SASS Wire Forum

Proposed addition to "For Sale" Rules in Classifieds

The Camarillo Kid

SASSNet Administrators:

I do some occasional buying/selling on different performance automotive Forums on the web (my other expensive hobby), and have noticed a recent trend that might be applicable to the Classifieds here on SASSNet.com. In order to combat the issue of people posting things for sale that they aren’t actually in possession of (it’s very easy to go grab a stock photo from somewhere and *say* you have the item for sale, run off with a money order, and leave the unsuspecting buyer high and dry) several automotive forums have begun requiring the following process when posting WTS posts in the Classifieds:

All "For Sale" threads MUST INCLUDE:

1) PICTURE OF THE ITEM WITH A SIGN CONTAINING THE DATE AND YOUR FORUM USERNAME

2) Asking Price

3) Accurate description of item (make, model, barrel length, finish, calber, etc) and its current condition

4) Location of seller (Zip Code)

5) Willingness to ship (shipping cost if known and which states you will or won’t ship to).

The first one is the important one. They’re basically requiring a “proof of life” photo to confirm the seller is actually in possession of the item for sale and not using a stock or copied photo from GunBroker or another Forum or source. Most people use a 3x5 card or any piece of scrap paper they have lying around, and they write their Forum User Name on it along with the date, which should match the date of the post.

The Forum Moderators delete any posts in the Classifieds that don’t meet the rules, which sit at the top with a Forum Sticky, and then email the offending party so they know what to fix if they want to repost their deleted ad.

At first I thought this was a hassle, particularly after I had a WTS post deleted by the moderators because I didn't read the rules, but now I think it adds a reasonable level of safety for the buyers. Especially with the price of firearms.

Just something to consider.

If you sell more than once on the classifieds you will learn the more pics and more info you disclose the less time you will spend answering pm's. I will note that after about a dozen transactions I have never had one go south.

Pecos, welcome to the SASS Wire!

You might consider hanging out here a bit and see how the Wire works before suggesting how to "improve" it.

You might consider hanging out here a bit and see how the Wire works before suggesting how to "improve" it.

Regardless, he has some very good ideas, and he's correct on the scams of the other forums. My son is on a Ford Mustang forum and he mentioned almost word for word the same scam. ;)

BSD

Sorry Woodfox but you are incorrect with the statement, I personally know of two that are not honest in their dealings. The vast majority of SASS are stand up folks and good to the bone. Of all of the people I meet none compare to the SASS folks when it comes to being honest and friendly. Every group or organization has a bad apple in it.

Sorry Woodfox but you are incorrect with the statement, I personally know of two that are not honest in their dealings. The vast majority of SASS are stand up folks and good to the bone. Of all of the people I meet none compare to the SASS folks when it comes to being honest and friendly. Every group or organization has a bad apple in it.

That be the greatest truth about our sport....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

After buying & selling a lot of items...including a bunch of firearms, I've NEVER had a problem :rolleyes: My old byline and belief is "If it ain't broke...don't fix it ;)

Well, the photo with a date and username sign is interesting, but easily faked. Those that are seeking to rip folks off would have no problem photoshopping a stock pic with the required sign.

Well, the photo with a date and username sign is interesting, but easily faked. Those that are seeking to rip folks off would have no problem photoshopping a stock pic with the required sign.

I guess you're right, I forget things like that since I need my kids just to turn on the dang computer! :lol:

BSD

It's OK to not buy from somebody who doesn't sign a timestamp, no need to inconvenience everybody else by requiring it.

I would like to see the state in the title, because I prefer FTF transactions. Some other gun forums require listing it.

Keeping non-SASS stuff away from the SASS stuff would also be nice.

:)

I was always taught that everyone's opinion has some value and is worth considering. It makes us look bad when we denigrate a person just because they are new. This fellow might be a top notch marketing manager who looked over the site and saw some room for improvements. We gain nothing from belittling a newbie, and we might just learn something.

A little homework would avoid most situations. Before sending money to someone, verify their address AND have a conversation with them. Call them and talk about it. Calling them verifies that at least at that moment, the phone number is correct. Them calling you does not accomplish this because with an iPhone (others also I'm sure), a call can be made and appear to be from any number they choose. Even this will not completely eliminate all possiblities for fraud as can be attested by Outlaw Gambler's recent experience, but it puts you one step closer to enabling law enforcement to find the offenders. Be extra cautious of addresses of mail box stores and P.O. boxes.

Don't be bashful about being cautious. Any decent seller will understand why you want them to "prove" they are who they say they are.

• 5 weeks later...

:rolleyes: I have never had a deal go bad either buying or selling .SASS members are people you can trust .Woodfox

Me neither. But of course, most Pards I deal with are bona-fide SASS members with some history on the forum.

