SASS Wire Forum

Is a hat required

Coalman

I haven't been spending much time on the wire for a while. This thread is one of the reasons why.

Is a hat mandatory if you are not shooting Classic Cowboy or B Western?

No.

It was said 6 pages ago????????

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think that you would want a 100x Beaver hat,I don't think a wool felt hat could handle that treatment.

Deuce,

I don't think I would go that far. After you told him.......and after he did it..................I wouldn't want it back! :)

You aint got to be in favor of it.

But if you are a believer in freedom - you have to accept it.

No I do not. Don't gotta accept flag-burnin' either.

Buck, I am not advocating the enforcement of a non-existent rule. I AM advocating the passing of a new rule.

Seven pages of dead horse whippin’.

For all of you who kept it going for so long, and in some cases making it very personal. Well, my hat’s off to ya.

Seven pages of dead horse whippin’.

For all of you who kept it going for so long, and in some cases making it very personal. Well, my hat’s off to ya.

That's funny right thar, I don't care who you are.

Is this thread intended to be entertaining, or are there people out there who actually care? There are a bunch of really good reasons why people might not be wearing a hat while shooting a match, so obviously requiring one to be worn is a little silly. And, while our sport would look a little silly if nobody wore a hat, it seems unlikely (given the strong feelings shown on the subject) that that is going to happen any time soon.

So seriously, is this thread just for fun, or can someone explain to me what we're supposed to be worried about.

Just wonderin'

Bud

Ye are right Bud. I am such a worry wart. Never mind everyone!

NOT. The thing is we are cowboy shooters. Wearing the hat is the essence of the sport. It is our public face. If there starts to be a bunch of videos showing a bunch of Bare Heads it will kill recruitment. Which of you would have wanted to start this game if you saw a video of a shoot with a bunch of bare heads.

To date it is not a problem. At least 90% to as much as 99% of us wear some sort of 19th century headgear. But what if it gets out of hand? What if this Bare Head business spreads like wildfire. Imagine the dim dark future where the Bare Heads have taken over. No one answered my question of what they would think if I showed up to shoot at an outfit once known as SASS but now known as BHSS and they said ok you can shoot but first ya gotta lose the hat.

It's like why can't I use my DA Starr or my Savage 99 or my trusty ole thutty thutty in the main match. Because. We are cowboys. We have a Cross on our chapel. We need a rule. We do not need this Bare Head business to spread. Need to nip it, nip it in the bud Andy. Maybe the General could issue an edict.

Now I will admit, going hatless would be preferable to that thingie Waimea has promised never to wear again.

Confession time. 2 months ago I shot a match hatless. But not by choice. The wind was about 60 mile an hour straight outta the north and I could NOT keep me hat on even with the stampede string. Kept me ears covered with one of those headband/earmuff things. It was way too cold to shoot but no one ever accused us of having good sense.

Speaking of good sense. Get a hat. Wear it with pride or swallow your pride and wear it anyway.

That's funny right thar, I don't care who you are.

Is this thread intended to be entertaining, or are there people out there who actually care? There are a bunch of really good reasons why people might not be wearing a hat while shooting a match, so obviously requiring one to be worn is a little silly. And, while our sport would look a little silly if nobody wore a hat, it seems unlikely (given the strong feelings shown on the subject) that that is going to happen any time soon.

So seriously, is this thread just for fun, or can someone explain to me what we're supposed to be worried about.

Just wonderin'

Bud

We are supposed to be worried about the decline...the TOTAL collapse of Western Civilization!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My gawd son - don'tcha git it?????!?!!!?!?!?!??!?!?!

It the end!!!

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Water into beer my friend...

:mellow:

Lone Dog, I guess the real problem is that I haven't seen any kind of increase in the number of shooters going "bare headed". I've seen it before, always for innocent reasons, and it's never really seemed like an issue.

Is this happening more than I know? Am I blinded by a misplaced apathy? Are the bare-headers coming for us?

