SASS Wire Forum

Where is a good place to buy bullets?

Well I got my ruger New vaquero today.--5-1/2" model in SS. .38/.357mag

I am now ready to start doing some reloading...bought me a Lee .357 die (they said I could use it for .38 special also) a friend of mine is giving me a cheapie Lyman press for free, its a one at a time deal nothing fancy, hey but its free. Bought me some Trail Boss powder and some federal primers. I have 300 rounds of Magtech ammo that I will be shooting this weekend and plan to use the brass for my reloading.

Question, I need bullets, where is a good place to buy them. I am looking to shoot 125G --either LFP or LRN or I may get both.

What size bullet do I need to get for .38spec.

Any help would be appreciated-----post reply or PM me

I am now ready to start doing some reloading...bought me a Lee .357 die (they said I could use it for .38 special also) a friend of mine is giving me a cheapie Lyman press for free, its a one at a time deal nothing fancy, hey but its free. Bought me some Trail Boss powder and some federal primers. I have 300 rounds of Magtech ammo that I will be shooting this weekend and plan to use the brass for my reloading.

Question, I need bullets, where is a good place to buy them. I am looking to shoot 125G --either LFP or LRN or I may get both.

http://www.clarksbullets.com/

RRR

Sounds like you have already done some research and picked a popular bullet. I like 125 grain truncated flat from Dash Caliber, a member here. He is very reliable and easy to deal with and they feed well in my Uberti 73. This is not a commercial posting, I don't work for him in any way, but I'm happy to endorse him and his products. Of course shipping is a factor and your profile doesn't mention where you are so you may find that aspect of cost prohibitive.

+1 great prices, quality product, you could use 105 gr. just fine in pistols, but 125 will work also. I use 105 for pistol, and 125 for rifle. Got that from the aforementioned Red River Ray, although it works a LOT better for him than it does for me.... :lol:

great replies guys----but one question------

What size bullet for shooting .38 special? I see that they are available in .357 and .358? What does the Vaquero like?

great replies guys----but one question------

What size bullet for shooting .38 special? I see that they are available in .357 and .358? What does the Vaquero like?

While not an absolute, generally .357 is for jacketed and .358 is for lead.

Chick

I wish someone with more experience than me, perhaps some of the other responders, would chime in and add to the discussion with regard to the composition of the bullets. I do know they absolutely must be lead, no gas checks or anything that could result in too high a velocity, or for that matter too low and the possibility of a squibb. I believe Cowboy Junky shoots up your way and he is far far more knowledgeable than I am. You may want to send him a pm. Also if you go to some local matches I'm sure you will meet cowboys with local contacts who can help you.

Three hundred cases is a very small lot size. Consider buying a few thousand, once-fired cases (many sources online). That will give you enough to tumble clean, load, have a few practise sessions and shoot a couple local matches. I don't even like to start loading unless I can crank out at least 500 rounds.

Bullets: .358 for lead bullets, RNFP or TC preferred. Don't overlook your local gun stores. They can provide good deals and may have what you need on the shelf. I too have an order in with Mastercraft Bullets. However, my order won't be filled for 6-weeks. I also buy from Bang 'n Clang - a local caster. There's no shipping since we load bullets from his tailgate to mine at local matches. Find a local caster and save shipping charges.

+1 for second chance bullets good bullets, great cost, exellent people to deal with, and pretty good shooters as well

www.mimamarauders.com/2ndChance.htm

I have been real happy with there 105's but I sometimes use there 125RNFP for my '92 when I break it out

How about supporting your local gun shop? I buy all my shooting supplies from my local shop. This includes powder, primers, bullets, Dillon reloading equipment & firearms. I have lost count but during the past 10 years my wife and I have probably purchased near 50 firearms from him. If I want something he will get it. If I need to ship a gun he will ship it. When I want to sell a firearm he gives me a fair price. Most times his prices are lower than the specials in other larger stores. If you want to buy a used gun he will let you try it. When there was a shortage of primers I always had some. My local dealer is almost 2 hours from my home but he is still the only place for me. Support you local shop and they will support you.

GUest:

were do you live?

The reason I ask is that there is a possibility you live in the same town as some very good bullet makers who might not even advertise. Alot of these folks crank out some top notch bullets for Cowboy shootin.

Locally, here in Knoxville, we have XCaliber bullets. In Michigan, there is a Cowboy up there that cranks out some of the best bullets for .38/.357 I've seen for Cowboy shootin.

Anyhow, tell us your location and you might have someone local to call and pick up what ya need without having to mail order.

..........Widder

Three hundred cases is a very small lot size. Consider buying a few thousand, once-fired cases (many sources online). That will give you enough to tumble clean, load, have a few practise sessions and shoot a couple local matches. I don't even like to start loading unless I can crank out at least 500 rounds.

He stated he has gotten a 'cheapie Lyman press for free'. I am going to assume that means a single stage press. Three hundred cases is plenty to start with on a single stage press. If he decides to move up to a progressive press, he can consider mass production.

GUest: Reading between the lines of your question, it sounds like you could benefit from a good reloading manual. Do you have one yet? If not, you really need one. Questions such as bullet diameter will be answered in a good manual. I recommend the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook for all your CAS needs. I also recommend the big Lyman book, Speer, Hornady, and Lee.

In general, lead bullets should be .001 oversize of rifling diameter, jacketed bullets should match rifling diameter.

GUest:

were do you live?

The reason I ask is that there is a possibility you live in the same town as some very good bullet makers who might not even advertise. Alot of these folks crank out some top notch bullets for Cowboy shootin.

Locally, here in Knoxville, we have XCaliber bullets. In Michigan, there is a Cowboy up there that cranks out some of the best bullets for .38/.357 I've seen for Cowboy shootin.

Anyhow, tell us your location and you might have someone local to call and pick up what ya need without having to mail order.

..........Widder

I am from Greenville, SC

Hi Fellow cowboy

The place is buy my lead is MOLTEN LEAD out of New Hampshire go on line and he is a nice guy to deal with and he ships fast and cheaply depending on how many you buy, He puts them in a usps box and mails them for about $13 postage and i think the box will hold up to 3000 rounds. Give him a try.

Connecticut Yankee

yea, if your in greenville, cowboy junkie would know of a local (or he might also use clarkbullets, randy gets around and there is no shipping chages, his bullets are very good quality)...

The bullets from Desperado are a good fit for both your pistols and will load to a good OAL for any rifle.

www.cowboybullets.com

Good luck,

Ol' #4

I'm pretty new to reloading, but I ordered my first batch of 500 .452s from these guys. Good experience, though I think my mailman was angry having to lug a box of 1500 pieces of lead up the stairs.

:lol::lol::lol:

I can't wait for my mail person to lug in the 10,000 Moulton Lead I just ordered.

Almost as much fun as a cat in a dark room with a laser. :rolleyes:

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

PS I really do like my mail person!!

:lol::lol::lol:

I can't wait for my mail person to lug in the 10,000 Moulton Lead I just ordered.

Almost as much fun as a cat in a dark room with a laser. :rolleyes:

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

PS I really do like my mail person!!

My mail person didn't even attempt delivery when I ordered 3,000 bullets from Moulton. They just put the missed delivery notice in the mailbox, and I had to go pick them up at the post office.

With the internet and the flat rate boxes and pricing the post office uses, closeness to home is immaterial.

These people produce one of the best cast bullets I've ever seen and I've used a LOT of brands previously. Good Pricing too. Check them out.

http://www.dardascastbullets.com

When I click .38 or .45 they show NO bullets.

Archived