SASS Wire Forum

Watched Death Hunt Yesterday

Charlie Bronson and Lee Marvin.

Dang it looked cold. Where did they film that?

Over by Grizz's place?

Canada and New Mexico.

As I was reading through the website Sam posted I noticed:

1. They're making another movie based on this story. It's due out in 2012.

2. Bronson was about 60 when he made Death Hunt. :o I hope I can get around like that when I'm 60!

Now to get a Bristol open cockpit bi-plane into a Wild Bunch Match ...... ^_^

Yeah, what was that guy doing with a machine gun on his plane. I thought it was peace time.

Added for dramatic effect, I suppose.

Maybe the reason it was peace time was because a guy had a machine gun on an airplane. We should try it down El Paso way.

"Say When"

The actual story of Albert Johnson, "The Mad Trapper of Rat River," is pretty interesting. In reality, Johnson (probably not his real name) shot and killed Constable Edgar Millan.

Millan was not the cynical drunk as Lee Marvin portrayed him, but a well-respected and admired Mountie, a straight-laced kind of guy. The actual pilot that spotted Johnson, after Johnson had alluded the RCMP for 45 days, was a flying ace by the name of "Wop" May, if I remember correctly. May didn't shoot anybody from the air accidentally or otherwise. He spotted Johnson's tracks in an area that the Mounties thought would be impossible for Johnson to reach, having closed off access to both passes that would've allowed him to escape. Johnson alluded them by scaling a 7,000-foot peak at night and in the middle of a blizzard without any technical climbing equipment--a feat that professional climbers have said would be virtually impossible even in good weather.

I can't remember exactly how many bullets it took to bring Johnson down, but when they retrieved the body, they found about $2000 in cash (both Canadian and U.S. currency), some gold, and a collection of gold-filled teeth, assumed to be his own. (Remember, this was during the Great Depression, and $2000 was a huge lump of money back then.) They also found a compass, a razor, some fish hooks, a knife, some nails, a dead squirrel and a dead bird. For those forty-some-odd days, Johnson couldn't build a fire or fire a shot to obtain food for fear of being discovered. Must've been one tough son-of-a-gun. They figured he was burning almost 10,000 calories per day staying ahead of the Mounties. When they found him, he weighed only about 100 pounds.

They are still trying to determine his real identity. They've been doing some serious DNA testing this past year but, so far, they haven't come up with anything.

Like I said, he must've been one tough sucker.

You are sure correct about him being one tough dude.

I was somewhat surprised to learn that the movie was not factual in it's entirety.

You mean that Hollywierd lied to us? :unsure:

Wellllll, not exactly lied....just kinda omitted a good chunk of the truth or changed it around a little to make things a bit more interesting. ;)

• 3 months later...

The actual story of Albert Johnson, "The Mad Trapper of Rat River," is pretty interesting. In reality, Johnson (probably not his real name) shot and killed Constable Edgar Millan.

Millan was not the cynical drunk as Lee Marvin portrayed him, but a well-respected and admired Mountie, a straight-laced kind of guy. The actual pilot that spotted Johnson, after Johnson had alluded the RCMP for 45 days, was a flying ace by the name of "Wop" May, if I remember correctly. May didn't shoot anybody from the air accidentally or otherwise. He spotted Johnson's tracks in an area that the Mounties thought would be impossible for Johnson to reach, having closed off access to both passes that would've allowed him to escape. Johnson alluded them by scaling a 7,000-foot peak at night and in the middle of a blizzard without any technical climbing equipment--a feat that professional climbers have said would be virtually impossible even in good weather.

I can't remember exactly how many bullets it took to bring Johnson down, but when they retrieved the body, they found about $2000 in cash (both Canadian and U.S. currency), some gold, and a collection of gold-filled teeth, assumed to be his own. (Remember, this was during the Great Depression, and $2000 was a huge lump of money back then.) They also found a compass, a razor, some fish hooks, a knife, some nails, a dead squirrel and a dead bird. For those forty-some-odd days, Johnson couldn't build a fire or fire a shot to obtain food for fear of being discovered. Must've been one tough son-of-a-gun. They figured he was burning almost 10,000 calories per day staying ahead of the Mounties. When they found him, he weighed only about 100 pounds.

They are still trying to determine his real identity. They've been doing some serious DNA testing this past year but, so far, they haven't come up with anything.

Like I said, he must've been one tough sucker.

Millan's did not approve of Marvin playing their ansecter

Archived