SASS Wire Forum

Colt SAA barrels

Cletus Starr

I have a three barrels, suposedly colt 2nd gen that are marked kind $100 or less when ever I found one. Going through them I found that there are two diffrent stampings. I have six second gen colts all slicked up for cowboy shooting and all of them have the "COLT'S MFG. CO. HARTFORD,CT. USA" on the top of the barrel behind the front sight dead centerline of the barrel. I have three replacement barrels that have the exact same thing on the right side, or ejector housing side of the barrel. I found another one on line that claims to be a Colt replacement barrel with the Colt MFG logo on the right, or ejector housing side also. What the heck is going on. Please help me out here, as I have too many and would like to sell a few of them. I would rather eat worms and die than lie to someone thinking that these are Colts if they are not Colts. They are all 5 1/2 inches. Thanks for your help. Cletus Starr

Hey Cletus Star,

As I am to understand, the barrels that you have, where the address is stamped on the right side, are considered - World War II barrels.

According to my source, they were manufactured about 1951, by COLT. Depending on who is interested, they may be more sought after.

They make a fine replacement barrel for the Colt 2nd Generation Single Action Army revolver.

In my opinion, your sittin nicely.

Cheers,

Oklahoma Dee

Hey Cletus 'ol pal how's life treating you?

I'll tell you what my Colts have on them and see if that helps:

1st gen Colt is a a 2 line address on the top centered on the sight: COLT'S PT F.A. MFG. Co.

HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A.

The left side of the barrel has the caliber marking only: 38 W.C.F. and no markings on the ejector side of the barrel.

2nd gen and 3rd gens appear to be the same (at least mine are) and have a single line address on the top centered on the sight: COLT'S PT F.A. MFG. Co. HARTFORD, CT. USA

There are no markings on the ejector side of the barrel. The left side says: COLT SINGLE ACTION ARMY .357 MAGNUM

I hope this helps some. I don't think I have seen a Colt barrel with anything stamped on the ejector side. If Six Gun Shorty sees this he will know for sure if your barrels are Colt or not.

Looks like OK Dee had a better answer whilst I was typing mine up and trying to read the tiny letters on a 1st Gen barrel!

Hey Cletus Star,

As I am to understand, the barrels that you have, where the address is stamped on the right side, are considered - World War II barrels.

According to my source, they were manufactured about 1951, by COLT. Depending on who is interested, they may be more sought after.

They make a fine replacement barrel for the Colt 2nd Generation Single Action Army revolver.

Cheers,

Oklahoma Dee

Hey Cletus Star,

Cheers,

Oklahoma Dee

Thanks for your help Dee and Ethan it is always good to hear from you. Cletus

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Hey Eathen Cord and Cletus,

I have two 3rd gen Colts that I bought at different times; one in 95 and the other in 97. The one I bought in 95 is a 7 1/2 In. bbl and Royal Blue. I got a great deal on the second Colt, but it was color case hardened (not that I care) and had a 5 1/2 in. bbl. I had a hard time shooting well with it because of the different bbl lengths ( and the fact I don't practcie too much). In 2007 I saw an add from Numerich Arms for a 7 1/2 in bbl and it said it was a Colt; and it was only $12 dollars! Needless to say I ordered it , had it insatlled, and I shoot better with it now that it "matches" the first pistol

This new bbl has markings on all three sides! Left side: "United States Marshall- 1789" ; on top, "Colt's PTFA MFG Co Hartford CT USA" ;

and on the ejector side of the bbl "Colt single Action Army .45 "

Works for me. Cheers, Hoss

• 3 weeks later...

This is sold.

Archived