SASS Wire Forum

best price on a Henry?

Wagon Box Willy

:o Are you kidding? If you pay more than about $700 you're getting SCREWED!!! When my wife and I first started we both bought Henry Big Boys. She paid $500 and I paid $550. Go shop gunbroker.com or make a post in the classifieds section of this here Wire telling folks what you're in the market for.

(Unless you're talking about a REAL Henry. In that case, I have no idea.)

Thanks Slim, I'm talking about a new Uberti. 1020 is the cheapest by 100-300 I've found a new rifle for.

Not sure I want to buy used, figure most people selling one would be getting rid of a problem of one kind or another.

-Willy

Howdy WBW,

You might look on line at the Cabelas gun room inventory. I got one in Kansa City for 750 bucks and it looked like it had never been fired. Never had a problem with it either. Alternately, check here and the cas city website. Look in the classifieds and the Henry forum.

Shakey

Keep an eye on the auction sites - 13 months ago, I got a "used" .44-40 off'n gunbroker for $614 + $20 shipping + $20 transfer fee (Dury's Gun Shop, Austin TX) w/o box/papers, that appeared to be unfired.

While I'd love a brand spankin' new Henry to fall into my lap for $750, if I wait for that the shooting season will be over up here and I don't have another rifle so I'm looking for something fairly quickly.

Not sure I want to buy used, figure most people selling one would be getting rid of a problem of one kind or another.

Probably a poor assumption on the SASS wire. Could be a reasonable one out in the "real world".

I've gotten many guns off the wire that have been just fine. (Thanks, Outlaw Gambler, Big Sage, etc., etc.)

GJ

Sent you a pm on a Henry trapper I'm looking to sell.

When I bought the Transitional Henry from Happy Trails, this one became expendable.

--Dawg

While I'd love a brand spankin' new Henry to fall into my lap for $750, if I wait for that the shooting season will be over up here and I don't have another rifle so I'm looking for something fairly quickly.

Howdy Willy

A friend of mine used to run a business, and he had a plaque on the wall that said:

Quality, Price, Time; choose any two.

If you're in a hurry, you may have to pay top dollar. Particularly if you don't want to take a chance on used. These days, $1020 is probably a pretty good price for brand, spanky new. Henry rifles always run more than the 1873 or the 1866. Probably because it costs more to make the barrel and magazine from one bar of steel. Sometimes you get lucky and just happen to be in the right place at the right time. As I told you before, I saved about $200 on mine several years ago because it was on sale at Dixie at the time. It was just luck that they were on sale when I was looking. I don't think they are offering such steep discounts these days though.

Have you actually shot one, to be sure you want one? If we are at the same place at the same time I would be happy to let you try mine. You may want to try before you buy.

Howdy Willy

A friend of mine used to run a business, and he had a plaque on the wall that said:

Quality, Price, Time; choose any two.

If you're in a hurry, you may have to pay top dollar. Particularly if you don't want to take a chance on used. These days, $1020 is probably a pretty good price for brand, spanky new. Henry rifles always run more than the 1873 or the 1866. Probably because it costs more to make the barrel and magazine from one bar of steel. Sometimes you get lucky and just happen to be in the right place at the right time. As I told you before, I saved about $200 on mine several years ago because it was on sale at Dixie at the time. It was just luck that they were on sale when I was looking. I don't think they are offering such steep discounts these days though.

Have you actually shot one, to be sure you want one? If we are at the same place at the same time I would be happy to let you try mine. You may want to try before you buy.

DJ,

Being in the defense acquisition business for 35 years I'm quite familiar with that cliche....only in the real world two of them is considered being lucky. I've been on programs where we got only one and often none of the three :)

Since I have zero experience shooting a lever gun I doubt I can be disappointed with the Henry. When/where are you shooting next?

-WIlly

Since I have zero experience shooting a lever gun I doubt I can be disappointed with the Henry. When/where are you shooting next?

-WIlly

Howdy Willy, do yourself (and yer pocket book) a favor and start going to as many local matches as you can find before you spend a dime. Try out the different firearms first, most of us are more than willing to let you use our gear, we're wierd that way. :wacko: You might like the 66/73 better, but then again you might not, never know till you try them all. ;) Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Shooting a Henry is different that a '66 cuz ya got to do the Henry Hop, letting the mag follower past your hand that's getting all burned up from the "HOT" barrel your holding. You did notice that Henry's don't have a wood forearm. Shoot one before buying.

Just sayin'

Big Jake

P.S. There is a wood mag stick you can insert after the boolits, soze ya don't hafta do the Hop thingy.

Shooting a Henry is different that a '66 cuz ya got to do the Henry Hop, letting the mag follower past your hand that's getting all burned up from the "HOT" barrel your holding. You did notice that Henry's don't have a wood forearm. Shoot one before buying.

Just sayin'

Big Jake

P.S. There is a wood mag stick you can insert after the boolits, soze ya don't hafta do the Hop thingy.

Thanks for the comments and keep 'em comming.

I'm into CAS to shoot the guns I wanna shoot, not to compete with anyone but myself and as such, I want to shoot a Henry :) I picked Remington 1875 to be a little different and have grown to love to shoot them. Since I started getting interested in old guns I've had a fondness for the Henry. When I first discovered CAS I really wanted to shoot a Spencer even with all that entailed but some folks talked me out of that for various reasons....I'm still going to buy a Spenser some day before I retire :)

I plan on using the spacer stick so I don't have to do the "hop" and know all about the hot barrel so I think I pretty much know what to expect.

