SASS Wire Forum

Dependable C & B ?

Jess Knotwright 61300

I shoot Ruger OA, Remingtons, and Colt navies. The most important step to dependable is the nipples and caps. Survey says replace stock nipples with Tresco nipples and Remington #10 caps.

ROA's and Remingtons are easier to maintain because you can get the cylinders out with no effort.

After shooting C&B for 10 years I have settled on ROA's with gunfighter grips, short barrel versions.

Also the ROA's and Remmie's can use the R&D replacement cylinders and abbot 45 Colt cartridges.

Ike

I used to shoot the Pietta Remingtons regularly and found them to be extremely reliable with Remington #10 caps. This formula worked almost to perfection well with the stock nipples also and at the time I had four of the pistols and enough of the cylinders to shoot a six stage match without a recharge. Best I can remember, even though the guns would go bang every time there would be a rare occasion in which a hot cap fragment would land on the web of the thumb and demand that you show how tough you were! Back thenthe Pietta Colt clones were a pretty sad affair when it came to popping caps consistently without performing some mods but I am happy to say that in the last two years I have purchased five new ones and all have checked out to be as reliable as the old Remingtons used to be. No experience here with the Rugers but then that just across the line from playing cowboy in my book. Kinda like loading an 870 up with bp shells and putting on a coonskin hat, something doesnt add up for me but then, my scores show that its not about a competition for me!

If I remember correctly the Colt open top style is better with dealing with fouling than a Remington. After about 3 reloads on my old Cabelas Remmie I bought for $99 back in '91 the cylinder would get difficult to rotate. At the Sabine Valley Muzzleloader shoots(Texas) there was a feller with his 1851 Colt abd it just kept going..and going...and going.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Outside of SASS on the re-enactor circuit I have heard alot of positive mentiones of the Roger and Spencer revolver.

You do not see many around at gun stores or gunshows when looking at BP guns but Dixie Gunworks does carry them - I believe they are a EUROARM product and I have never seen or heard a bad review on the pistol. However, I do not own one and have never fired one.

You can get 45lc conversion cylinders for it as well.

V/r

PR

I have figured out the load and lube combo on my ROA's and Remington's that let me shoot 12 stages with no problems. Of course I do clean them after whatever number of stages I shoot the first day of a big match just to make sure. I shoot 3f Goex. A wonder wad soaked in 50/50 bee's wax/crisco. Keeps everything free and lubed. I also lube the cylinder pin and cylinder face with Bore Butter. It melts as you shoot and keeps stuff free.

Ike

ROAs, Pietta & Uberti Colt Repros, Pietta & Uberti Remmie 1858s, when properly set up, are all 100% reliable in my experience.

I can't vouch for ASMs or Palmettos, but I have or have had all of the guns mentioned above & if the shooter sets them up properly with correct wedge fit, cylinder-to-frame fit, proper nips & caps, timing, etc. there is no reason to worry about them failing in a monthly or major match.

I've seen ROAs fail due to poor/improper maintainance, while my Pietta 1860s just keep on runnin.

With any gun, the shooter must do his part.

The current Piettas & Ubertis are well-made guns that only need a little work to make them 100% reliable IMHO.

--Dawg

I shoot 1847's, 1851's, 1860's, 1861's, and ROA's, and never had a mechanical problem with any of them, just an occasional cap jam with the Walkers, '51's, '60's, and '61's.

Any of the current replica C&B's will shoot reliably when properly tuned for cylinder clearance, hammer throw, main spring tension and added nipples.

I still think the 1851 and 1860 style are the best and at least period correct for SASS FR category.

I have two sets or 1860's tuned and in two years have only had two caps fail to fire the first time around. And, no just cap pops; all go off.

BUT, it takes about 2 to 3 hours of tuning to get it all right.

Ol' #4

Any of the current replica C&B's will shoot reliably when properly tuned for cylinder clearance, hammer throw, main spring tension and added nipples.

