SASS Wire Forum

Is a hat required

Coalman

Look, this is COWBOY Action Shooting. Cowboys did and do wear COWBOY hats. HELLO!! I do not want to be posseed up with a bunch of bareheads. Yes it would ruin it for me. I would start an NCOWS posse. I am not a thread counter by any means but just wear a hat or derby or kepi or mechanic's cap or newsboy cap or a warbonnet/headband for pity's sakes. How hard is that? It's not. We ask very very little to conform to SASS minimum costume requirements. Wearing a hat is not asking much at all to "get with the program". I do not think there is any medical condition that would legitimately preclude such a little requirement or convention of wearing a hat.

So far I counted 2 mebbe 3 if you include BJT altho I suspect he wear a hat most times ? or not ?? Anyway far less than 1% organization-wide I'll wager. So it's not a problem yet. I would hate to see it become one. It's a tiny skin cancer on the body of CAS so far, I would sure hate to see it metastasize and spread for it would surely kill the body.

We all know why the few obstinate ones do not start the Bare Head Shooting Society. Because they would be very very lonely. Instead they want to hang with us and ruin the ambiance for the vast majority. Not very cowboy in my eyes. Legal but frowned on and distasteful for most of us. Lot's of things are legal that should not be, take flag-burning for instance... Just sayin'...YMMV.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, this is COWBOY Action Shooting. Cowboys did and do wear COWBOY hats. HELLO!! I do not want to be posseed up with a bunch of bareheads. Yes it would ruin it for me. I would start an NCOWS posse. I am not a thread counter by any means but just wear a hat or derby or kepi or mechanic's cap or newsboy cap or a warbonnet/headband for pity's sakes. How hard is that? It's not. We ask very very little to conform to SASS minimum costume requirements. Wearing a hat is not asking much at all to "get with the program". I do not think there is any medical condition that would legitimately preclude such a little requirement or convention of wearing a hat.

So far I counted 2 mebbe 3 if you include BJT altho I suspect he wear a hat most times ? or not ?? Anyway far less than 1% organization-wide I'll wager. So it's not a problem yet. I would hate to see it become one. It's a tiny skin cancer on the body of CAS so far, I would sure hate to see it metastasize and spread for it would surely kill the body.

We all know why the few obstinate ones do not start the Bare Head Shooting Society. Because they would be very very lonely. Instead they want to hang with us and ruin the ambiance for the vast majority. Not very cowboy in my eyes. Legal but frowned on and distasteful for most of us. Lot's of things are legal that should not be, take flag-burning for instance... Just sayin'...YMMV.

I'm going to assume that you mean that the "bareheads" want to hang with the CAS crowd, and that doing so has the effect of ruining the ambiance for the "hatheads," not that the bareheads wish to ruin the ambiance by hanging with the CAS crowd.

Out of curiosity, if a person takes pains to dress "old time western" with period appropriate pants and suspenders, perhaps a shirt requiring a separate collar, tie, watch and chain, etc, but foregoes the hat, then what? Is he still somehow worse than the person who shows up in jeans, modern western boots, button up shirt (no button down collar of course) and modern style straw hat? Not trying to stir the puddin' or anything, but this whole thing has me just shaking my head in amazement.

WOW...........this thread is the perfect example of why the SASS rulebooks are so big :excl:

Six pages to discuss a simple topic :excl:

There are apparently far more lawyers shooting CAS than I thought :excl:^_^

We have one guy here in MI that does not wear a hat. He wears earmuffs when he shoots most of the time and I think that is mostly the reason for no hat. Although he does seem to enjoy the comments he gets from folks. I have a friend that refuses to RO for him due to the fact that he does not wear a hat. Just like it's not illegal to shoot hatless it's not illegal for my pard to refuse to time him. Sitting here trying to figure out when we got so damned PC in this sport.

It is like my original post There are only a few people who seam to make a big deal out of all the little things It just takes all the fun out of it Most of the others say to have a safe and good time I am going to shoot in the pa state shoot this year and I just wanted to know ahead of time Like I said if it is in the rules I will do it BUT I am not going to do it just to keep 1or2 people happy If they don't like it don't look I am so glad you folks helped me out That is the way it should be Go shoot and EVERYBODY have a safe and good time without a few ruining it

Actually Yer the one makin a big deal about this, just wear a hat and get into the "spirit of the game" take it off when the shoot is over for gosh sakes :wacko:

I wear a hat mostly cause the protection it provides. I have had a couple of those hot pieces of brass behind the shooting glasses and man it hurt.

But if I chose not to wear one, being within the rules, I would probaly carry one with me and tell anyone who gave me grief they could stick my hat it in thier @#$.

Should wearing a hat be a rule. Except as specifically required, no.

That said never underestimate the power of social pressure. If nearly everybody expects a hate, after a little while nearly everybody will wear a hat. Nobody wants to spit into the wind.

But if I chose not to wear one, being within the rules, I would probaly carry one with me and tell anyone who gave me grief they could stick my hat it in thier @#$.

