SASS Wire Forum

The Royal Wedding of William and Kate

I'm not asking this question to stir up trouble or anything. I'm just curious what folks in the Saloon think about the upcoming nuptials of Prince William and his sweetheart, Kate Middleton.

I'm not a huge fan of monarchies and such, but I've met enough folks from England that I understand their love for the royal family and the role that they play within British society.

I do like Harry and William a whole lot more than either of their parents.

As much as I'm grateful to not be one of their subjects, I do wish William and Kate a happy marriage. The world could use a little more "happily ever after".

William and Kate's official web site.

May God grant them prosperous and peaceful lives, health, salvation, and success in all good works, and preserve and protect them for many years.

Gonna be a tough life, living under the magnifying glass as they will.

I'm more curious about his grandmother and his father. Elizabeth is 84 now, and seems to be going strong. Charles is 62, will likely be 72 or older when he takes the throne. Will likely be a short reign.

Will William be king before he is 50?

Charlie, I wish them the very same good wishes that I would offer to any two young people starting their lives together. I personally think that because of their status in society, that they will have a lot of challenges but then who doesn't when they enter into the bond of marriage.

Other than that, it is not a lot of my business. Good luck William and Kate.

There are as many people in the UK who couldn't give a rat's patoot about the Royal Family as there are who love them. Most, including my relatives in the UK, simply don't care.

I would wish the young couple happiness the same as anyone. But I don't intend to watch the ceremony.

They may face some challenges but probably less than a single income couple in West Virginia I'd wager. ;)

As seems to be the general opinion, I wish them luck and lots of it, just as I would any other couple starting out nowadays.

My bride will probably glue her eyeballs to the TV for the duration, once the wedding hoopla begins - just means more uninterrupted reloading time for me! :D

The best reason for the monarchy that I can come up with is that they allow a stability at the head of the govt. even though they have no actual power. All of the time consuming ceremonial stuff is handled by them leaving the elected officials to attempt to run the govt. I wish we had a king. Any thing is better than what we have.

Like others I can only wish them the best of fortune. It's always been such a curious thing to me that folks like Princess Diana who had looks, fame, wealth, station; anything and everything at her beck and call, could live such a tragic life. In the end the one thing she wanted most was denied her until, finding it finally in the end, the status of her own celebrity took it all. How can anyone maintain such a life of misery in a sea of outward abundance? Baffles me whenever I hear of royalty.

The whole idea that someone is better than someone else by benefit of their birth is what I don't understand or go along with.

Having been born an American I can see where it might be true. On the other hand, those who choose to become Americans probably have an edge when it comes to appreciating what we are.

I just can't think of anything that is as irrelevant to my life(or the world in general) as what British royalty is doing.

The pre-occupation of our press with this wedding is slightly less justified than their continual reporting of Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohann or Britney Spears.

Ehhhh, WGARA!! Don't wish 'em any bad, only good, but beyond that, .......... Can't figure why all the femanimals in my fambly are so ga-ga about it all. Must be a fairy tale thing or somethin'.

I just can't think of anything that is as irrelevant to my life(or the world in general) as what British royalty is doing.

The pre-occupation of our press with this wedding is slightly less justified than their continual reporting of Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohann or Britney Spears.

Personally, I prefer reporting on the royals to having the endless reportage on the sniveling, foul mouthed, drugged up, self centered glitterati like Sheen, Lohann and Spears.

At least William has some sense of duty to country. Plus there is often spiffy ceremony and military drill to watch.

Charlie, I wish them the very same good wishes that I would offer to any two young people starting their lives together. I personally think that because of their status in society, that they will have a lot of challenges but then who doesn't when they enter into the bond of marriage.

Other than that, it is not a lot of my business. Good luck William and Kate.

Badger, ya took the words right outta my mouth. I would only add that I fervently HOPE that William will treat Kate with more dignity and respect than his father showed his mother. In my opinion, and this is only my opinion, Charles should never have married a girl that he clearly was never in love with... to me that just showed how little he cared for Diana. JMHO.

