SASS Wire Forum

any thoughts on 16 ga

River Jordan, SASS 18742

I am thinking about buying an older stevens 16 ga with extractors. It is in the 5000 serial number block.

Can Anyone offer their experience?

will the safety need to be disabled ( does it reset each time)

The one I found is a good price and looks good and tight.

One thing to keep in mind is the cost of ammo and availability.

IF you can find it at your run of the mill places, it is usually much more expensive and there is no variety or no choice at all. Many times just one load.

Something to keep in mind if you ever travel to other shoots and get in a bind and have stop at Wal-Mart.

If you are reloading, fine.

The only people I ever see with 16's are 97 shooters. The smaller diameter of the shell is more conducive to grabbing four than a 12 gauge.

Just do not see any advantage for a double shooter for using a 16 unless you just Love that particular gun.

If it just a price thing, I would keep shopping and wait for a deal on twelve.

Definately hard to find. Wal-Mart doesn't carry 16 ga around here & only one gun shop has it @ $4 a box higher than 12 or 20 ga. One other shop will special order it for a customer.

16 is a very nice gauge to shoot. They don't call them "sweet 16s" for nothing. They are a nice compromise between 12 and 20ga. As has been pointed out, they are expensive to feed and the shells can be hard to find. I have passed on them and chosen the 12 for all around work, but, if the 16 looks good to you and you can deal with the ammo issue, have fun.

I should add

I will be reloading

If you will be reloading a 16 gauge makes a bit more sense to get if you like the gun. I bought mine because I wanted a long barreled, non-Damascus shotgun with hammers at something resembling a reasonable price. I picked up a Belgian Guild gun that fit that criteria. Like others have said already, 16 gauge is pretty much a reloading only proposition as factory 16 gauge is hard to find, pricy and it kicks. I use mine for BP and it is a VERY pleasant gun to shoot.

Good online sources for 16 gauge reloading components: http://www.grafs.com, http://www.ballisticproducts.com, http://www.precisionreloading.com.

A place for 16 gauge shotgun accessories like a belt and such: http://www.csmcspecials.com/

I loved the 16 I owned until the day I was hunting 50 miles from the nearest store with a 12 gauge O/U and a pocket full of only 16 gauge shells. Now I only own 12s and a .410. I decided that even I could tell the difference between those two at a glance.

Howdy

My first cowboy shotgun was an old 16 gauge Stevens 311 that had been sitting in the back of my closet since around 1970. I only brought it to one match, until I discovered how hard it was to find 16 gauge shells anywhere. The only thing I could find was game loads, which are more powerful than I wanted.

Nice idea to load for 16, but components are even harder to find than loaded shells. Trust me on this.

Soon as I could, I found another nice old 12 gauge Stevens.

A inexpensive gun starts getting expensive if you have difficulty finding ammo for it.

I shoot a Fox 16 ga. double. I load all brass shells, have over 150 of the pretty things.

I use 7/8 oz. of shot, Unique powder, and the knock-downs go down.

This year at Winter Range I shot all 12 stages with the brass jewels. Shot both soda can flyers too.

I have a stash of Factory 16's. For many 16 shooters here in this area we use the Remington RGL's & Federal's. Big 5 Sporting Goods has the RGL & I buy the federals at WM.

The myth is that 16 shells are hard to find. -_-

The myth is that 16 shells are hard to find.

Well Lefty, you ought to come here and try to find some. Like I said, all I could find was game loads.

Howdy Pard ;

I shoot two S X Ss in 16 Ga. and I love them one a 90 year old Stevens (28 in. Barrels) and the other a Winchester M-24 made in the USA...

I found Remington "Game Loads" (GL168)at $5.99 per box Bought 4 cases at the local "Bass Pro" .... Also Bought a bunch of Federal " Game Shok"

(H160 7.5),(H160 6.0)& (H160 8.0) also for $5.99 per box .... Remington and Wind-Jammer both make the wads and "Green Dot is the Powder of choice ...

Hope this helps ,,,, If I can be of futher assistance PM me .... Include Your Phone # if you want to talk on my Dime ....

Jabez Cowboy

I shoot 16 ga 97's 75% of the time. Ammo is readily available from distributors so if your local shop doesn't stock it, it's because he has no demand from his customer base. Cost averages about $2 per box more from distributors but with the cost of setting up a manufacturing line and having to amortize it over the amount being made, that's not an extraordinary cost difference. Just but it by the case (which I do) or reload. You'll love your 16.

in parts of the country where the 16 was very popular "back in the day" Ammo is still easy to buy my local hardware store has game loads for it but does not carry 28 gage ammo or 410.

I have always liked the 16 best and shoot either my Parker or J P Saur SxS for SASS

but if you want to buy soft recoil 16 gage ammo then you best roll your own though Buffalo arms does sell a nice Black powder load

if your 16 has a splinter fore end you will want one of these (even more so if you shoot black powder)

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=674494

I guess any of the better SASS leather vendors could make you one that was a bit more cowboy in tooled leather

I started with a 16 that my uncle brought back from France after WWII. That was goin' on 12 years ago. I still use it. I shoot BP in mine. If you're not allergic (read: can't stand the stuff) to BP the fiber wads from Circle Fly work just fine.