I'm really having trouble not reading this like that "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast that caused such a stir back in the 30s. Seems like there's a lot of worry over some fictitious invasion of the wrong-thinkers.

Bud, what's got his period correct tin-foil hat on.

(P.S. With all the wind-blowing that's going on around here, you'd think some people would lighten up about keeping your hats on.)

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

Is this happening more than I know? Am I blinded by a misplaced apathy?

You might be blinded by the reflection of the bright illuminance of the sun!! Save on sunscreen!! Save a tree!! Wear a beaver!! Or wear a Doo rag I don't care!! :D

I will go out on a limb here and say the majority of us want to see all male shooters wear a cowboy hat or some other suitable 19th Century headgear. A rather large if not vast majority. Yes it should be a rule. JFK killed the hat wearing custom in this country. I fear it could become acceptable at our shoots and to me and I do believe most of us it is not. I do not want to see bare head shooters get to be even a minor percentage of shooters. I do not think the vast majority of our members do either. They are just not speaking up for fear of being considered intolerant. I have no such fear. I speak my mind. Bare headed cowboy shooters? Bah!

And what do you base your view that the majority of us want to see all male shooters wear a hat? I have not seen that. No SASS wide poll?? There is no rule requiring hats and if anyone tells a hatless shooter they need a hat, tell them to go eat dirt or whatever! Clothing zealots or worse, Bah!

Look, this is COWBOY Action Shooting. Cowboys did and do wear COWBOY hats. HELLO!! I do not want to be posseed up with a bunch of bareheads. Yes it would ruin it for me. I would start an NCOWS posse. I am not a thread counter by any means but just wear a hat or derby or kepi or mechanic's cap or newsboy cap or a warbonnet/headband for pity's sakes. How hard is that? It's not. We ask very very little to conform to SASS minimum costume requirements. Wearing a hat is not asking much at all to "get with the program". I do not think there is any medical condition that would legitimately preclude such a little requirement or convention of wearing a hat.

So far I counted 2 mebbe 3 if you include BJT altho I suspect he wear a hat most times ? or not ?? Anyway far less than 1% organization-wide I'll wager. So it's not a problem yet. I would hate to see it become one. It's a tiny skin cancer on the body of CAS so far, I would sure hate to see it metastasize and spread for it would surely kill the body.

We all know why the few obstinate ones do not start the Bare Head Shooting Society. Because they would be very very lonely. Instead they want to hang with us and ruin the ambiance for the vast majority. Not very cowboy in my eyes. Legal but frowned on and distasteful for most of us. Lot's of things are legal that should not be, take flag-burning for instance... Just sayin'...YMMV.

What a bunch of crap, do we care what you want or desire, we follow the rules. Don't like the rules then change them.

Actually Yer the one makin a big deal about this, just wear a hat and get into the "spirit of the game" take it off when the shoot is over for gosh sakes :wacko:

No actually the clothing zealots are the ones making a big deal of it. Just wish folks would read the darn rules. What is the spirit of the game crap about not wearing a hat, read what the rules say about spirit of the game.

From the shooters handbook:

The truly unique aspect of Cowboy Action Shooting™ is the requirement placed on

authentic period or western screen dress. Each participant is required to adopt a shooting alias

appropriate to a character or profession of the late 19th century, or a Hollywood western star,

and develop a costume accordingly.

Now, I may be wrong (has been know to happen - like about 3/4 of the time I open my trap - but what does "required" mean there? Does it mean optional? And do you build your authentic period or western screen dress on the exceptions you can find to everything, or on the generality?

Hmmm......geee....it says "dress" ..... not pants.....does that mean, per the strict letter of the rules, that you can only wear a dress? It doesn't say "mode of dress" so it must mean that you can only wear dresses.

Bud is a very perceptive and smart young man. He smelled the rat. I guess others here are so used to me ranting, they could not perceive the irony and the sarcasm. My main purpose here was to try to get folks to think. About the possibilities and the repercussions.

Not so much about hats but about perceptions. I think the cowboy hat is the #1 icon of our sport. Without that one item of attire we are just another shooting game. It is the main thing that makes us different. But we really don't need a rule requiring the wearing of one yet do we. Accent on the word yet.

