SASS Wire Forum

LITE 38 reloads

Coalman

I wanted to know if somebody could point me in the right direction as to find a lite 38 useing 125's and titegroup or trailboss Thanks If possible a website or e-mail me if you want Thanks again Coal Man

You shouldn't hear anything if you have your ear plugs in !!!!!!!

Have you actually ever heard a mouse fart?

Well I have and it doesn't sound anything like the bullets I shoot!

http://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html

From the people that make the stuff.

Howdy Larsen, I don't know why but you can no longer get to the PDF Basic Reloading Manual from that site. It used to be listed, it broke everything down to rifle, pistol, and "Cowboy Action". I still have the hard copy they sent out a few years ago. Anyway, here's the link if you every need it, Cowboy Action starts on page 30. Good Luck :)

Hodgon PDF Basic Manual

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Define a mouse fart load please. Using the starting load for 125's with Titegroup (it's what I use) will turn out a round with a 107 power factor. Sixty is the minimum required by SASS, but if you start trying to get down there with Titegroup, you'll find inconsistentcy that will make you draw up into a ball wondering when the squib will come.

The Trail Boss starting load will get you down to a 94 power factor. Just be careful when you start going under the starting load. If you do so to the point that you can distinguish a difference in the report from one round to another...it's just a matter of time before you (or others) will pay the price. It could be the loss of time or the loss of a gun or worse.

Just to be clear, I'm not opposed to light loads as long as they remain SASS legal AND safe.

Have you actually ever heard a mouse fart?

Well I have and it doesn't sound anything like the bullets I shoot!

You have to feed him more Jalapenos in his Monterey Jack cheese, then there is a very loud almost

supersonic squeal associated with the shot, followed by a sighing sound . . .

Ask me how I know . . . .

SC

Friend, if ye tryin ta do good in this game ye headin in tha wrong direction! I know some quick shooters that play down there but I don't know ANY good shooters that do! Gist fer what its worth.

RRR

Friend, if ye tryin ta do good in this game ye headin in tha wrong direction! I know some quick shooters that play down there but I don't know ANY good shooters that do! Gist fer what its worth.

RRR

Ditto to what RRR sed.

Ifn your tryin to become a GOOD, fast and efficient shooter, ya want your bullets down range fast and on target.

..........Widder

Right know I am using 3.o of titegroup with 125's. I have to load a bunch up and I was just asking. I don't wont do anything that is not safe I was basically looking for a source for reloading data that was tested and published I went online and didn't really find anything and was hoping for somebody to point me in the right direction I want to thank everyone for the e-mails and the replies CoalMan

Coalman;

I just checked my Hodgdon Cowboy Action data manual 4th edition and per their data

their minimun load for 125 gr. bullet is .2 gr. above what you stated you are using.

Might consider bumping yours up by that much.

Marshal Stone

RRR

Ditto to what RRR sed.

Ifn your tryin to become a GOOD, fast and efficient shooter, ya want your bullets down range fast and on target.

..........Widder

Ditto what RRR and Widder said, if you go too low you get to the point of diminished returns.

Coalman;

I just checked my Hodgdon Cowboy Action data manual 4th edition and per their data

their minimun load for 125 gr. bullet is .2 gr. above what you stated you are using.

Might consider bumping yours up by that much.

Marshal Stone

Yep, might need to give it a little bump, that's the load I started with before I changed to Red Dot. One thing I liked about Titegroup is how consistant it meters. FWIW, we are not allowed to post load data here on the wire, PMs are ok. Good Luck. :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

If you are looking for a medium load with a little lighter recoil, the Trail Boss loads work well. Generally folks find that a middle of the recommended loading from Hodgdon site is best. The lighter listed loads get pretty dirty for most folks.

Tight Group also has more bark (louder) and more felt recoil for about the same load as Clays, Red Dot, etc.

Try Solo 1000. It's consistant in all weather and climate conditions and works the same no matter what angle you shoot from. Also can be used at the lowest recommended loads.

Last time I was accused of shooting mouse fart loads, I swapped guns with the guy. Shot his Big Man 45's and he shot my Wimpy 38's. Same result, he was still slower and missed alot. My times were the same shooting his 45's as my 38's. My 38 130 grain bullets chrono out @ 850 fps. I aint the best shooter out there, however I've won a match or two. If you wait to hear the sound of a bullet clanging steel you're wasting time, it's tough to get a good rythym down when you shoot light loads.

LL'

Reloading data favors traillboss.

Reloading data MAY favor Trailboss, But Clays outperforms it hands down, and not just in 38/357 either.

RBK

Last time I was accused of shooting mouse fart loads, I swapped guns with the guy. Shot his Big Man 45's and he shot my Wimpy 38's. Same result, he was still slower and missed alot. My times were the same shooting his 45's as my 38's. My 38 130 grain bullets chrono out @ 850 fps. I aint the best shooter out there, however I've won a match or two. If you wait to hear the sound of a bullet clanging steel you're wasting time, it's tough to get a good rythym down when you shoot light loads.

LL'

You mean person. You broke his crutches. :) It doesn't matter what caliber a shooter is shooting, a good shooter is a good shooter. It's been my experience that a shooter who is always talking about how potent his loads are couldn't quickly poke holes in the broad side of a barn... from inside the barn.

Louisiana Lightnin, on 20 April 2011 - 11:10 PM, said:

LL'

You mean person. You broke his crutches. :) It doesn't matter what caliber a shooter is shooting, a good shooter is a good shooter. It's been my experience that a shooter who is always talking about how potent his loads are couldn't quickly poke holes in the broad side of a barn... from inside the barn.

Well, its been a while since I hit this ball of snakes with a stick so what the heck, here goes. Together these two posts demonstrate two of the great logical fallacies that arise when the subjects of light loads comes up on the wire.

The key claim of the first statement is that shooting light loads doesn't make any difference, its all in the skill of the shooter. Which makes me wonder, if that is true, why do so many people use them? Of course they have an effect. Also, who cares how you did in comparison to the other shooter (who you admit is worse than you), what effect did shooting 45s have on your own score? Did they make you faster? Somehow I doubt it.

The second statement goes a little further and becomes something of an ad hominem attack on every one who points out the obvious untruth of the first statement. People who shoot 45s, as a class just can't shoot and any attempt to point out the fallacy of the "shooting 38s don't make a difference" claim is just an attempt to avoid that fact. That is just bull and anyone with the sense God gave a gnat knows it.

Anyway, I don't care what you shoot, and I don't really care what lies you tell your self and folks too polite to laugh when they hear them, but don't expect me to believe them :lol:

Anyway, flame on! Its been a while since this chestnut turned up on the wire and I just couldn't help joining in the fun. :P

Pard,

Checking your reoading data AFTER loading your ammo is like closing the barn door after the horse got out. Do yourself a big favor and buy some relosding manuals. You can save some bucks by buying them used on ebay.

Your loads are below minimium, check out;

http://www.reloadammo.com/38loads.htm

Archived