I still think the 1851 and 1860 style are the best and at least period correct for SASS FR category.

I have two sets or 1860's tuned and in two years have only had two caps fail to fire the first time around. And, no just cap pops; all go off.

BUT, it takes about 2 to 3 hours of tuning to get it all right.

Ol' #4

Not to take away from the thread already started but tune how or buy whom??? References for such would nice to know...I have not shot any of mine but have three or four sets hanging around...But would sure like to learn more...

Texas Lizard

I have several cap & Ball revolvers.

You know. 51's, Remingtons and Roger & Spencers.

I choose to shoot the Rogers & Spencers. I have two I have been shooting for more than 15 years. Out of the box they shoot well. I did change the nipples to Tresco and use Remington #10 caps. I did have all the chambers cut to be uniform. I had the front of the cylinder rounded slightly to stop the cutting of my holsters. No other work is necessary. No cap shioelds needed. Built in. No relieving the cylinder to get the cappers in. It's done.

I have had only two caps fail to fire. Most likely my fault. I have started having caps fall off while shooting. I noticed the nipples need to be reworked or replaced. Oh I also have a third as a back up gun. Never have had to use it. In fact it's still in the box un modified.

Most all the cap & ball revolvers can be made to work reliably. I chose the guns that shoot where I'm looking with out using the sights. They have very odd shaped grips and do not have the most comfortable feel when shooting. But I only hold the gun for about 4 or so seconds at a time, so not a problem to me.

They're big and heavy compared to the others. (not talking Walkers and Dragoons) But I really like them. They work for me.

My suggestion is to fine what feels good and points for you when making your choice.

Roger & Spencer History Part 1

There is lots of info out there if you look for it.

Just about everybody has heard of the value of Treso nips and Rem #10 caps.

I think it was Hellgate who had the article in the CC about filling Colt hammer faces with JB Weld

Frontiersman National Champion Split Rail had Lassiter weld up his hammer faces. As I shoot with Lassiter from time-to-time, I followed Split Rail's lead and had him do mine. However JB Weld works fine.

Aside from all the info available on this forum, you might try.....

Tuning Uberti Colts

Tuning Pietta Colts

Tuning Cap guns

replacement nipple cross reference chart

Book -- Black Powder Hobby Gunsmithing by Sam Fadala & Dale Storey

Websites like: the hobby gunsmith [www.hobbygunsmith.com], or the Brimstone Pistoleros

Forums like the CAS City SCORRS forum on Remmies.

That's a sample off the top of my head at my filtered work computer.

--Dawg

There is lots of info out there if you look for it.

Just about everybody has heard of the value of Treso nips and Rem #10 caps.

I think it was Hellgate who had the article in the CC about filling Colt hammer faces with JB Weld

Frontiersman National Champion Split Rail had Lassiter weld up his hammer faces. As I shoot with Lassiter from time-to-time, I followed Split Rail's lead and had him do mine. However JB Weld works fine.

Aside from all the info available on this forum, you might try.....

Tuning Uberti Colts

Tuning Pietta Colts

Tuning Cap guns

replacement nipple cross reference chart

Book -- Black Powder Hobby Gunsmithing by Sam Fadala & Dale Storey

Websites like: the hobby gunsmith [www.hobbygunsmith.com], or the Brimstone Pistoleros

Forums like the CAS City SCORRS forum on Remmies.

That's a sample off the top of my head at my filtered work computer.

--Dawg

Ask and you shall receive...info for the needs...Thank you...

Texas Lizard

If you want to increase the Remingtons dependability by several fold, buy a cylinder loading press. Unlike our educational system, the Remingtons do respond to throwing money at them. Just one set of extra cylinders added to the press will greatly improve the logistics on match day. But above all else, pulling those cylinders after each stage will prevent the fouling build up that locks these guns down and the speed/convenience of the press is our excuse for pulling them.

Archived