SASS Wire Forum

38-40

Kiowa Kid, SASS #69870L

Howdy,

With a 73 and published loads from Hogdon what is the effective range for a 38-40 with smokekess powder? Want to use for side match longrange pistol caliber.

KK

The effective range has less to do with the load, and a lot to do with rifle, the sights, and the capability of the shooter. Remember that a .22 Long Rifle CAN go a mile and a half. The problem is getting it to go where you want over that distance.

You referenced a 73. Would that be with a tang sight? With the standard sites you're probably limited to about 200-250 yards. A tang site should extend that and improve long range accuracy (longer sight radius for one thing). If you get one that goes up as far out as you expect to shoot you've done about as much as you can with the sights. As long as the rifle isn't inaccurate (from an oversize bore or poor rifling, etc.), the rest is up to the shooter. As with most things, practice is the key.

Doc Crumley

Hey Pard

most long range pistols are set at 100-200 yrds and the 38-40 is well suited. refer to any good loading manuel and You will have a great shooter, Im using a load from Lymans 43, but any will do.

Haycamp

My loads clock 1,234 Fps. out of a 20 inch barrel and are with-in SAMMI spec. as to presure........ Using 180 gr. RNFP bullets...

Jabez Cowboy

My old .38-40 smokeless CAS legal load with a 180 grain bullet would hit an 18" gong at 300 meters 10 times out of ten at 300 meters if I did my part using a tang sight and a 24" barrel. My BP load in a 20" barrel was also fine at similar ranges at hitting long range targets of a somewhat larger size, but the noise upon striking is a bit hard to hear at times when you have your hearing protection in.

Archived