SASS Wire Forum

Buckaroo/Youngun Pistols

Hello the Wire

My sons are 8 and 11. They are interested in starting to shoot with me. I have a Dillon 650. I shoot and reload 45LC, but I also have tons of .38 special brass, bullets, and dies from when I shot PPC when I was an LEO. Anybody have any suggestions on any .38/.357 pistols out there with smaller grip frames that would fit their hands? I just need a little guidance from pards with Buckeroos and younger Younguns. Thanks in advance.

Tonic

I suggest single sixes in 22 at their age. My friend started his grandson with them (he may still have them) and he recently progressed to model 'P' jrs. in 38spl. at age 12.

I got my grandson (11) two ruger bearcats, a henry 22, and a H&R single shot .41. I had him try my 9422 and single six a year ago and they were just too big. He also tried my stoger with the low noise and low recoil loads, recoil wasn't a problem but they were just to muzzle heavy. In the end it was more about a gun he could hold up repeatedly without getting worn out and frustrated. Another plus, we shot a match today, I don't have to worry about his brass or relods.

Sierra Joe

Wichita, KS

I agree starting them with .22's. I have two ruger .22's that are identical to my 45's. One grandson has graduated to .38's and used my awa peacekeepers, or tarus gouchos. They are the same size as the new Vaqueros.

The .22's are great for practice, cheap to shoot, and no recoil.

i started my nephews 8 & 10 with heritage 22 henry 22 rifle and 410 shotgun they loved it went to single six 32

and 38 94 win.ae with my 2o ga when the got big enough

gabby

You mite try the Uberti Stallion it's a small frame?

The Stallion & the Cimarron Model P Jr. are the same guns. My recommendation would be those & load 38 Colts for them for a while & then switch to 38 spl later on. Or a pair of Ruger Bearcats. A Henry youth model 22 with an extra adult size shoulder stock. A 12ga dbl (with an extra stock to cut down for them) using Winchester AA Featherlite loads or the equivalent.

PS:

The correct forum for questions in general is the Wire, not the Classifieds. You'll get more responses to your questions. :)

My son is not a big kid.......I just started him out on a pair of Ruger New Vaquero in .357. The rifle is a Rossi .357 but I need to cut the stock and slick it up so it will fit him better but he can use it like is.

Shotgun will be .410 as he is just not too comfy on the 12 gauge.

My daughter started with a Rossi pump 22 rifle, 32 Baby Vacs( they were cheap then) and a 20ga with 410 loads. ( filled the top of the hulls with glitter, gold or red,so they would crimp right.) We are Claim Jumpers, so it was like saltin the mine to sell to some Easterner!!!!

Parson

My Daughter is just turning 8. I am thinking she needs a year yet to start. But, I do have a follow up question. Are the .22s scaled down or are they full size just with different chambers? eg is a .22 Henry the same length and weight as a .45? same for pistols.

Irish Rambler

My Daughter is just turning 8. I am thinking she needs a year yet to start. But, I do have a follow up question. Are the .22s scaled down or are they full size just with different chambers? eg is a .22 Henry the same length and weight as a .45? same for pistols.

Irish Rambler

Henry makes a youth model. Your 8 yo should have no trouble with it at all. If you reload a sxs 410 would be ok for her. The Uberti Stallion, Cimarron Model P Jr or Lightning or Ruger Bearcats would be good for starter guns for her.

I personally would forget about the P Jr's / Stallions. Rattlesnake shot those for a while. We found them to be unreliable and a bit quirky. They have a built in safety in the cylinder pin which is annoying to say the least. Overall quality compared to Ruger is below average. Size wise they were fine. I've been all through this and spent thousands of dollars. He had 2 sets of Ruger Single Sixes in 22 and they were fine until you got a 22 case down in an empty 38 while you were loading... LOl He also had a pair of Ruger Single Sixes in 32 H&R that were short stroked with half cocks all raced out etc. They were fine but.... I had to load 32's and keep lead, brass etc. and keep the cases out of the 38 cases or I ended up with a locked up press again. Pain in the butt!!! Then He had a pair of USFA Rodeos in 38. They lasted a few months. Then he got a pair of short stroked Ruger Vaqueros in .38 and never looked back. He now has two sets of short stroked raced out Jimmy Spur pistols.

As for a rifle he started with a Henry youth model with the stock cut down. That lasted about a year. He moved into a Marlin Carbine in 38 and that rifle was great for him for another couple of years. Then Cody Conagher built him a custom 73 that started as a 19" carbine he cut it down to 17" so it would hold 10 easily and dovetailed the barrel to accept a Marbles front sight. Cutting down the barrel reduced the weight for him so he was able to hold it up easier. I cut the stock on that gun and that made it perfect for him, for a while..... Then he moved into a 73 Border Deluxe Brushpopper and shot that for a couple years. Now as of late he got his new Jimmy Spurs Atomic Border Deluxe 73 and well, the rest is soon to be history...

As for a shotgun, he didn't start shooting a shotgun till he was about 9 and he had a Remington Spartan by Gunslinger and he had a couple 97's by Joe Brisco. All were good guns. The main thing on the shotgun is you can reduce the recoil by loading down your shells, shooting featherlights, install a good recoil pad (limb saver grind to fit) and you can install a mercury recoil reducer. this will tame that 12 gauge right down and with practice will be very managable for your young shooter. Rattlesnake now shoots a couple different SKB's by Jimmy Spurs and one by Johnny Meadows.

