SASS Wire Forum

Hats, Costuming, MD Issues, & etc ...

No, the subtitle is not some cyberpunk spelling exercise ...

As long as things are riled up on these topics, I figured I'd provide another porch to sit and argue on.

The original thread that got everyone fired up was about hats. By his own admission, the OP went to a shoot, argued with between one and four people ... including one pard who obviously spent a great deal of time and money on his Civil War persona only to have the OP display his ignorance about boots ... then gets on the wire and argues with several more people up to and including insulting another man's wife. Helluva first impression.

In the resulting thread, he kept crowing about how many people agreed with his position. Having some time to kill I reviewed the posts, and it seems there are about four who fully agree and somewhere in the neighborhood of thirty plus who took either an ambivalent view or were of the "we're an Old West shooting sport so get a hat and learn to get along". So that's about 91% ... brings to mind Simon & Garfunkel's The Boxer "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest".

So to the acronyms: RaW and SoTL ... Rules As Written and Spirit of The Law.

"So is not wearing a hat at a shoot an example of where people slide inside the law/rules/regulations just to see how far they can push the line? I would have to disagree if you do."(Gold Canyon Kid)

Actually, that's exactly what we've got here.

It's called Gaming The System and can be defined as using the rules and procedures meant to protect a system to instead manipulate the system for a desired outcome.

Another definition would be a participant in a rules-based environment who attempts to use the letter of the law without reference to the spirit, usually in order to gain an advantage within that environment. Or just to be obstinate.

It can also be called "rules lawyering", which is the following of the letter over, or contrary to the spirit of the law. It's manipulating the rules to achieve a personal advantage. It may also mean acting in an antisocial, irritating manner while technically staying within the bounds of the rules.

So technically, not wearing a hat is OK, but is it within the spirit of the organization? I think not. Several other posters have already made their position clear, including Cole Hart, Aunt Jen, and Allie Mo amongst others. All very eloquently, I might add.

Let's look at this a different way. As a Christian, I'm not required to wear any head covering when attending a religious service. However, when invited to a Jewish wedding or Bar Mitzvah would I wear a yarmulke if offered one? Out of respect for my hosts and their beliefs and traditions, yes I would. Not to compare a religion to a shooting sport, but we are talking about tradition. And when one thinks of the Old West, the first traditional image that comes to mind is the cowboy hat.

"And just like every other rule in SASS - you are supposed to enforce the written rule, not your spin on it, or what you think the rule should be." (Creeker)

As I recall, Jesus had a number of debates with the Pharisees, and some of them had a very legalistic opinion of rules too. He took a rather dim view of their position.

During the Protestant Reformation, one prominent theologian said of one denomination "By rote they eat, by rote they drink, by rote they do all but think".

It's not unlike Zero Tolerance policies in schools - no thought or judgement required on the part of the school administrator ... just follow the rules.

Right now there's another thread running, and the topic is footwear. By enforcing the written rule, we would turn away a shooter who shows up in orthopedic shoes that look like athletic shoes. Do we want that? No. Would the MD bend the rule and make an exception? I would hope so. Yes, there is a rule but common sense and good judgement have to factor in.

Spirit of The Game ... Spirit of The Law ... Rules As Written. I think Cole Hart's comments in another thread provide a good summation:

"I would assert that individualism is good, but an "anything goes" mentality will ultimately lead to a collapse of an organization. People who believe there is only one way to do things are nearly as bad in my mind as those who think anything goes, but I'm a lot more comfortable with people who recognize unwritten rules and codes than those who think themselves the center of the universe".

If I wanted to participate in Ghetto Action Shooting I'd get a pair of sneaks, a sideways ball cap , hang my jeans off my butt and hold my shooter on it's side.....

Play by the rules. Get a hat and some boots. Get period shirts and pants like the rest of the shooters or sit at home.

I've been reenacting for 35+ years. Real document every article, count your stitches historical reenacting as a colonial settler, militia, Native American and Confederate infantry.

If some yahoo showed up at an 18th century event wearing polyester and toting a caplock, they did not stay and participate.

I shoot with NCOWS and SASS , so all of my gear was bought with the stricter discipline in mind.

All the pondering and "what if" scenarios should be handled at the lowest level of the organization involved before you ever set foot on the range.

