SASS Wire Forum

Combinations Too Powerful to be Suppressed

April 15, 1861:

Now, therefore, I, Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States, in virtue of the power in me vested by the Constitution, and the laws, have thought fit to call forth, and hereby do call forth, the militia of the several States of the Union, to the aggregate number of seventy-five thousand, in order to suppress said combinations, and to cause the laws to be duly executed.

April 15, 1861:

Now, therefore, I, Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States, in virtue of the power in me vested by the Constitution, and the laws, have thought fit to call forth, and hereby do call forth, the militia of the several States of the Union, to the aggregate number of seventy-five thousand, in order to suppress said combinations, and to cause the laws to be duly executed.

Translation: Do it my way or I'll kill you.

:rolleyes: I'm in.....let 'er buck! :P

Not me. I got the great debate out of my system years ago. :lol:

69th Regiment!

"Riam nar oruio sbarin lann"

Rumor has it Gen Lee told Gen Grant at the surrender, "You won because you had more Irish"

Smart, tough, God fearing gentlemen farmers and white trash. It was a close race but there wasn't enough of them.

Nor enough industry. About the only thing the CSA produced in abundance was powder. If I recall, the US used powder captured at the Augusta Arsenal into the 1880s.

That's a load of shit.

This is why I don't get involved in discussions on religion, politics or the Civil War.

April 15, 1861:

April 15, 1865

Four years later to the day, United States Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton uttered these words:

"Now he belongs to the ages."

President Lincoln was dead.

Smart, tough, God fearing gentlemen farmers and white trash. It was a close race but there wasn't enough of them.

Speaking as a descendent of a long line of share croppers, cotton mill workers, etc..., I take offense to the use of the term 'white trash'.

Mayhaps it would be best if you elaborate upon your meaning.

Archived