SASS Wire Forum

High Speed Video of Bullet Impacts

Subdeacon Joe

I think some of the target plates were of a soft metal like lead or Aluminum as the results were very like some experiments I did when I was a kid. the scab off of the back of the plate was just like that I saw from3/4 inch thick 6061-T6 Aluminum I shot at.

Others seem to be mild steel and yet others were armor or hardened plate and of course there were the gelatin target blocks though they seemed a bit soft for ballistic gelatin

interesting how little the larger slugs were deflected by the smaller coming in from the side

would love to know the details and how it was done

it is a good reenforcement on the need to have good side shields on our shooting glasses though!

Thanks for posting it

Cheers Windy

I think some of the target plates were of a soft metal like lead or Aluminum as the results were very like some experiments I did when I was a kid. the scab off of the back of the plate was just like that I saw from3/4 inch thick 6061-T6 Aluminum I shot at.

Others seem to be mild steel and yet others were armor or hardened plate and of course there were the gelatin target blocks though they seemed a bit soft for ballistic gelatin

interesting how little the larger slugs were deflected by the smaller coming in from the side

would love to know the details and how it was done

it is a good reenforcement on the need to have good side shields on our shooting glasses though!

Thanks for posting it

Cheers Windy

Some of the targets were sheetrock, I think. Some plexiglass. The glass is obvious.

I suspect that there was deflection of the larger slug, but keep in mind the time frame we see there. At about 1,000,000 frames per second, we are not seeing but a few hundred thousandths. Look at how little spin we see, but those bullets are spinning at several thousand RPM (say a 1:12 twist rate, at 2700 FPS, that is what, over 160000 rpm? )

You are right about the sheetrock and 2 kinds of glass (Tempered and I think safety) I wonder if the plastic was acrylic or?polycarb?

I wonder what the white balls that they were impacting the bullets in flight were... sure would love to read a detailed description of those shots with full parameters

Archived