Mingo

Captain Woodrow,

I tend to agree with what you have written and find it well thought out. I did pose one question that people evidently breezed right past. I will offer it up again with a little elaboration here, if you don't mind:

Out of curiosity, if a person takes pains to dress "old time western" with period appropriate pants and suspenders, perhaps a banded collar shirt requiring a separate collar, tie, watch and chain, etc, but foregoes the hat, then what? For example, he wants to play the part of someone typically seen indoors without a hat. Barkeep, bank clerk, etc... Is he somehow worse than the person who always shows up in jeans, modern western boots, button up shirt (no button down collar of course) and modern style straw cowboy hat?

I won't say I always will, but the latter description fits how I will be showing up for shoots for awhile. I find it unfathomable to believe that I am the better example of a SASS shooter solely because I have a modern, shaped, Stetson straw hat.

On the wall in my bedroom is a Colt poster: "Real Cowboys Shoot Colts". Wild Bill is not wearing a hat on his period correct shoulder length hair. There are times I don't wear a hat on my period correct shoulder length hair either. Sorry if I destroy the mood for some of you.

Let's get back to some important issues that ruin the ambiance of a match like Ruger Blackhawks and Winchester 97s. :lol:

Actually, that's exactly what we've got here.

It's called Gaming The System and can be defined as using the rules and procedures meant to protect a system to instead manipulate the system for a desired outcome....

Nice post, Captain.

Aunt Jen

Gentleman, it seems to me that the issue isn't the hat at all but the Rules that govern the wearing of the hat or not. I can remember a situation when I was an active Law Dawg. I stopped person, in a vehicle, for disregarding a Red traffic signal. This person became irate and in no uncertain terms told me that I should be out catching bank robbers instead of harrasing him. I calmly explained to this person that I didn't know who to believe anymore. A look of confusion followed by a " What do you mean by that"? Well sir, I just happened to catch a bank robber yesterday and he told me that I should be writing tickets instead. I guess the moral to the story is that different things are more important to different people. If you want the rules changed then bring it to the powers that be. Hopefully they will write them so they can't be misunderstood.

Respectfully submitted,

DS

Nowhere in the rules does it say you have to wear a hat except in the 'dress' categories.

How do you know the WB's original intent or the "SotL'? Should we just assume?

Most of us wear a hat, just like most men 100+ years ago did, but did all men 100+ years ago wear a hat? I doubt it very much. We think it makes good sense, and it does, but is it required to be period correct? No. Is it required by SASS rules? No.

I don't think we should harangue anybody for not fitting our perception of what should be. And if we let the fact that somebody is not wearing a hat ruin our day the problem is not with the non-hat wearer.

Possum

On the wall in my bedroom is a Colt poster: "Real Cowboys Shoot Colts". Wild Bill is not wearing a hat on his period correct shoulder length hair. There are times I don't wear a hat on my period correct shoulder length hair either. Sorry if I destroy the mood for some of you.

Let's get back to some important issues that ruin the ambiance of a match like Ruger Blackhawks and Winchester 97s. :lol:

Was he indoors or out? Is it a drawing or photo? All the photos of him hatless that I have been able to find were taken indoors. Not saying that there are none of him bare headed outdoors, but they seem to be passing rare.

Long hair? Yeah, some had it. Most didn't. Arguing from the exception is a dangerous thing. For example, I can point to this, With Apologies to Miss Allie Mo and make the claim that it is period correct for men to wear womens bonnets.

Dig through the images here: http://www.ghostcowboy.com/node/102 and here http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2011/02/23/from-the-archive-frontier-life-in-the-west/

A very few men are bare headed, and I haven't been able to make out any with period correct shoulder length hair.

If I wanted to participate in Ghetto Action Shooting I'd get a pair of sneaks, a sideways ball cap , hang my jeans off my butt and hold my shooter on it's side.....

Play by the rules. Get a hat and some boots. Get period shirts and pants like the rest of the shooters or sit at home.

I've been reenacting for 35+ years. Real document every article, count your stitches historical reenacting as a colonial settler, militia, Native American and Confederate infantry.

If some yahoo showed up at an 18th century event wearing polyester and toting a caplock, they did not stay and participate.

I shoot with NCOWS and SASS , so all of my gear was bought with the stricter discipline in mind.

All the pondering and "what if" scenarios should be handled at the lowest level of the organization involved before you ever set foot on the range.