I would think that you would want a 100x Beaver hat,I don't think a wool felt hat could handle that treatment.

Should wearing a hat be a rule. Except as specifically required, no.

That said never underestimate the power of social pressure. If nearly everybody expects a hate, after a little while nearly everybody will wear a hat. Nobody wants to spit into the wind.

Apparently there are a few who do. Spit in the wind, care not for our tradition, ignore majority opinion just so they can do their own thing, never mind it irritates the most of us.

Ya wanta shoot cowboy, wear a cowboy hat. Cause that's just the way we roll out here in the Wild West. :FlagAm:

Phantom,

I'm not clear who you're talking about or what specific segment you're referring to. Help me out here. Specific charges or specific examples would make it clearer to me.

Cole

Sorry...you'll have to let yer imagination run with what I posted...wait...okay, imagine folks out and about in the 19th century with no camera around.

As far as specific charges...well...I charge that some folks have a vision of the 19th century that supports what they want to believe the 19th century was all about.

I charge that some folks here on the WIRE need to get out and shoot more...worry less...or join NCOWS.

Cheers!

Phantom (BJT and Garage Experiment Fan!!!)

Apparently there are a few who do. Spit in the wind, care not for our tradition, ignore majority opinion just so they can do their own thing, never mind it irritates the most of us.

Ya wanta shoot cowboy, wear a cowboy hat. Cause that's just the way we roll out here in the Wild West. :FlagAm:

What majority opinion requires a hat? If we really have a majority opinion on this it would be easy to have a rule change requiring a hat for all shooters.

to all the people reading this thread and thinking that if they come out and try our sport with the minimum requirements that someone will come up and give them grief for what they are wearing...

i have shot in monthly and annual matches from coast to coast, many state matches from 5 or 6 different states, a bunch regionals from different areas, Winter Range 5 or 6 times, and EOT twice. i wear zipper fly jeans, button down collar work shirts (99% of the time they are denim), low heeled boots, a belt (never suspenders), and a goofy looking straw hat IF the wind is not blowing.

NOBODY and i mean NOBODY has ever come up to me and said ANYTHING about how i am dressed in a negative fashion AT ALL, EVER, NOT EVEN ONCE.

please don't let the posters on this thread make you think you must go above and beyond the requirements to play this game in any other way than what you want within the rules. go to a shoot and you will see a completely different mind set than what you read here on the wire. at the shoot you will meet people who are GLAD that you are there and will welcome your efforts at trying this game with open arms.

CBJ

I will go out on a limb here and say the majority of us want to see all male shooters wear a cowboy hat or some other suitable 19th Century headgear. A rather large if not vast majority. Yes it should be a rule. JFK killed the hat wearing custom in this country. I fear it could become acceptable at our shoots and to me and I do believe most of us it is not. I do not want to see bare head shooters get to be even a minor percentage of shooters. I do not think the vast majority of our members do either. They are just not speaking up for fear of being considered intolerant. I have no such fear. I speak my mind. Bare headed cowboy shooters? Bah!

I will go out on a limb here and say the majority of us want to see all male shooters wear a cowboy hat or some other suitable 19th Century headgear. A rather large if not vast majority. Yes it should be a rule. JFK killed the hat wearing custom in this country. I fear it could become acceptable at our shoots and to me and I do believe most of us it is not. I do not want to see bare head shooters get to be even a minor percentage of shooters. I do not think the vast majority of our members do either. They are just not speaking up for fear of being considered intolerant. I have no such fear. I speak my mind. Bare headed cowboy shooters? Bah!

and because YOU feel this way then we all must act accordingly? i think not.

and because YOU feel this way then we all must act accordingly? i think not.

I really don't know why you all are arguing about the hat thing. Hats are not required. There were folks, men and women alike, in the old west who did not wear them, and they're comfortably depicted in movies as such, which is also allowed in the Handbook.

Beyond the rules, we're talking about someone pushing their own preferences on others.

Aunt Jen

Evidently there are people that think their version of CAS is the only way, forget what the rules are.

If something is required then the “rules” reflect that, if not then they reflect that also by omission.

Just because “you” think so does not a “rule” make.

Classic Cowboy & B Western HAVE to wear a hat, no one else!!

CAS encompasses a wide range of the ‘Old” west, cowboys, storekeepers, bar tenders, lawyers, doctors, Indians, soldiers, drummers, farmers & the list goes on. A lot of these did not wear a hat as a part of their everyday dress, everywhere they went.

Give it a rest; your vision/version is not the only one in town.

Myself, I couldn’t care less if he wore a hat or not.

And IF I didn’t want to wear a hat, and any one tried to coerce me into wearing one—I’d tell them to kiss my A**

It's gettin' a little old folks saying over and over and over there is no rule agin bare head shootin'. It's like they are tellin' me to shut up. Thank ye but no thank ye. There is not a rule but I surely do believe there SHOULD be. And I am allowed to HAVE and to EXPRESS my opinion. Ringo, I would never dare to tell anyone they had to wear a hat. Not until I win the lotto and buy SASS that is. On that day everybody better beg, borrow, or buy some kinda 19th century chapeau or stay home.