So far peer pressure has been sufficient to influence most folks to wear a hat. So far. I really don't see that changing much in my lifetime at least. Maybe not ever. Those choosing not to wear period headgear are so few and far between that I fear the Bare Heads taking over SASS less than I fear the collectivists taking over the country. Wait a minute, scratch that last thought.

So long as I am not forbidden from wearing a cowboy hat, I can probably sail on thru what's left of my life a fat happy camper.

Now let's turn the discussion a little. I already mentioned my obese belly hanging over my gunbelt. Most of those back in "them days" were scrawny. I am far from scrawny and not a good representation of the cowboys back in them days. If folks can overlook my obesity surely I can be not so chicken little about the very few hatless shooters. No I really don't think we are in any danger of the Bare Heads taking over.

Take vests for another case. From all I have read and heard, back in them days it was considered scandalous for a man to venture out in public without a vest and usually a sackcoat or such as well. If we were required to wear vests to copy the custom back then, I would have to stay home most of the year. I enjoy wearing a vest when it's cool out. I am very sweaty and hot blooded and when it gets warm out the vest comes off early or even stays home. So I am thankful we don't have a vest rule.

Hopefully we never get to the point we actually truly need a hat rule. Thanks to all for participating in this string and being so civil.

Bud for President.

I have been sitting back and mostly just reading these replies (over 225 replies and 3750 reads)I really appreciate the support that most have given and also respect the ones that don't It is your right to agree or disagree and leave it at that I did go to a shoot on Sunday (without a hat) and it was one of the better shoots I had since I started shooting several years ago. It was the first shoot of the year and I shot clean The biggest reason I enjoyed was there was not one person who made a comment about not having the hat I guess they read this post ?? Hopefully this is a done deal and everybody can go shoot and have a good time and dress the way they choose, as long as it is within the SASS guidelines It does not have to be approved by the costume police

...I guess they read this post ?? ...

Hey Coalman,

Don't count on it. It's been my experience that most folks do not read the wire.

I'd rather think most folks know there is no hat rule. However, more likely, folks are just glad to have someone new join them.

Regards,

Allie Mo

No trust me they knew about it as the person who runs one of the local shoots replied on here as did another said person whom I never met ask up if I was Coal Man And if they didn't why was every other shoot the hat ALWAYS an issue and nothing said this time

Hey Coal Man,

Don't count on it. It's been my experience that most folks do not read the wire.

I'd rather think most folks know there is no hat rule. However, more likely, folks are just glad to have someone new join them.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Latest hat rules change: Here

:lol:

'Some say hat makes them look professional; others say headwear causes confusion'

Also

“I’m against hats. They mess up your hair, promote baldness and it looks really stupid to be walking around with a hat on,”

So that's been the issue with my disappearing hair :lol:

Hmmmm - guess that's why ya don't see too many naturally bald indians :P

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I saw one person shooting without a hat and she had a case from the 73 slide right down between her eyebrow and glasses. It doesn't take long for a hot case to burn the thin eyelid skin.
I wore a Civil War kepi at a match once and had a spent casing go down the back of my shirt. I finished the stage really fast (not really caring what I missed at that point. I can’t remember now how I scored on that stage) and as soon as I was done, I put down my rifle and someone else grabbed the back of shirt and yanked it out from being tucked into my britches. Thankfully everyone understood what was going on. I didn’t have any marks but man, that sucker sure burned while I was trying to get done with the stage. I’d never wear a hat without a full brim or go bare headed again while shooting my lever action!

I'm really having trouble not reading this like that "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast that caused such a stir back in the 30s. Seems like there's a lot of worry over some fictitious invasion of the wrong-thinkers.

The hat-slackers are in cahoots with Obammer the Hammer to take all our guns and ammo. Warning: DO NOT ALLOW HAT-SLACKERS TO BE ALONE WITH YOUR GUNS!:ph34r::lol:

Archived