SASS Wire Forum

Stainless rifles

Guest Cactus Kniha

Guest Cactus Kniha

I am thinking about getting into CAS and I was just wondering are Stainless rifles legal to use? The handbook didn't seem to mention it.

Thanks!

I am thinking about getting into CAS and I was just wondering are Stainless rifles legal to use? The handbook didn't seem to mention it.

Thanks!

Yes - I've been using a Rossi 92 in SS since they introduced it!

Shadow Catcher

I bring along a SS Marlin as a backup rifle for my wife and I. It's great in wet weather. I hope to have it engraved by Aspen Filly this year. Its shiny, flat surface begs adornment.

I live in Far Northern Ca, where it really likes to rain... a lot.

I have a SS, 24" EMF in .45LC on the way, as we write, from Nate Kiowa Jones.

Can't wait!

BTW, SS pistolas are leeegal too!

From the Movie My Name is Nobody:

Jack Beauregard: You shine like the door of a whorehouse. A blind man could spot you ten miles off.

Nobody: I like folks to see me.

Jack Beauregard: Maybe folks don't share your pleasure.

The best advice I can give you is go to some matches, look at guns and handle them before buying your first gun. If you don't, I guarantee you in time you'll wish you had. The best place to look at folks' guns is at the unloading table after the guns have been cleared. The shooter has completed the stage, has a big smile on their face and is likely to be more than happy to show you and tell you why they shoot their particular set of guns.

I cannot tell you how many times I have had newbies show up at a match gunned up and ready to go only to soon find that buying guns is not like buying a Chevrolet Impala and deciding what color you want. All sinlge actions are not created equal and the same is true of rifles and shotguns. Be an informed buyer.

Welcome to the game. You're about to make more friends that you've ever imagined.

Guest Cactus Kniha

How about 44 mag in a rifle is that legal. I'm a bit confused on the classes I've been reading about in the handbook. Are the subclasses within these classes?

How about 44 mag in a rifle is that legal. I'm a bit confused on the classes I've been reading about in the handbook. Are the subclasses within these classes?

so long as you are shooting all lead bullets at a velocity below what the handbook specifies (in your rifle <1400 FPS or pistol <1000 FPS) no problemo :)

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Within a category such as 49'r (and all others), you will have lady 49'r. I'm not certain I understand what you are asking. It's a good think that you're reading the handbook, but without going to a match and seeing for yourself and allowing others to point out the differences in one category vs. another, it's kind of like reading instructions on how to assemble a swing set witout ever having seen a swing set.

Take it from someone who read and read and read about CAS before going to my first match, once I was there, it was MUCH easier to understand when someone would point at a certain shooter and say, "He is shooting Classic Cowboy. He has chosen five things to wear from a list. He is shooting 40 caliber or larger. His rifle will be either a 1866 (examples to be seen) or a 1873 or a Henry (examples of all available). His shotgun will be either a hammered double or an 1887. He must shoot his pistols duelists or double duelist style. He must wear a felt hat. Duelist is another category, but double duelists is a shooting style. You can shoot double duelist style in any of the duelists category, classic cowboy, gunfighter or for that matter you could shoot it in any category...but you probably wouldn't want to. One thing leads to another and while it seems complicated, it's really not.

In short, there are a lot of things that you could be told in person that would make much more sense in a shorter period of time. Every thing is in the handbook...but is not as easily understood in written form, be it in the handbook or written on the Wire.

I started with a used Rossi '92 stainless in .357. After a tuning job and new sights, I added a Durocoat finish in oxide black and refinished the wood in tung oil. This rifle now closely matches my 1892 made in 1902. I found the gun for $250 and have kept it as a backup.

Archived