Mingo

SASS is NOT a reanactment sport (though those that go all out authentic time frame are respected) and some of us enjoy the 'fantasy' aspect of the game - ranging from authentic period cowboy to a silver screen hero ...sure, the guidelines are written per customing, and you and I may understand that. Yet, when talking about newcomers to the sport - a couple of shoots at most that..we should kindly help encourage the participant who is not looking anywhere 'near' of a vision of the old west or cowboy movie type to assimilate to us, just maybe that involves us to help them 'get it' in a friendly manner ..

GG ~ :FlagAm:

If I'm out of character will that be enforced?

Rosado Hombre Lobo=pink man wolf or as my screen name on other forums would read, pinkiewerewolf.

I'm soooo cracker white that when I get some sun I turn pink real quick. Or when I get out of a hot bath, I'm day-glow red.. Then imagine the most wicked werewolf face a person with natural fangs can make with a flashlight in the dark. I mean, I can scare 4 year olds into calling for their Mommas.

But, I can't walk around like that all day! I can maybe "wolf out" a couple of times a year at a shoot. The moon is only full during so many of the local shoots.

And then, what if someone brings a horse or a mule and I wolf out and it spooks them?

Oh, the humanity... I can see the DQs, and P's adding up and they might as well mark me at the bottom of the scorecard at each match.

And I'm in the middle of a personal problem. I'm bald as a cue ball most of the time and can appreciate wearing a hat but when I'm wolfified and all furry I have a hard time keeping the hat on and it gets itchy and it pinches my ears, etc... so, I'm hat on/hat off...

Plus, some people want to make a hat out of me.

I'm in a real pickle.

Maybe one of those hat strings to hold my Stetson behind my head? Whats the worst that can happen, I teethe on it?

(BTW, I like the outfits. I just don't like pushy, bossy people. They are tough chewing.)

Gunner Gatlin,

Well said. I wish I had said that myself. Grown-ups don't get to scold one another, that's a parental priviledge. At most you can influence someone, and that involves conversation, joking even between equals. Adults don't take to drive-by criticism. More things are allowed of friends than of strangers.

Let me tell you a quick story...

When I was a young police officer I signed up for a "community policing" shift in a low income housing project area. I was paired with an even younger officer and we walked our zone, stopping to talk to kids and adults as we went along the streets. The idea was that people are more likely to trust you if you make yourself available to them on a regular basis. As we came to one unit a young man sat on the steps and watched up approaching. We said, "Hello, hows your night?" as we came even with him on the sidewalk. He replied, "I don't want to talk to no punka$$ cops." My partner got red in the face and swayed like he wanted to move in on the man. I just nodded and said something to the effect of, "OK sport." Then I pointed down the sidewalk to the next housing unit for my partners benefit and moved on. After we walked a short distance my partner said, "Why did you let that guy punk you out?"

"First, that guy can't punk me out. I'm here to do a job, it isn't personal and he isn't breaking the law. What would we do, charge him with felony mouthing off?"

My point is that you have to respect boundaries. That guy laid down his boundary and was within his rights to do so. Until you get mutual agreement you don't cross boundaries unless you have the right and authority to do so. A badge doesn't give me the right, a violation of the law does.

So even if you're a Match Director, you should be cautious in how you enforce the rules. Be certain that you understand the rules and the intent before proceeding and don't let your own opinions set you on a path where you are more wrong than the person you're correcting. Now, if there is a relationship there, you can commit some time and friendly attention to someone in hopes of influencing them.

But, unless their clear rule violation has given you the authority, you don't force your opinion.

Of course, you can always campaign for a change in the rules..."Misdemeanor Mouthing Off, anyone?"

Hmmmmmmm, Ghetto Action Shooting..............there's an idea an enterprising person could find a way to make some $$ off of.

Baggy pants, sideways Raiders hats. Instead of a sherriffs badge with your number on it - gold tooth caps. A stage could be empty your glocks sideways, get in a Caddy and empty your Tek 9 in a drive-by ' then steal a purse and buy some crack . Kind of a live action version of the Grand Theft Auto game on Play Station.

Bet you could make a million dollars :lol:

For those who feel strongly that a hat should be required, take it to you TG and get them to propose a new rule to that effect and have it voted on at the convention. I would put money on it NOT passing.

