SASS Wire Forum

Where is a good place to buy bullets?

When I click .38 or .45 they show NO bullets.

When you click 45 (for example), a list of types of 45 will appear,click on one of the types.(wadcutter, round nose, etc).

I thought the same as you til someone else showed me how it works. If the types were in different colors or fonts it wouldn't have confused me

either

Well I got my ruger New vaquero today.--5-1/2" model in SS. .38/.357mag

I am now ready to start doing some reloading...bought me a Lee .357 die (they said I could use it for .38 special also) a friend of mine is giving me a cheapie Lyman press for free, its a one at a time deal nothing fancy, hey but its free. Bought me some Trail Boss powder and some federal primers. I have 300 rounds of Magtech ammo that I will be shooting this weekend and plan to use the brass for my reloading.

Congrats on yer new six-shooter and loading press.

Question, I need bullets, where is a good place to buy them. I am looking to shoot 125G --either LFP or LRN or I may get both.
Yer local cowboy caster just might be in a side bizness making & sellin' boolits. Check with other local shooters, they'll likely steer ya to the good'uns. Generally speakin' one wants to avoid pointy bullets in the levergun. I've seen some fairly pointy bullets that're labeled LRN. Make right certain you know what yer gettin.
What size bullet do I need to get for .38spec.
Again, generally speaking, you's want .358 in lead.
Any help would be appreciated-----post reply or PM me
My advice remains the same to any new reloader:

1 - You can never have too many reloading manuals, ones you've read and consult prior to EVERY reloading session. I've been loading for over 35 years, and I always consult my loading books, notes and manuals to confirm my loads before each session. EVERY session starts by zeroing my powder scale, setting it for the intended charge, then verifying powder measure throws THAT weigh consistently. Then I double check my dies for proper ssettings by loading at least one dummy cartridge to ensure that my seating & crimping depths are right.

2 - Find an experienced reloader that loads safe, reliable ammunition to act as a mentor. It'll be worth thrice whatever it costs you if you can emulate his results.

Nothing guarantees perfect ammo, but you sure wanna be no more than a knat's eyelash away from it.

The best price I've found on bullets is right here. I got another 2000 bullet order from him recently. He ships in USPS flat rate boxes too.

http://www.carolinacowboys.us/DepGene/bullets.htm

Moulton Lead is my recommendation. The owner,Paul Moulton, is the reigning Vermont State Champion and a great guy to do business with. His prices are great as is the quality. I loaded about 50,000 of his bullets last year in .32, .38 and .45 cal. Never had a problem. Give him a try and you won't be sorry. Shipping is cheap too.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use Moulton Lead -- good bullets. Now I use a local supplier, 2nd Chance Bullet Co. Their prices are competitive with anyone, and their shipping price cannot be beat. Where else can you get 10,000 bullets shipped for 20 bucks?

Archived