I never Had a problem on the wire, and yes, photoshop etc are too easy to even consider the requirement of a "proof of life"

I ALMOST had a BIG problem once, selling a handgun to a feller on another forum, He pushed a little on the idea I could simply send it to him instead of FFL-FFL as the law requires. Good thing I insisted, as it turned out he was chief of detectives in his city..... To this day I dunno if he was looking to get the gun "off paper" or trolling to see if I'd bite so he could turn me in..... It don't matter, because I did what I was supposed to, and his check cashed...

Keep in mid that the people who sell on this site don't do it quite like your automotive sites.

There are no commercial sales allowed.

You must be a SASS member to sell. I never buy from new people who don't have a proven reputation.

A lot of the guys wouldn't know how to post a pic to save their lives.

Your suggestions are good if there is a problem of fraud on the classified. But those incidents are extremely rare.

Dear Mike,

Please don't take the criticisms of your ideas personally. We have had some problems in the past with "trolls," which has many folks treating newbies with extreme caution or skepticism.

I think your ideas are reasonable. I learned, at work, that sometimes new folks with "fresh eyes" can often provide valuable input, especially in process improvement.

I try to be helpful; but have found that not everyone feels the way I do about things. :unsure::rolleyes:;)

Welcome to the Wire and SASS! B)

Regards,

Allie Mo

This is an assemblage of (mostly) rugged individualists. Most of us are against any new rules, whether they be for competing in our sport or otherwise.

If you don't trust the ad, don't use the classifieds.

A lot of the guys wouldn't know how to post a pic to save their lives.

Bob, that's no excuse. If they're smart enough to read & type, they can learn. I did, & you did. I don't know how many times I've posted the instruction how to download their pics in one of the free photo hosting sites & then post a link to them in their classifieds ad. The moderators refuse to pin them, although I don't know why.

Something else posters should never do is put their phone number or address in an open forum. This forum is open to the public & anybody, including scumbags can get on here & read it. Then they know you have guns & can burglarize your home while you're away. That should be left to PMs or email. I agree the state one lives in & zip code should be mandatory in the profile when one joins the Wire.

I would have to agree that the majority (99.8%) percent of the folks

appreciate dealing on this forum. I've bought and sold many items

and I have never experienced a problem of any kind (except for the.02%)

which I will resolve shortly. SASS folks are a different bread and that's

the draw for most folks. Honest, friendly, helpful folks who enjoy our

sport! :mellow:

Happy trails

Quick Draw Grandpaw 48525

PS: I like the idea of removing non-sass items that are not gun related. :)

I would have to agree that the majority (99.8%) percent of the folks

appreciate dealing on this forum. I've bought and sold many items

and I have never experienced a problem of any kind (except for the.02%)

which I will resolve shortly. SASS folks are a different bread and that's

the draw for most folks. Honest, friendly, helpful folks who enjoy our

sport! :mellow:

Happy trails

Quick Draw Grandpaw 48525

PS: I like the idea of removing non-sass items that are not gun related. :)

SASS folks are a different breed indeed. AAMOF one of the things that I so love about the SASS community is the way a man's word is his bond, and a handshake or a "you got it" over the phone is all it takes to seal a deal. When I first got into the business end of SASS, making or buying and selling stuff to Cowboys, I had to UN-LEARN some of the hard learned lessons from previous business dealings.

Ya simply ain't gotta sweat 99.99% of the folks yer gonna meet in CAS/SASS. I've had a pard put an expensive rifle in my hands and say "don't sweat it, put a check in the mail when ya get home." I've had dealings with more than one vendor that didn't take credit cards, sent the stuff out, and relied on me to pay when I got the invoice. I've sold goodly quantities of stuff via credit card when I was at a shoot and had no provisions to "run" the sales through until I got home. NEVER had one bite me. NEVER had a bad check in the shop, etc. A different breed.....

I don't think that the non SASS items should be banned as a solid member could have a Remington Rand 45 that they don't want anymore or a Winchester model 101. The members of SASS should have a shot at buying those items. Now I would be in favor of having a different selling section for such items. We need to have members who are selling to update the adds more than what is being done at present. You see an item that has you interested and you click on and go through all the BS and see where the 12th poster said I will take it. This post was over 24 hours ago and the seller should have posted the sold info.

There is a cowboy feedback that you can go to, it hasn't been updated since Nov 22, 2010, www.cowboyshootinggallery.com/Feedback_forumhtml

I look at sometimes if interested in something, not everyone is on the list, but there are at least 4 or 5 pages of names, after so many years on here, you have a feeling who is good and who is not, have never been burned yet and I just buy.

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. Don't know who runs the feedback site, but it has been updated a few times

+ one Pecos

I have had five or ten deals and all have been good, most folks here go out of there way for "THE COWBOY WAY".

Archived