-Willy

Well, you can only think you know what you want. Very very few of us stick with the guns we start with. I thot I wanted to shoot an 1860 Henry in CAS. I shot it in exactly one match (and I have shot hundreds of matches). Hated it. Traded it for a 66. Much happier with that. I own lots of rifles, but I will have to get a lot richer before I ever again own a 60 Henry. There is a reason you do not see many on the line at matches. They look good but they just don't work as well for this game as the 66/73 or the Marlin. They are prohibitively heavy and they load funny. Best try afore ye buy.

Try Rezacs, they have 45 Long Colt Henrys in stock at a better price than you listed

http://ultona.110mb.com/

+1. Phil is a great guy to do business with. My 1866 and my Baikal came from him.

+1 on Joel

I've bought a fair number of guns from him.

Always first class.

--Dawg

Thanks for the comments and thanks for the Rezacs link, that $829 price on the '66 is very tempting. I also emailed them about a hammer sxs which they don't currently have. Their prices are good so I hope to get aprice on that as well.

I bought one of those $825 '66 from him last year.

Gave it to Lassiter to work his magic on it.

LOVE IT!

--Dawg

Willy:

As is typical in this game, you can find a lover and a hater for every rifle made. Bottom line is that the "right" gun is the one that's "right" FOR YOU. The 1860 Henry is a solid, accurate rifle with a definate place in this game;I wouldn't trade mine. Others prefer other guns.

Get thee to a match...or two or three. Don't be shy...try out some guns. Shoot over to Riley's in Hooksett - they usually have half a dozen or more used lever guns on the rack of various configurations. Lift them, sight them, handle them - you may decide you don't like the looks or feel or action.

LL

Howdy Again

Loophole's suggestion to go to Riley's in Hooksett is an excellent suggestion. They are not too far from you, and usually have a '73, '66, and Henry on the shelf so that you can handle and compare them. They may also have a '92 and/or a Marlin on the shelf. Give them a call before you go to see what they have on hand.

The more guns you get a chance to handle and shoot before you spend your money, the better off you are.

Riley's

I hope to be shooting at Harvard Mass on Sunday May 1 if the weather is decent, if you want to try a few shots with my Henry. Send me a PM when the weekend is near.

Willy +2 on Riley, was there on Wed this week and know for certain they had a 44-40 '73 and IIRC an iron framed Henry as well but wont swear to the latter.

They did however also have a 1876 in 45-60 in case you want something for side match shooting. ;)

Noz, Actually Phil is the Dad, Joel his son, runs the day to day operations of the gun business and is the one your dealing with...

Phil is the one I talked to on the phone.

Willy +2 on Riley, was there on Wed this week and know for certain they had a 44-40 '73 and IIRC an iron framed Henry as well but wont swear to the latter.

They did however also have a 1876 in 45-60 in case you want something for side match shooting. ;)

Thanks,

I land at Manchester Airport at 1pm so I'll shoot up to Riley's before I head home.

Thanks for the offer DJ, I head out of town on the 1st so we'll have to see if I can fit it in. I need to retire so I can have time for my hobbies :)

Willy

Make sure you handle a Henry before you plunk down the money. I got one like new for $700. The reason it wa sliek new is the feller shot it a few times and realized it wasn't the gun for him.

Now I love the Henry for what it is, a great piece of American history. I shoot it because it's fun. It is heavy and not nearly as competitive as a Marlin or '73. If winning is your aim it's probably not the rifle for you.

But I love mine and wouldn't part with it.

Thanks Slim, I'm talking about a new Uberti. 1020 is the cheapest by 100-300 I've found a new rifle for.

-Willy

buying used isn't necessarily a problem. A lot of folks just want to change makes (like from a '73 to a Marlin....) or calibers.

I bought my '73 used, then sent it to a smith to slick it up, do a short-stroke, and shorten the barrel, etc. It's great. And the "imperfections" on it go well with my outfit as it's been developing, which is not new but rather more used and lived-in.

Aunt Jen

Pards,

Went to Riley's and handled a Henry in 45lc and the '73. Could handle both about the same but can see where the Henry could get heavy after a while. While I'd have to play with them a lot more to be sure but I think whatever I get will need a short stroke kit to allow me to keep the gun in place while levering. That may not actually be the case after some practice and muscle memory training but that was my initial impression.

Don't want a '73, the decision is between '60 and '66. Thanks for all the help so far.

Escaped Riley's with only a bag of brass but since I commute via Manchester Airport every week and it's 15 min from there it's likely to become my "local" gun shop :)

Willy

Howdy Willy

Actually, I was expecting you to say you walked out with a new Henry.

A short stroke kit will not so much help keep the gun in place while levering. An action job and lighter springs will help. Without reducing the internal friction and spring force that needs to be overcome to work the action, a short stroke kit will actually require more effort, not less, to work the gun. It's simple physics. Shorten the lever arm of any lever and more force is required to produce the same amount of work. Once the action has been smoothed up and the springs lightened, then and only then will a short stroke kit offer any real advantage.

Howdy DJ,

That makes sense but I wasn't clear as to why I perceived the need for the short stroke kit. For the short amount of time I was working the lever it felt as if I had to shift the gun position to get enough reach to open the action. Now that may have been simply because I never used a lever action before or it may indeed be that the action is too tight, stock is too long or my arm too short :). I was thinking that with the SS kit I wouldn't have to reach as far.

Willy

because I never used a lever action before

That's why you should really try a bunch before you spend any money.

Archived