SASS Wire Forum

Looking for Opinions.......Six Shooters

Rube Burrows

I am thinking about getting myself a pair of new six shooters.

Right now I have a pair of Ruger New Vaquero with 4 5/8 barrel in Stainless.

Other than Rugers what Six Shooter would you buy if buying a new one.

* I have a couple of requirements. I want Color Case Hardening on the gun and I want them with barrels in the neighborhood of 4 5/8 so they will fit my holsters I already have.

* No Rugers, I want something different this time.

* No Colt or USFA....just cant swing a pair of either right now though I wish I could.

There are so many different guns out there and I would like to hear your opinions as to what you would buy and why.

Thank you.

Something like one of THESE ?

Lower one is a U.S.PT.F.A. (45 Colt)...upper one is a GWII (CAL..45LC)

Both purchased from pards on the SASS Wire Classifieds for under $400 apiece.

Bought the first one because the price was right (came with a really NICE money belt & holster)

...picked up the GWII based on previous experience with Pietta quality.

The sights on the GWII are a bit wider & easier to get on target (when I remember to actually USE them) ;)

Something like one of THESE ?

Lower one is a U.S.PT.F.A. (45 Colt)...upper one is a GWII (CAL..45LC)

Both purchased from pards on the SASS Wire Classifieds for under $400 apiece.

Bought the first one because the price was right (came with a really NICE money belt & holster)

...picked up the GWII based on previous experience with Pietta quality.

The sights on the GWII are a bit wider & easier to get on target (when I remember to actually USE them) ;)

Yes, I do like the look of those.

"Runnin Irons".

Maybe its the cosmetics mixed with a good reputation but I really have been tempted to buy me a set of these in 3.5" barrels.

..........Widder

Who sells the Runnin Irons?

I thought it was Taylors but I dont see them on their site.

Uberti Cattleman with brass gripframe or El Patron

I have a pair of Uberti Regulators with color case frames and brass gripframes. They are great shooting guns and not expensive. I don't think they make the Regulator anymore.

These get some style points 1875 Frontier

I now have 5 Rugers myself; 4 Ruger Bisley Vaquero's as my main match guns plus a spare pair and another really custom Ruger Old Army with 3 1/2" barrel and birdshead grip frame, cylinder converted to 45 LC. It was my intention to use that as my pocket pistol in side matches until I really read the rule book and found out that I couldn't. So for the next gun for me I also was looking for something other than Ruger to balance out my collection. I wanted something along lines of a Colt SAA, but the price always gets me on those guys so it's a clone I'll be looking at. I'm a big fan of stainless and found the exact model I wanted. But since you stated that you prefer the color case hardened look, I did some poking around to find the same model in the finish you like and here it is from Ables Ammo http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=121426 Not a bad looking shooter at all. 3 1/2" barrel, decked out by their gunsmiths with Wolf coil springs, all steel, the finish you're looking for. I'd say this may be the one and for less than 5 hundred. Smithy.

Howdy Rube.

Unless I've got my name wrong (Runnin Iron), I thought it was Taylor's also.

Could the name be 'Smokin Irons'?

I can't find the Ad in the Chronicle.

..........Widder (not known for great memory)

Pard,

I have tried a bunch of sixshooters.

About every thing on the market, new, used whatever.

My favorites are the ruger flattops.

I know they aint new and I know they aint casecolored but darn

they shoot right where they is pointed.

They were made when Bill Ruger was probably still walkin the

production floor and sat in a collection fer a good while.

I bought em and had Coyote Cap check em out and they came back

shootin even better.

One thing is they are a good bit lighter than current rugers

because they used more light alloys back when.

You might consider weight in your selection.

Happy hunting.

Best

CR

Love those Open Tops. I have always been a fan of the Open Tops like the 51 and 60 Colts. Maybe a 72 Open Top would be fun to shoot. I think my holsters were actually made for 5.5" barrels so that might work.

See, around here there are no shops for me to go in and really get a feel for the guns. I have to pretty much order what I think I want to get it in the store. Unless someone has one at a match. This will give me some ideas and when I go to our next match maybe I can find someone with what im looking for to let me get a feel for it.

I now have 5 Rugers myself; 4 Ruger Bisley Vaquero's as my main match guns plus a spare pair and another really custom Ruger Old Army with 3 1/2" barrel and birdshead grip frame, cylinder converted to 45 LC. It was my intention to use that as my pocket pistol in side matches until I really read the rule book and found out that I couldn't. So for the next gun for me I also was looking for something other than Ruger to balance out my collection. I wanted something along lines of a Colt SAA, but the price always gets me on those guys so it's a clone I'll be looking at. I'm a big fan of stainless and found the exact model I wanted. But since you stated that you prefer the color case hardened look, I did some poking around to find the same model in the finish you like and here it is from Ables Ammo http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=121426 Not a bad looking shooter at all. 3 1/2" barrel, decked out by their gunsmiths with Wolf coil springs, all steel, the finish you're looking for. I'd say this may be the one and for less than 5 hundred. Smithy.

Thanks Smithy. I would have to see one with a 3.5" barrel in person before I ordered one. Not sure I want that stubby look. 4 5/8 is the shortest I have seen and it still looks good to me. If I do go with a 73 style revolver the Uberti El Patron may be the way to go.

You may also want to look at the Alchimista sold by EMF. Based on the 1873 frame with a 1860 grip. I have Rugers (plow handle and Bisley grip) and USFA's and like them too (especially the Bisley Vaqueros). But I use the Alchimista as my main match gun.

* I have a couple of requirements. I want Color Case Hardening on the gun and I want them with barrels in the neighborhood of 4 5/8 so they will fit my holsters I already have.