If you like the gun, by all means, get it. Don't let the naysayers make your decision for you.

Guest Joe West, SASS#1532 L Regulator

If the price is right I'd get the 16 ga.

16 guage has a lot going for it. Components and loaded shells have not been a problem for me. Go to your local FFL or gun club and price case orders, I find no difference in 12 ga. prices. That being said the local Wal Mart here carries a Remington 1 oz. #71/2 shot, 2 3/4 dram load that I really like cheaper than I can get them shipped to me. Bass Pro and other chains here carry them as well if you don't want to buy case lots. I haven't had any problem getting buckshot or slugs either. Those Remington hulls are tough, I've loaded them a lot of times even with BP.

Sorry for those of you that live places you can't get stuff or even have it shipped in.

Joe

Reloading the 16 is getting easier too. There are two wad mamufacturers that have now started supplying wads for the 16 ga. One is Down Range Wads and the other is Claybuster. The Down Range wad is designed for the lighter 16 ga. loads. All other components are readily available almost everywhere. Hulls are still the hardest component to come by. Just have to purchase a case of new ammo every once in a while to obtain the hulls.

RBK

I have 5- I think, at last count, unless I've missed one. Ammo is also available at the Dick's chain-usually- they sometimes live up to their name ;) . Usually Rem Game Loads- they don't kick me that much, and I'm only 5'6.

Hi River,

I started with a 16 gauge. I couldn't tell any difference between it and a 12 gauge. Hubby got tired of loading two kinds of shells so I switched. A very good shooter friend bought it. He likes them because he can pull more shells at one time with the 16 gauge.

One thing I loved about it was that you could get purple shells! ;)

Regards,

Allie Mo

I did it for a season or two with a Stevens hammer gun, but I wasn't equipped to reload 16 gauge and it was hard to find shells. I traded it off for another gun (now I have its twin in 12 gauge and I wish I still had the 16).

I am thinking about buying an older stevens 16 ga with extractors. It is in the 5000 serial number block.

Can Anyone offer their experience?

will the safety need to be disabled ( does it reset each time)

The one I found is a good price and looks good and tight.

Been using a 16-gauge SxS for about 45+ years now, came from my Grandad. Got another from a Great Uncle, also works fine, but it has twist (Damascus) barrels so I don't use it too much.

For CAS, you can buy 16-gauge loads on-line by the case, but there's not much choice in light loads similar to Winchester's Low Noise/Low Recoil (aka Featherlight) loads. Remington Game Loads, for example, are (I think) 1-oz. shot at 1100 fps... unlike Winchester's 26-grams (~7/8-ounce) of shot @ 980 fps. These are usually available at promotional prices at Bass Pro and places like that. OTOH, as you say, you could load your own; Ballistic Products has components. Besides, the standard loads are no big deal. (You can by real high-brass hunting loads, too, although you have to do some shopping to find those.)

If it has an automatic safety, yes, it'll reset each time. I've disabled automatic safeties on other guns... but never bothered on this 16-gauge, and I'm so used to it I never even notice myself taking it off safe. I wouldn't mess with the safety until you've shot several matches with the gun, then you can decide whether it's an issue or not. And I bet it wouldn't make any difference until you really need to shave 100ths of seconds off in order to beat somebody like Deuce Stevens :)

I'm not familiar with that Stevens. Be aware, some manufacturers made a 16-gauge on a 12-gauge frame; not much advantage there, for field carry. Stevens has a broad line of guns, though, so I'd expect they made theirs on a truw 16-gauge frame, i.e., somewhere in physical size between a small 20 and a standard 12.

-Chris

I shoot my family hand down 97 in 16 guage sparingly but never had any issue finding 16 guage shells.

They were upland game loads - but I have always found those loads pleasant to shoot.

If I find a nice looking mule eared double in 16 guage with steel barrels for a reasonable price i would get it.

PR

I shot an old Fox B in 16 gauge for the first couple years I was in SASS. It's a fine gun. Had an opportunity to buy a 12 gauge at a good price and started using that more, simply because it was easier to find factory loads that weren't as punishing. Eventually, the 16 gauge went to one of my sons who wanted it as a home protection gun. I might mention the fact that I also gave him a very formidable supply of 0-buck. You can find 16 gauge ammo...maybe not as readily as 12 or 20 and maybe not at the bargain prices, but it's out there.

If you like a 16 gauge and that's your only option, go for it.

A small rod comes back and pushes the safety on as you open the action.

You can bend it out, than move back and bend it in, like a dog-leg.

The rod will miss the safety and not set it automatically.

It can be straightened back latter if you want to reactivate the auto safey.

May need to remove a little wood inside the stock if it rubs!!

Not the same on all Stevens gun.

Just an idea.

BH

Archived