Until then, it's not a rule, you should not be enforcing it as such. If your club chooses to make a hat a requirement they are free to do so.

Have any of you actually seen the videos of the first couple years of CAS and of SASS? If you do you would not be making stupid comments about how the sport was started and what the founding fathers wanted folks to be wearing.

I personally don't much care what other shooters are wearing other than to admire some of the more elaborate/creative outfits I've seen. I like the cowboy look and within budget and competitive constraints I intend to dress as cowboy as I can, including a cowboy hat. I like the shooting even more, which is why I keep my long hair back in a pony tail while doing it, so it won't interfere.

Having said that, and read the original thread about hats, I have mixed feelings. If it's not in the rule book I don't see how it can be enforced, nor why anyone would want to try. On the other hand the OP of the original hat thread seemed to get a fair amount of pleasure out of pushing as close to the edge of the rules as he could and letting folks know he didn't much care what others think. That doesn't sound much like the clubs I've been to down south and I don't think I would much enjoy the company of either the person insisting on hats or the person arguing with him and taking so much pleasure in being able to trumpet his 'rightness'.

Seems like an inability to realize that different people play the game for different reasons and it's structured to allow room for all, if people just use a little empathy and basic politeness, which every cowboy I've met ftf has thus far (not always true on the wire so your mileage may vary).

Any time someone approaches a situation with complete disregard for other's priorities, or a desire to broadcast the correctness of their position theres likely going to be conflict, and I suspect that none of us go to matches for that, though some clearly come on the wire for it.

When I first started looking at SASS I was intrigued by the fact that here was a group of folks that were playing cowboys just like I did when I was a kid, with one exception when I was a kid I had a cap gun and my imagination. No cowboy hat, boots, shirt, spurs but I could act like I did.

Now I’m given a chance to play cowboys again and this time I can use my imagination and come up with all kind of characters to play. I have adopted the persona of a Scout and my handle is THEYWALKAMONGUS (scout) I pick that name/alias so I could move from one getup to another like a Wagon Train Scout, a Calvary Scout, a Buffalo Hunter, and Mountain Man and so on they all walked among us. :)

And then I look around at a match and I see other folks dressed up as gunfighters, bartenders, ranch hands, saloon girls, store keepers and so on, and man I’m in heaven.

Then the MD, RO sets the stage and puff I’m playing out a scene like back in the day but instead of cap guns I’m shooting the real thing pistols, shotgun and a rifle. Man oh Man!!!

But that’s just me; and I can also see the gamers that don’t gave a darn about dressing up; all they want to do is try to best everyone on the time it takes to get through the stage.

That’s not a bad thing it’s just not what some of the players are there for.

I read that everyone was welcome but you were asked to come dressed as one would in the 1860 to 1900 time frame, to me that is not a RULE but a request and like a good guest you should comply with said request. ;)

A hat or no hat; just make your persona one that would not always wear a hat. It takes time to develop a costume and a new shooter should be given time and some advice on where to look to come up with one. :D

Scout

Wow, I have never seen so many people who shoot only clean matches and win every shoot they go to.

If I spent as much time on this silly costume issue as some, I'd never be any good at shooting.

Bye now, I gotta go practice so I can be the best in the world and then argue about some other fellows clothes.

I read that everyone was welcome but you were asked to come dressed as one would in the 1860 to 1900 time frame, to me that is not a RULE but a request and like a good guest you should comply with said request. ;)

Scout

Here's the way I read it, taken from the Shooters's Handbook, page 3 (the emphasis in bold is mine to highlight my response to the above):

CLOTHING AND ACCOUTERMENTS

Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday

morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but

all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television

series.

SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the

uniqueness of our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the

friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors.

All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be

costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies,

dances, etcetera.

ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how

it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television.

.......As I read it, it's guests who are "encouraged," and participants "must."

While an individual can interpret things in many ways, the wording does lend credence to advocates of following the rules. I think wearing such as is stated is a must for shooters. It's all part of the game.