* No Rugers, I want something different this time.

* No Colt or USFA....just cant swing a pair of either right now though I wish I could.

Sounds like what you want something that is not an SAA in appearance. You already have a pair of those with the Rugers, why not go with something that gets some style points...

Since Rugers are the best why consider an inferior brand for a second set of guns? Of course if you want more historic you could purchased a used pair of First Gen Colts.

The main reason I dont buy another set of Rugers is because they stopped making the CCH finish. I HATE the new Matte Black finish Ruger is putting on their Vaqueros. I may end up looking around on the auctions and finding me a pair of CCH Rugers but thought I would ask around and see what others thought.

:FlagAm: Take a gander at the AWA Ultimates. I bought a pair here on the wire just over a year ago and they are very nice shooters. Doug does the CCH and they have the coil spring setup for the hammers. Nicely constructed guns that keep on running. I shoot a load of 17gr. of FFFFG real black. Yes, 4F, other shooters think I am shooting a 45Colt load when these are .357. The guns are smooth out of the box, very classy looking and in my case, hold up very well with no issues at all.

My wife, the redhead, doesn't agree often with me, but she even says these are great shooters.

Chas B.

Bought the short barreled .44 from Cabela's a few years ago. Stuffed it with some APP and balls. Kind of a closed in area with brush and trees for the first stage I shot with it. Targets low and close. When I first touched it off; smoke went EVERYWHERE! T/O and I laughing so hard I could hardly finish shootin' those 5 shots! What a hoot that pistola is! :lol:

If the barrels has to be 4 5/8" or under you are looking at Ruger, Colt, or a Colt Clone. Go to 5 1/2" barrels and you open up to open tops (51 Navy, 60 Army, ad 72), top breaks (S&W Russian and Scholfield), Remington's, Colt clones, and Colts. Right now I think the 3rd gen Colt is the best buy for SASS. Save your money and buy Colts. The Great Western II is a very good clone.

From an earlier posting you seemed to like my suggestion of the Uberti El Patron Mounted Shooter, Colt Clone. However you were a bit sketchy about the 3 1/2" barrel length. So I did some more digging and found one with a 4 3/4" barrel length that should fit in your holsters just fine. All other descriptions are the same as the first one I showed to you. This is also from Able's Ammo http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=116280 Hope this one fills the bill. Smithy.

OK, I'll paint the target on my back. You might take a look at the Beretta Stampede. A few years back , they were being blasted for timing problems that showed up in some of the early models. It didn't seem to be nearly as bad as the recalled/not recalled contraversy over the new Vaqueros when they came out, but heck, the Berettas weren't Rugers. At the time, the Stampedes could be bought readily on the Classified Wire at very reasonable prices.

For the last few years, however, you'd be very hard pressed to even find a Stampede on the wire. Either the owners are satisfied, or they used them for trotline weights. Mine are being shot, and have been for 6 years.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/remcclellen/BerettaStampedes45x55.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/remcclellen/BerettaStampedes45x75.jpg

• 3 months later...

I just bought a new Uberti Cattleman with brass grip frame and trigger guard in 45 Colt as a backup for my two original 44 mag (44 special) Ruger Vaqueros. All are 4 1/2" barrels. One of my Rugers is polished stainless with simulted ivory grips that goes into a Black Hills R/H shoulder holster. The other Ruger is a case/blue with an aftermarket Qualite polished brass grip frame (that took me a good month to fit to the gun and polish) and that goes into a one-gun R/H gunbelt.

I happen to love the look of a case/blue gun with a polished brass grip frame for a gun in a gunbelt rig. Nothing else will do. If, back in 2002 when I bought those rugers, Ruger had not offered a case/blue gun and Qualite brass grip frames had not been available, no way would I have bought Rugers. Shoulder holsters require nickle or stainless guns. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

If and when Ruger decides to offer the NMV with a casecolor frame and brass grip frame, I will again consider another Ruger. Until then, as far as I'm concerned, Ruger has nothing on the market that remotely interests me. The NMV has nothing whatsoever over a Uberti other than the coil springs, and that differnce is negligible since the Uberti leaf springs are cheap and very easy to replace. Regarding strength, the Uberti is every bit as strong as any New Vaquero. The Vaquero line gave up their strength advantage when they went to the New Vaquero.

Here's a pic of the Uberti Cattleman brass

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/1873_cattleman_nm_brass_lg.jpg

That brass backstrap and trigger guard are a matte finish, but one evening with a little metal polish, a rag, and lots of thumb effort will have them bright and shiny.

I got a pair from Cimarron... They are made by Pietta for Cimarron. Mine are 3 1/2 but you can get 4 5/8. Fit great in my holsters my other pair are NMV. They are the Thunderstorm with birds heads grips or you can get the frontier with the plow handles. The easiest place to see them are on Longhunters website but you can find them on Cimarrons as well. I love them they come with an action job so nothing needed to be done with them when i got them and the price is good. Very affordable.

Call Joe at Cimarron 830-997-9090

Painted Filly

Old Tops

Here is Old Tops home made Alchimestia. He got a pair of great westerns and ordered a couple of Pietta 1860 backstrap/tg/grips and put em on. they look and feel great.

but the real Alchemista is something to feel....REALLY feel. First the trigger is wider than Colt style. Then they centered the trigger in the frame. Then the action work....it feels like a pig rollerskating on glass...it is Sooo smooth. Call Debbie at EMF and see what she can do for you...

curley

Bought 2 Evil Roy cimarron's and love them, Gene was great to work with and he checked the pistols out himself to make sure that the action felt right, got them and they are smooth as butter.

Archived