SASS Wire Forum

Trichotomy in SASS?

We are members and customers and volunteers all at once. Sometimes we forget that the customer is always right. Sometimes we forget that the volunteer has given all they have to give. Sometimes we forget that the member has rights as well as responsibilities.

We pay large sums of money to attend a match. We travel great distances to see old friends and make new ones and as customers we have a right to expect certain things from the business we paid, for services and, in the form of the match, goods. We sometimes forget that the volunteer on the other end of the table donated hours of their personal time to put shooters packets together only to be yelled out for being unable to accommodate every posse request.

As volunteers we spend months planning for an annual match. We stay up late writing stages every month and get up early to set steel only to find our work unappreciated for a target too small or sequence too complicated. We sometimes forget that people have a choice to spend their time and money elsewhere. We take offense to criticism, critiques, or complaints and we wonder why we cant fill the rosters. As spotters or timers or brassers, we owe the same attention, courtesy, and benefit of the doubt that we would want for ourselves.

As members, we have the right to expect that a certain set of rules in place are enforced to ensure that we are all playing the same game regardless of where we play. We sometimes forget that we have the responsibility to play by the rules and not wait to be caught, questioned or challenged by a volunteer or customer who didnt come with the expectation of having to ask someone else to play by those same rules.

Lets all try to remember that we are all three at any given time and be sensitive to each other’s positions. Is there ever a need to be rude or use insults to make your point? I hope not.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

AMEN to that!

The fundamental prerequisite of democracy is the willingness to engage in civil discourse, even when the other party doesn't agree with you. Seems pretty basic, and it definitely applies here.

Nice post, Charlie.

Cheers,

FJT

Trichotemy huh, pard I had to look that word up in my Funk & Wagnalls...had to blow the dust off it too.

Post was right on and well said.

Isn't that a surgery performed with a parts of a ball point pen by guys like Mac Guyver?

Ah yes, democracy.

Call me a reactionary but I prefer the good old days. ;^)

Very Best Regards,

BJT

The fundamental prerequisite of democracy is the willingness to engage in civil discourse, even when the other party doesn't agree with you. Seems pretty basic, and it definitely applies here.

Nice post, Charlie.

Cheers,

FJT

Archived