Aunt Jen

Aunt Jen

Captain Bill you've hit the nail on the head in all aspects of your post. Very well written to say the least. I would like to add, that if one could remove the extremism from both sides you'd be left with a group that doesn't want to be told how to dress or conduct their business. Point taken and easily understood. On the other end of the spectrum you'd be left with a group that is in fear of what is held dear to Single Action Shooting "COULD" somehow be lost piece at a time if this is allowed to continue. First it would be the hats, then the footwear, then pants, then.... You get the idea. Both sides I'm sure well intentioned, but in the heat of the Wire it all goes to he77 in a hen basket and quickly I might add. We have rules for a reason and that is to follow them (not unwritten ones), but also if your at an Irish club that wants its shooters to wear a green clover pin at its shoots, by golly pin it on and don't beef about it. I'm sure that there may be "clubs" that have an "internal" hat rule or other dress code if they so choose, but that's NOT SASS as it's an individual club thing to be followed at that club only and should be. Smithy.

Some of you folks have quoted the right parts of the book but just have no idea what the words mean. You should pick a historical or movie western character and engage it fully.

I picked Black Jack Traven from the movie "Shadow Riders". Now Jack Traven had two things that attracted me to the character. He is completely lazy ("lot of men seen me do a lot of things but not one has seen me raise a sweat") and he has a certain relaxed standard about the women he keeps company with. He spends the whole movie on the run from a cuckolded cop.

Now a feller like that is gonna be poor and he is gonna leave very quickly through back windows. He is gonna leave a few hats behind and it is gonna take some time before he can afford to replace them.

I would be guilty of not having the (insert choral hymn music here), The Spirit of the Game, if I did not occasionally shoot without a hat.

Now I wish all you folks that understand how to make rules out of something that ain't there would go back to interpreting the Constitution and stop trying to confuse people here about a really fun game. It is a game, remember, not a religion.

Cheers,

BJT

Here's the way I read it, taken from the Shooters's Handbook, page 3 (the emphasis in bold is mine to highlight my response to the above):

CLOTHING AND ACCOUTERMENTS

Cowboy Action Shooting is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday

morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but

all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television

series.

SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the

uniqueness of our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the

friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors.

All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be

costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies,

dances, etcetera.

ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how

it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television.

.......As I read it, it's guests who are "encouraged," and participants "must."

While an individual can interpret things in many ways, the wording does lend credence to advocates of following the rules. I think wearing such as is stated is a must for shooters. It's all part of the game.

Aunt Jen

Aunt Jen

Aunt Jen, howdy mama; :blush::)

First off you are right in chapter and verse of what the shooters’ handbook says, and I think that what I said was confusing as to what I was talking about.

The handbook is talking about State Match, Regional Match, National Match or World Match and I was thinking/talking about Local Club Matches. ( out of the handbook SASS endorses Regional

matches conducted by affiliated clubs and annually produces END of TRAIL, the World

Championship of Cowboy Action Shooting & Wild West Jubilee™

The truly unique aspect of Cowboy Action Shooting™ is the requirement(requirement n. Something that is required; a necessity. Something obligatory; a prerequisite) placed on

authentic period or western screen dress. Each participant is required to adopt a shooting alias

appropriate to a character or profession of the late 19th century, or a Hollywood western star,

and develop a costume accordingly.

The way I understand it a Club MD, TG can let the Club make their own rules as how to dress, for example at least one Club here in South Carolina shooters wear short paints and short shirtsleeves in the summer heat, but they MUST wear a western hat and boots.

What is OUTLAWED again at SASS endorses Regional

matches conducted by affiliated clubs and annually produces END of TRAIL, the World

Championship of Cowboy Action Shooting & Wild West Jubilee™

OUTLAWED

The use or presence of any outlawed item is a Stage Disqualification.

Modern shooting gloves.

Short sleeve shirts (Male competitors only)

Short sleeve tee shirts, long sleeve tee shirts, and tank tops for all competitors. Long

sleeved Henley type shirts with buttons are acceptable.

Modern feathered cowboy hats (Shady Bradys). Straw hats of traditional design (e.g.,

Stetson, Bailey, sombreros,) are acceptable.

Designer jeans

Ball caps

All types of athletic shoes or combat boots no matter the material from which they are

constructed.

Nylon, plastic, or Velcro accouterments.

The displaying of manufacturer’s, sponsor’s or team logos on apparel. Manufacturer’s

labels on such apparel or equipment are acceptable.

Scout.

Have any of you actually seen the videos of the first couple years of CAS and of SASS? If you do you would not be making stupid comments about how the sport was started and what the founding fathers wanted folks to be wearing.

Your comment indicates you have. Why don't you tell us what the "founding fathers" wanted.