And that is what has created the monster that I have to shoot with every weekend!!!! LOL

If you haven't seen him shoot here he is. He's 12 years old now.

http://youtu.be/s0dOrT5iXrI?hd=1

So here is what I would do if I was to do it all over again. I would buy a pair of Ruger New Vaqueros in 38/.357 get em worked over and be done with it. Load them with some 90 grain bullets and the recoil is very low.

Shotgun- Just get a double or 97 in 12 gauge. Load down the shells or have a friend do it for you or buy Winchester Featherlights. Install a good recoil pad and Mercury recoil reducer.

Rifle- Buy a well tuned 73 if you can but if not just get a Marlin Carbine in 38/.357 and if that's still too much then get a Henry Youth Model they are cheap enough and you can prob sell it easy if you want to move up later.

I sure don't claim to know everything about this but I been there done that and paid THOUSANDS for the T-Shirt!!! LOL

Hope this helps Pard,

Colt

Hey Tonic Kid,

Colt Faro has the history / evolution of raising a young shooter down pat. Probably the key to all of it, was the stair step progression of the young shooter and their strength and ability to handle guns that grew as they improved and became stronger and more coordinated.

When Rattlesnake and Cody Two Guns started out with 22's... well, that was the limit they could handle. Their hand and shoulder strength was not able to handle a full size pistol or rifle. Hence, we started out with small framed 22's pistols and rifles. There are problem with shooting 22's in pistols and the rifle, that is part of the game. That and we did not know if they would cotton to the sport. You just do not go out and buy a Porche for the child in your family, when they turn 16.....Welll,,,,, most don't anyway! :lol:

Same concept, keep your costs low in the beginning and see what the young shooters will do.

Personally, when I look back, I still would buy 22's, then 32's (Ruger Single Six)and then 38's if warranted. Watch and see how they can physically handle the guns. I still remember Colt and me keeping a hand on the rifle for our boys, usually toward the end of a 10 round sting, they just tired out and it was a struggle to hold that rifle steady and upright. The last thing you want is a safety situation to arise due to the young shooter not having the hand and shoulder strength to handle the guns.

Guage your own children, teach them the safe handling techniques at home, before you arrive at the range. Set up a stage run somewhere in the home or the backyard and show them what is expected of them and stress that muzzle direction, through dry firing. This can help them to get their minds and muscle accustomed to what the sport is about.

Great luck and take pictures!

Oklahoma Dee

Get them a pair of Uberti '49s to start out with and from there you can move them up to the '62s and they will not have to adjust to a different grip size or style in that transition. As their hands grow larger you can then move them on up to the full size Navy grip '51 revolvers. As you can see, old Sam Colt actually figured this out for you way back when and even the load adjustments are completely in your hands for the youngest of tots.

In my opinion the Ruger actions are terrible, as received, in their Bearcat revolvers and the Single Six is only a little better. Though I know the SS can be substantially improved on, I am less sure about the Bearcat, particularly when we are adding small weak hands into the mix. I do have a pair of each that were bought to start the grandones out with but all of them preferred the '49s as the most fun to shoot and thats all it is about when they are young. Those visions of world titles are still just in dads head at this stage of the game.

Get them a pair of Uberti '49s to start out with and from there you can move them up to the '62s and they will not have to adjust to a different grip size or style in that transition. As their hands grow larger you can then move them on up to the full size Navy grip '51 revolvers. As you can see, old Sam Colt actually figured this out for you way back when and even the load adjustments are completely in your hands for the youngest of tots.

In my opinion the Ruger actions are terrible, as received, in their Bearcat revolvers and the Single Six is only a little better. Though I know the SS can be substantially improved on, I am less sure about the Bearcat, particularly when we are adding small weak hands into the mix. I do have a pair of each that were bought to start the grandones out with but all of them preferred the '49s as the most fun to shoot and thats all it is about when they are young. Those visions of world titles are still just in dads head at this stage of the game.

You obviously have not seen a Ruger with a Jimmy Spurs or Wes Flowers action job. Bearcats are a waste of time and money they can't be made to be as slick as a Vaquero and those guns are very stiff. I will say this about the Bearcats though, the size is perfect some of the young shooters. The Single sixes we still have are smooth as butter! Hey this all just advice and is based on my personal experience. Take what you can use and leave the rest.

Colt

Thanks for all of the replies. I have a pretty good idea of what path I'm going to follow, but if anyone else has any opinions. Yeah right! :lol: I am still willing to listen. Thanks again.

Tonic

Hello-My son started 5 months ago. He is 10. He shot one match with Ruger single six's, a Henry Frontier 22, and a single barreled 410. Some members of the club suggested he switch to 38s and a 12 guage. I picked him up a couple 357 Vaquero's. They make all kinds of grips and the Ruger gunfighters fit his hands well. We had Johnny Meadows work him up a single trigger Stoegger, cut stock to 11 and 3/4 modify it for the shoots. I am having Cody Conager work him up a 73 short stroke. My son has been shooting a 73 which is too long for him, and one of the club members noticed he was lifting his face off the stock, causing him to miss. Having your firearms fit properly is important and worth the extra effort. Just have your gunsmith save what he cuts off to increase length at a later date. I had Colt Faro build him his holsters and shotgun belt. The nice thing about having the 22's, is they work well for practice. The investment is not wasted and they will work well for your 8 year old. At our Camp Verde club and the Payson club where we compete , members are always inviting him to try out their firearms. This helps us with caliber and firearm selection. I don't recommend moving them up to fast, but it is hard to hold him back when they want to compete. Winchester makes a low recoil, low noise round and we load them light. Best of luck and hope to see them at a competition.

Archived