SASS Wire Forum

April 21

Dorado

Tomorrow, April 21 is a very important day for us Texans. Can you guess what it is? That's right! It's San Jacinto Day! Now, do you know why this day is so important? This marks the anniversary of the Battle of San Jacinto, the battle that lasted only a few minutes but gave birth to the Republic of Texas. In this battle General Sam Houston and his army managed to sneak up on General Santa Anna and defeat them. Houston with his rag tag bunch of 800 Texans took on Santa Anna and his 1250 Mexican Regulars in a fight that lasted only a reported 18 minutes, nine Texans were killed and 26 wounded including Houston. While the Mexicans lost over 600 men and the tyrant Santa Anna ran away leaving his men to the mercy of the Texans. He was found wearing some stolen clothing and hiding in the swamps near the San Jacinto River. He surrendered and agreed to give Texas its independence on the terms of his release. Although he never officially recognized Texas as a sovereign nation he did pull all of his troop out.

So for all us Texans, Would be Texans, and Texans in spirit, have a drink on me.

You forgot the most important part of the story. "Remember the Alamo" was the battle cry for the men who went to avenge the previous battle. Just sayin'

Big Jake

The battle cry was more than "Remember the Alamo!" it also had "Remember Goliad!" Where Santa Anna executed all of his prisoners for no reason.

The battle cry was more than "Remember the Alamo!" it also had "Remember Goliad!" Where Santa Anna executed all of his prisoners for no reason.

Ah, yes. But there are two sides to every peso. Most of the rebels at the Alamo and Goliad had taken an oath of allegiance to Mexico in order to own land in Mexico. They were oath-breakers and traitors. Summary execution was not unusual at that time for the crime of treason.

We Norteamericanos, of course, regard them as freedom fighters and martyrs. But that would not be how the lawful government of Mexico saw them.

And today I will raise a cerveza and toast, "Viva Tejas!"

Buena suerte, amigos

eGG

(who is just staying in character)

Ah, yes. But there are two sides to every peso. Most of the rebels at the Alamo and Goliad had taken an oath of allegiance to Mexico in order to own land in Mexico. They were oath-breakers and traitors. Summary execution was not unusual at that time for the crime of treason.

We Norteamericanos, of course, regard them as freedom fighters and martyrs. But that would not be how the lawful government of Mexico saw them.

And today I will raise a cerveza and toast, "Viva Tejas!"

Buena suerte, amigos

eGG

(who is just staying in character)

And the patriots of American revolution were all British subjects and traitors to the King.

I'm a TEXICAN, through and through !!! :FlagAm:

Break out da bottles of Bulliet fer my Pards and Pardetts !!

VIVA TEJAS !!!!

VIVA TEJAS!!!

And the patriots of American revolution were all British subjects and traitors to the King.

And Ben Franklin recognized this fact when he said, "Now we must all hang together, or assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Buena suerte,

eGG

Archived