Slackwater

Badger, ya took the words right outta my mouth. I would only add that I fervently HOPE that William will treat Kate with more dignity and respect than his father showed his mother. In my opinion, and this is only my opinion, Charles should never have married a girl that he clearly was never in love with... to me that just showed how little he cared for Diana. JMHO.

Slackwater

Such a nice thing to say, and so true. Why do men marry women they don't want? Was it a family made him do it issue or what? Why hurt someone? I dont' get it...

The best reason for the monarchy that I can come up with is that they allow a stability at the head of the govt. even though they have no actual power. All of the time consuming ceremonial stuff is handled by them leaving the elected officials to attempt to run the govt. I wish we had a king. Any thing is better than what we have.

I would rather have Margaret Thatcher than a king. Why can't America produce and elect a leader of that excellence?

I am grateful my wife and I learned how to be married anonymously. Of course, a few million dollars worth of crown jewels may have made the transition from bachelorhood to being married less stressful.

Good luck to them in any case.

I would rather have Margaret Thatcher than a king. Why can't America produce and elect a leader of that excellence?

I am grateful my wife and I learned how to be married anonymously. Of course, a few million dollars worth of crown jewels may have made the transition from bachelorhood to being married less stressful.

Good luck to them in any case.

Well, JBars since I have met you at the shoots.. I know you are just good people.. That could be the difference.. nothing is worse than a cheater, that one really hurts.. I am sure Diana suffered from a broken heart for the rest of her short days. You never get over it.

Such a nice thing to say, and so true. Why do men marry women they don't want? Was it a family made him do it issue or what? Why hurt someone? I dont' get it...

Deja, thank you, and I don't have an answer to that question, doubt that any man really knows why. I don't remember if Charles' family forced him into it, or what, I just remember thinking as I watched over the years, that he really showed an almost complete disdain for Diana, save for the fact that she bore him two heirs...

Slackwater

Deja, thank you, and I don't have an answer to that question, doubt that any man really knows why. I don't remember if Charles' family forced him into it, or what, I just remember thinking as I watched over the years, that he really showed an almost complete disdain for Diana, save for the fact that she bore him two heirs...

Slackwater

WEll, you know to have two heirs, put in a polite way, you have to love someone right? It just seems like he must have loved her once.. and what went so wrong? And why can't stuff be fixed I wonder anymore? Is it the money, the drugs, or what.... I am lost over what enters peoples minds..

Here Jerry Seinfeld’s take on the Royals.’You know, it’s a dress-up. It’s a classic English thing of let’s play dress-up. Let’s pretend that these are special people. OK, we’ll all pretend that – that’s what theatre is,’ he continued. ‘That’s why the British have the greatest theatre in the world. They love to dress up and they love to play pretend. He made these comments in an interview on Daybreak while promoting his stand-up show at the O2 on June 3. He continued “that’s what the Royal Family is – it’s a huge game of pretend. These aren’t special people – it’s fake outfits, fake phoney hats and gowns.’ Seinfeld added: ‘It’s fantastic. We don’t have anything like that.’
:lol:

Well, you know to have two heirs, put in a polite way, you have to love someone right? It just seems like he must have loved her once.. and what went so wrong? And why can't stuff be fixed I wonder anymore? Is it the money, the drugs, or what.... I am lost over what enters peoples minds..

Ready for some gossip? When Charles was having an affair with Camilla, Diana by her own admission during a TV interview (which I saw) admitted that she had an affair with her riding instructor, who was a British army major. X number of months later Harry was born and, was the spitting image of the major, red hair and all. This was picked up by the British press but it was quickly quashed. Some suspect a Royal publication ban. When you look at it, harry doesn't look like anyone in the Royal Family however, he has a striking resemblance to the Major to which she had a publicly admitted affair.

Only the Shadow knows.....

On another note... The Royal Wedding has about as much interest in Canada as it does in the U.S. Yawn! The only connection we have to the Queen really, is that she is our head of state and her portrait is on our $20 bill but no longer on any of our postage stamps. The monarchy is surreptitiously being faded out over time however, the Prime Minister and his wife were invited to the wedding but he can't go as it is just a couple of days before our federal election.

The royals got more skeletons in their closet than a Halloween warehouse. <_<

Archived