I like Ruger Blackhawks

You could not of put it any better

Gunner Gatlin,

Well said. I wish I had said that myself. Grown-ups don't get to scold one another, that's a parental priviledge. At most you can influence someone, and that involves conversation, joking even between equals. Adults don't take to drive-by criticism. More things are allowed of friends than of strangers.

Let me tell you a quick story...

When I was a young police officer I signed up for a "community policing" shift in a low income housing project area. I was paired with an even younger officer and we walked our zone, stopping to talk to kids and adults as we went along the streets. The idea was that people are more likely to trust you if you make yourself available to them on a regular basis. As we came to one unit a young man sat on the steps and watched up approaching. We said, "Hello, hows your night?" as we came even with him on the sidewalk. He replied, "I don't want to talk to no punka$$ cops." My partner got red in the face and swayed like he wanted to move in on the man. I just nodded and said something to the effect of, "OK sport." Then I pointed down the sidewalk to the next housing unit for my partners benefit and moved on. After we walked a short distance my partner said, "Why did you let that guy punk you out?"

"First, that guy can't punk me out. I'm here to do a job, it isn't personal and he isn't breaking the law. What would we do, charge him with felony mouthing off?"

My point is that you have to respect boundaries. That guy laid down his boundary and was within his rights to do so. Until you get mutual agreement you don't cross boundaries unless you have the right and authority to do so. A badge doesn't give me the right, a violation of the law does.

So even if you're a Match Director, you should be cautious in how you enforce the rules. Be certain that you understand the rules and the intent before proceeding and don't let your own opinions set you on a path where you are more wrong than the person you're correcting. Now, if there is a relationship there, you can commit some time and friendly attention to someone in hopes of influencing them.

But, unless their clear rule violation has given you the authority, you don't force your opinion.

Of course, you can always campaign for a change in the rules..."Misdemeanor Mouthing Off, anyone?"

Captain Bill you've hit the nail on the head in all aspects of your post. Very well written to say the least. I would like to add, that if one could remove the extremism from both sides you'd be left with a group that doesn't want to be told how to dress or conduct their business. Point taken and easily understood. On the other end of the spectrum you'd be left with a group that is in fear of what is held dear to Single Action Shooting "COULD" somehow be lost piece at a time if this is allowed to continue. First it would be the hats, then the footwear, then pants, then.... You get the idea. Both sides I'm sure well intentioned, but in the heat of the Wire it all goes to he77 in a hen basket and quickly I might add. We have rules for a reason and that is to follow them (not unwritten ones), but also if your at an Irish club that wants its shooters to wear a green clover pin at its shoots, by golly pin it on and don't beef about it. I'm sure that there may be "clubs" that have an "internal" hat rule or other dress code if they so choose, but that's NOT SASS as it's an individual club thing to be followed at that club only and should be. Smithy.

Thank you Smithy for the kind words.

I've always found it interesting to observe the change that some people undergo when they communicate in Internet forums. For some it seems to bring out the worst whereas others remain unchanged. In polite society, at least as I have experienced it in my 47 years, adults tend to refrain from name calling or provocative comments unless severely provoked. For some however, once they are removed from face to face communication, their inner child comes out and the insults and ad hominem attacks fly. Suddenly anyone who disagrees with them, or questions their positions, however politely, is "stupid" "retarded" or much worse. I often wonder if Internet communications for some are analogous to the old saying that a drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts. I believe that Robert Heinlein was correct when he said that "An armed society is a polite society.". For some when you remove their fear of having to pick their teeth up off the ground, you discover what kind of person they really are.

... the person who always shows up in jeans, modern western boots, button up shirt (no button down collar of course) and modern style straw cowboy hat?

Howdy Doc!

A good example of what you describe was what John Wayne wore in The Searchers. Jeans, checkered gingham button shirt, and a flat-brimmed straw hat. Wrap a wild rag around your neck and you could be twins. Good enough for The Duke and John Ford ... good enough for SASS. Total costuming at Goodwill for about $10.

Is a straw hat authentic to the era? Yep.

Panama hats (really made in Ecuador) began being imported into the US in the mid 1800's.

Moderate crown, nice shady brim, give it a soak in water and shape it any way you like. Like the felt hats, each wearer probably gave it some measure of personalization by creasing it to their fancy.

Archived