SASS Wire Forum

House fire-primers

Tomboy

I keep all of mine in 50 cal. ammo boxes.air tite and water proof

My money would be on an explosion... possibly with a lot of shrapnel.

Regards, TJH

Tests that I have seen done, they become(if loose)mini-missiles.

Won't kill you per say. BUT they WILL put out an eye and hurt like hell. They "pop" like popcorn.

LG

I used to keep my primers and powder in the ammo cans, not anymore, read in the 1911 forum from a fire marshall, that is like a bomb going off, I keep my primers in the box and sleeves that came in and have mine stored a plastic cooler, not sure if that is any better, but the cooler will melt in case of fire.

Have heard of people putting primers in old fridges they have lying around, seal tight and the fridge won't burn, so I have been told. Hopefully I never have a fire, knock on wood

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. I know alot of people that just store them on a shelf by their reloading area, in the boxes and sleeves, the powder the same, powder container will burn and burn the powder so I have heard, I'm no expert, just what I have read, and you can't believe everything you read now a days either, if concerned contact your fire department, they can tell you the straight facts. My fire department is only 1 1/2 miles away and their response is fast, we used them once, burnt offering on the stove, LOL

Bomb! That is why NFPA regs recomend not storing more than 10K in any residence.

BTW as a VFF, if you ever do have a house fire please let us know what we will be up against in terms of powder, primers, etc. CAFS will knock it down faster than standard water.

FWIW, everyone here has instructions. If my shop ever catches fire, make sure the FD does nothing more than wet down the nearby garage from a safe distance, but otherwise, wait for the fireworks to be over before attempting close-up firefighting of the shop itself. NOTHING inside is worth a fireman killed or seriously injured. I'm not sure how that'd shake out with the insurance folk, if it ever happened, but I sleep OK with that.

Bomb! That is why NFPA regs recomend not storing more than 10K in any residence.

BTW as a VFF, if you ever do have a house fire please let us know what we will be up against in terms of powder, primers, etc. CAFS will knock it down faster than standard water.

X2

Hint: IF, you see me running away....SO should everydangbody :o:lol:

FWIW: The gas in your car, that is in the garage is the big issue ;)

Cheers,

LG

They will pop off. As already stated, like popcorn. Loud scary popcorn.They would tend to spread the fire but would not do significant structural damage. They're primers, not a pipe bomb. Now a can of BP going off is another matter...

Loaded ammo in a house fire can cause injury but minor. In centerfire ammo the primer will have the greatest risk and can go through the first layer of a firemans turnout coat. The case and the bullet have less risk because their weight slows them. On rim fire the case may fragment but is very light and greatest risk is to the eye. The bullet will have about the same velocity as a spitwad at close range ( 200 to 300 fps) The NRA did a study on this risk about 15 years ago. As far as relaoding componets it will have alot do to with the mass and container. The more mass the bigger the risk. Most smokeless will burn at a given rate unless confined. There is limited risk of explosion unless confined or quanity is involved. I have investigated fires for over 31 years and have yet to see a problem. In general these things are more noise then a problem.

Marshal Fire

I have investigated fires for over 31 years and have yet to see a problem.

Marshal, in your years in the fire investigation profession, any experiences with properly or improperly stored powder? Either nitro based or black powder?

Archived