SASS Wire Forum

22 side match revolvers/rifle ?

Flinthills Dawg

After shooting several 22 revolver/rifle side matches with provideded guns, i got to thinkin, i have two henry lever 22s. So I'm gonna start to use my own stuff. That being said can the usual gunsmiths that we all know in this sport do tune ups and possibly SS the henrys? Also would the Ruger Bearcat be a good revolver for 22 side matches? Or shpould another 22 be used?

Thanks

DAWG

Unless you have small hands, a Single Six would be better than a Bearcat IMO.

As for short stroking a Henry 22, anything's possible. The cost may be prohibitive, though. Some slicking should be possible and not expensive.

By far the most popular 22 revolver for side matches is a six inch or longer barrel Single Six. Being the proud owner of such gun, I know it is possible to short stroke and really smooth up such guns and mine has won a quite a few side matches and even a couple when I shot it. Keep loaning it to friends to shoot and they beat me. It is not easy to get a short stroke with reduced main spring to reliably fire most 22s, so be careful. The reason for longer barrels is that for some reason, some matches believe in very tiny targets for 22s.

As far as gunsmithing a Henry 22, I don't know of any that do that work, most like to work with metal internal parts. :rolleyes:

IMO, the Bearcat is the worst revolver Ruger makes, JMO.

By far the most popular 22 revolver for side matches is a six inch or longer barrel Single Six. Being the proud owner of such gun, I know it is possible to short stroke and really smooth up such guns and mine has won a quite a few side matches and even a couple when I shot it. Keep loaning it to friends to shoot and they beat me. It is not easy to get a short stroke with reduced main spring to reliably fire most 22s, so be careful. The reason for longer barrels is that for some reason, some matches believe in very tiny targets for 22s.

As far as gunsmithing a Henry 22, I don't know of any that do that work, most like to work with metal internal parts. :rolleyes:

Little bitty bullets --- little bitty targets?? :lol: (wheres that tounge in cheek smiley?)

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

As far as pistols go, I have a pair of Colts.

One of them looks like this...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=225311595

And the other one looks like this...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=225129188

No, I don't have the case. Wish I did! :)

Can't go wrong with either one of them, and I have found that, at least for .22's genuine Colts can be had for very reasonable prices.

As far as a rifle goes, well, the jury is still out on that. I have an old Remington that I have used, but it is not a fast shooter by any means.

What I'd really like to get my hands on is an original Winchester 73 in .22 Long. I'd be willing to bet that the falling of the hammer drowns out the report of the CB caps I'd run through it.

IMO, the Bearcat is the worst revolver Ruger makes, JMO.

Now there's a low risk opinion. It's kind of like saying a penny is the least valuable current US coin. The Bearcat was certainly never made to compete with any other Ruger revolver.

So.....what's wrong with the Ruger Bearcat? :blink: I have owned a few over the years, and don't recall any flies on them! :unsure:

I don't see anything wrong with them as these two first and second year of production models show.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/remcclellen/DSC02698.jpg

I just thought it was a little comical to compare them to other revolvers introduced at twice the price.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I'm with Doc F. on that. I love them little Bearcats. I reckon Ruger was smart to build them again! Grand plinkers!!!

If'n I had a choice (and the $$ difference), I'd go with Single Sixers for Buckaroo or side match shootin' though.

Mustang

Archived