If the bare heads take over and I show up to shoot and they tell me to ditch the hat, what would alla y'all more tolerant than me feel about that possible future nightmare scenario?

Hmm - I always thought we were emulating the COWBOY of the American West.

Ya know, rugged individualism - freedom - self reliant - don't fence me in?

If everyone else is doing it - you don't really need a concept like Liberty or Freedom.

Freedom means you have the right to be contrary and that decision is respected (even if it irritates you).

I guess I missed the part where conformity over ruled all.

Found one!

Man in bonnet

Now I need to find the photo of the small group of men wearing bonnets.

Great find! Now all I have to do is find a pretty floral one and I'm set. Maybe I should've asked SASS for the alias "Powerful Ugly Creature..."

Creekster, I'm all for rugged individualism and I fought for freedom.

Bare Head Cowboy Shooting -- well I AIN'T in favor of it, no not one little bit.

You aint got to be in favor of it.

But if you are a believer in freedom - you have to accept it.

Perfect! I can get one of those and stick it in with my gear. That way if I forget my hat, lose my hat, get caught on a windy day, or just want to be contrary, I can have western style headwear.

Now, should I have a shawl with it like in the clip, or would that get in the way of shooting? I see shawls aren't required, and they aren't forbidden...

Dear Joe,

Please don't encourage the cross-dressing men. Or, you might have to look at something like this. :blink::wacko::lol:

Regards,

Allie Mo

Yes ma'am....sorry ma'am. Funny thing is, that is surprisingly close to the photo from the mid-1860s I'm trying to track down again. And gives new meaning to "powerful ugly creature."

Perfect! I can get one of those and stick it in with my gear. That way if I forget my hat, lose my hat, get caught on a windy day, or just want to be contrary, I can have western style headwear.

Now, should I have a shawl with it like in the clip, or would that get in the way of shooting? I see shawls aren't required, and they aren't forbidden...

The shawl might get caught up in the hammer spurs if there is any wind. Safety issue there.

Four pages on hats. Damn. Must be raining all over the country.

UI for one will be glad, cause I got a question about "is it legal to wear a thong at SASS shoots" and don't want to detract from the chore at hand. :rolleyes:

Yes ma'am....sorry ma'am. Funny thing is, that is surprisingly close to the photo from the mid-1860s I'm trying to track down again. And gives new meaning to "powerful ugly creature."

Yeah, I think I can safely say I wouldn't live up to that alias now.

The shawl might get caught up in the hammer spurs if there is any wind. Safety issue there.

Good point. Note to self: No shawl.

UI for one will be glad, cause I got a question about "is it legal to wear a thong at SASS shoots" and don't want to detract from the chore at hand. :rolleyes:

Well, it isn't prohibited in the rules, and there is no evidence that they didn't wear them so it must be legal.

I'll refrain from posting any of the images that came up from the google search "cowboy in thong."

Well, it isn't prohibited in the rules, and there is no evidence that they didn't wear them so it must be legal.

I for one will not volunteer to check if someone is or isn't, and I would prefer not to be told.

I'll refrain from posting any of the images that came up from the google search "cowboy in thong."

We all thank you.

While reading Lonesome Dove, I've determined Larry McMurtry can say more about nothing yet keep it interesting than any writer I have ever encountered. With that in mind, I think we should hire him to write the Book of Rules that Don't Exist for it would be far more entertaining than listening to the ridiculous ramblings of a few who think they know what the rules are…because "they've always heard..."

A couple of years ago, due to a low prop in the path of my movement between guns, I took my hat off to shoot the stage and was informed that "according to the rules, you must begin a stage with your hat on." Recently while stage directions were being read, a participant began to point his finger at targets (shadow shooting). The reader of the scenario informed him that if he didn't stop, he was going to have to call him for it. I don't think he was really going to attempt to "call" it, but as I began to explain that there was no rule against shadow shooting, I quickly found out that there was more than one who thought it was "against the rules."

FWIW, I think that the limited number of folks out there who attempt to enforce non-existent rules do far more harm to our game than the extremely limited few who are minimalist dressers. Perhaps we need a rule against attempting to enforce non-existant rules.

Joe,

I'm not much of a drinker but I swear I'd like to sit down and have a beer with you and DocWard. I value a sense of humor a wee bit more than a friend with strong opinions. I was rocked back in my chair when I read your post and almost flipped over.

Cole

Joe,

I'm not much of a drinker but I swear I'd like to sit down and have a beer with you and DocWard. I value a sense of humor a wee bit more than a friend with strong opinions. I was rocked back in my chair when I read your post and almost flipped over.

Cole

Only "almost?" Dang, must be out of practice! :lol:

Archived