SASS Wire Forum

info on tuning a 97

The Catskill Shootist

I am working on tuning my 97. Trying to lighten the hammer spring and slick up the action. I cannot find much info on the web that has any detail. I had it all apart and have polished up the parts that slide. I put it all back together last night and it didn't seem to be any better than when I started. So it is back in pieces until tonight. It is an original take down model. I purchased a new hammer spring and sear spring so that the original parts stay original and the new parts get lightened. Are there any websites that go into detail about the process?

Thanks, The Catskill Shootist

Thanks Olen I have been to Marauder's site. Some good info but I am looking for more detail. Perhaps one that has photos......with circle's and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one......oops got sidetracked for a second sorry. Seriously though is there any sites that may have photos and perhaps video?

Thanks also Fred. The carrier screw is as loose as I can make it.

Well I am done working for the day. Finished up early so back to the 97 as the kitchen table gunsmith.

CS

I'm not aware of any websites with the info you need. What you really need is a good smith. There are a few of us in CAS. There are many who say they know the 97....but knowing is a rather loose term.

The 97, especially originals, are not a good shadetree project. Too many chances for worn parts to be overlooked, channels to be forgotten, tolerances out of spec.

Get it to a smith.

Ditto on what The Great Leviathian just sed.

One other item about your hammer tension screw: don't get it tooooooooo light or you'll be finding yourself running a stage and leaving all the SG targets still standing.

I run my screws as tight as I can because I found out you will have more than enough energy to pump the 97 during a stage without worrying about it being either too hard or too light.

When you pull that trigger, you want that hammer to fall fast and hard. A soft hammer fall can become your worse enemy.

Anyhow, that just my .02

..........Widder

One other item about your hammer tension screw: don't get it tooooooooo light or you'll be finding yourself running a stage and leaving all the SG targets still standing.

I run my screws as tight as I can because I found out you will have more than enough energy to pump the 97 during a stage without worrying about it being either too hard or too light.

..........Widder

+1 infinity

I cannot tell you how many times I have seen 97 shooters having mis fires or issues and saying

"I don't understand it - I just got it back from the gunsmith"

Screw the mainspring tension back into it and whoopie - problem solved.

Mine are cranked all the way down too.

Thanks to all for the advice. I did some more grinding on the main spring. Will put it all back together tomorrow and see what happens. Worst I can do is waste $8 on replacement springs and some time. Sure is a complicated little bugger that 97. Having fun anyway.

Thanks again.....CS

Archived