've been shooting 200 grain bullets in my .45's, but I may be getting wimpy in my old age :P , and I've been harassing my wife's cousin about shooting them in the past so asking this is a little bit embarrassing :blush: , but can one, or a multitude, of you fine folks tell me where the least expensive place is to buy some 160 grain RNFP .45 Colt bullets? I'm thinking at least 1,000 of them little critters...

Thanks, y'all!

Badman Bullets for a 160 grain

OR

Desparado Cowboy Bullets for a 170 grain

Both in your general neck of the woods.

Boothill

Plus One for Mastercraft bullets.

Ah, 160s aren't going to be cheap from anyone. They don't auto feed thru a luber/sizer. Some bullet shops won't even bother casting 'em.

Coffinmaker

Aw yes, another Cowboy that owns a computer that has a search engine and won't use it. So comes to the Wire to have folks do the price comparison work for him! :D

http://www.beaniescastbullets.com/castbullets.html

Hi John Boy! I did do my own search, but sometimes folks on the Wire have better info than what a search can turn up. Besides, isn't this thread less controversial than some of the others that have been started lately? :D

Check with Cool Waters at Saddlebag Bullets ph.1-256-683-6341 or 1-256-776-4909

GOOD STUFF.

Hi John Boy! I did do my own search, but sometimes folks on the Wire have better info than what a search can turn up. Besides, isn't this thread less controversial than some of the others that have been started lately? :D

I'm not sure - do you plan on wearing a hat when shooting those 160 grain bullets?

:rolleyes:

+1 on the "rare because they won't collate in the luber/sizer machine" issue. Some guys won't make em at all, others charge a justified premium for the extra work to feed the machine by hand....

But, I use em in the rifle (my "heavy" CAS bullet, I run 125 Barnstormers in the pistols), either casting em myself with a 6 cavity Lee mold, or bartering to get em from somebody who makes em with a Master Caster and I lube/size em myself.

Besides, isn't this thread less controversial than some of the others that have been started lately?
Charlie - tis a Pure Fact!

BTW, 1000 for $71.00 is a darn good price. If I was buying the little ones, I'd order 5,000 cause lead prices are not going down!

So while I have everybody standing around waiting to see who's gonna speak up next, I'd like to add an adjunct to the original question: I'm currently shooting "optimized for cowboy velocities" bullets. Does the fact that most of the above vendors advertise their bullets as hard cast make a difference versus those who say that a softer bullet is better? That may make a difference in my choice of where to purchase bullets, eh?

Gamer!!!!!!!! Thats all I have to say. Bullett

Now that there's the pot callin' the kettle black if ever I heard it! :lol:

Hi, Tom!

"Hard" cast bullets are optimized for two things, higher velocity (not our concern) and easier shipping (hard bullets have less tendency to bang eash other up when given loving care by UPS).

Softer bullets are a pain in the (neck) to package and ship without damage, but work better in slower applications such as most of our gamer loads. They more readily bump up (the fancy word os "obdurate") when swatted less than ferociously by light loads.

Ya gets what ya pay for.....

I thought for some time before posting my question about relative cleaning time between nickel and brass, just wondering how it could offend someone, but I never would have seen this one going south. :rolleyes: Oh well..... :huh:

Didn't know you could post prices.

2nd Chance Bullets 150 Gr. RNFP $56.00 a 1,000.

Flat rate shipping $10.00 up to 5,000.

BADMAN BULLETS has FREE SHIPPING with a Min. Order of 1000 bullets! :FlagAm:

Type in "LONG JIM" in the comment section.... ;)

BADMAN BULLETS B)

So after immense amounts of contemplation, calculation and etc. I put in an order with Badman Bullets...

Thanks for all of your input, folks...

Howdy Charlie, another option to consider for less recoil is AJ's Cowboy 45 Special case. I tried them with 160gr bullet and they shot fine. However I prefer to use a 200gr with the short case, they just seem to shoot better. They also work great with BP and a 200gr Big Lube. Good Luck :)

http://www.cowboy45special.com/

Jefro :ph34r:

Howdy Charlie, another option to consider for less recoil is AJ's Cowboy 45 Special case. I tried them with 160gr bullet and they shot fine. However I prefer to use a 200gr with the short case, they just seem to shoot better. They also work great with BP and a 200gr Big Lube. Good Luck :)

http://www.cowboy45special.com/

Jefro :ph34r:

I thought seriously about going that way, but I've got so much .45 colt brass it didn't seem to be cost-effective to do it. And I'd have to revamp my 66, which would cost a bunch more bucks, 'cause I hate having two different sizes of brass to mess with when I get home. Just lazy I guess...

I've been gittin' my bullits here lately:

http://www.carolinacowboys.us/DepGene/bullets.htm

Archived