SASS Wire Forum

Is a hat required

Coalman

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a safety point of view, anytime you step on a range with a loaded weapon you should be wearing a hat with a bill(turned toward the front), a wide brimmed hat or wraparound eye protection that prevents a piece of brass from getting into your eye. I know someone is thinking, "Its my eyes, I'll risk 'em if I want". The trouble is that on public ranges the chance that you could unintentionally crank a round off due to a cringe response is fairly great. Searing hot brass in your eye will preclude any positive control you may think you have over a firearm. So I would favor but not require hats on ranges.

All wraparound eye protection is not created equal. Some eye protection only works if it is supplemented by headgear. Of course, the headgear must be worn so as to prevent eye damage (worn close to eyewear) not to cause eye damage (hat tilted back and bouncing brass into the eye area). If you jeopardize other people out of vanity, convenience or comfort, then you're wrong by any moral code I know of.

Also, I think the Spirit of the Game always applies. If not, then whats the point of SASS? I came to Colorado from the east with high hopes of associating with Westerners (with a decidedly capital "W") and when I went to my first Frontier Days type event found that I was apparently the only man in a crowd of thousands who owned a cowboy hat. There were henna tattoos and face-painting stands by the dozen. You could also get anything you wanted pierced and a t-shirt in any shade of tie-die...but I digress.

My point is that I judge people not by what they are, but what they aspire to be. I've found that a better measure of a person than the color of their skin or what they own or where they come from or even whether they wear a hat or not. If a shooter acts safe, uses safe equipment and good judgement he is halfway to being a human being in my book. If he goes the extra step and makes an effort within his means to make other people better off or more comfortable then he has earned a place at my table.

For those who didn't follow a previous post on illegal v. legal hats I'll quote myself, quoting my mother...

[...let me tell you a story about what you wear or don't wear.

When I was in elementary school in the 1960s my mother always forced me to wear a dress shirt, long pants and be what she deemed presentable for a trip to town (45 minutes away) for shopping a couple of times a month. We didn't have running water or a bathroom in the house, but she scrubbed me in a washtub if I needed it when I was too young to do it myself and cut my hair with scissors because we couldn't afford a barber. Generally, she did what she could to raise a man instead of a savage. One day I bucked up and said, "Why do we have to show off for those town people, why can't I just wear what I had on to hoe corn?"

She just looked at me for a minute and then said, "We aren't showing off for those people, we're showing respect for them. Thats what good people do, they make an effort to make other people feel comfortable."]

Aye Gawd chil'ren! Alli & Creeker, while you're both "new", you've both been doin' this long enough to know you're both right. I.e. penalties for muzzles above the berm, specifying a place Frontiersmen may charge cylinders, saying a line, etc. But, if the MD requires an action or start position with equipment not every shooter will have, (lasso the pig, open and stage the deringer, drop the dice in spitoon), the MD will provide said equipment.

Per Match Design Handbook, pg 3, Props:

4. Always have extra supplies of expendable prop media at the stages where they are used. Keep spare targets where they are readily available in the event of failure, and make sure someone knows where they are located and/or how to access them. Avoid special mechanical targets, where only one is available. If it can break, it ill.

5. If props such as aprons, overalls, and the like are required, make sure there are several sets available so the next shooter is fully prepared to engage the stage as soon as the prior shooter is finished and this shooter leaves the loading table.

It don't specifically say so, but a couple of sizes is good also, while a XXL might not represent an issue for an L, for a petite lady or Buckaroo/-ette, it could easily become a hazard.

I just want to thank everybody for there replys and SUPPORT, like I said in an earlier post it is suppose to be for fun and enjoyment. Some people enjoy wearing a hat, I don't It is not required acording to almost on here I guess when I go shoot next time we will see I don't know why a few still want to make the rules as they see fit I guess it must be important or I would not have gotten over 100 replys and over 1500 people read it Thanks again and shoot safe and have a good time

This is the 3rd or 4th thread in the past month about hats, wearing them, and what type (not counting any "how to make a new hat look old" threads).

They all seem to garner lots of interest and lively discussion. Almost as if the hat defines the "cowboy look." More than chaps, more than a bandanna, maybe even more than the boots - or at least equal to the boots. If you google "cowboy" and click on "images" you will be treated to many hundreds of images in which just about every male has on a 'cowboy hat' of some sort - usually something in a Stetson. And, as has been pointed out, in the period SASS covers it would be very rare for a man of any station to be outdoors without a hat. Almost as shocking as a lady in pants or with her white sewings on display. ;)

Oh man...I though "cabin fever" was almost over. We have got to find a cure for this.

Im pretty sure we have the rule book figured out, well, at least on the hat subject. Regardless of what certain peoples opinions on the hat matter is, at least we know what the rule book says. So now we are going to argue over how it looks?? Come on now.... Four pages of silly arguements? Im sure not everyone in the 1800's wore a hat. Button down collars, henley style shirts, proper attire? I hope those who have stated that it would only be "proper" to wear a hat never wear suspenders without wearing a vest. Since we are trying to dress appropriately, in the style of the 1800s.

Subdeacon Joe,

Probably already heard it, but, these threads always reminds me of the joke where the pretty, young tourist wanders into a local waterin' hole out in cattle country because she saw a horse tied up outside. Hoping to meet real live "cowboy", she's sorely disappointed when only other patron doesn't fit her eastern notion of a "cowboy". Hopin' she might still meet one, she approaches the dusty, leather-skinned gentleman and asks, "Sir, is that your horse outside?"

The horseman replies, "Yep."

The innocent asks, "May I ask what you do for a living?"

"I'se a cowboy," comes a drawled reply. "Why'd you ask?"

"Well, I hoped to meet a real cowboy," she responded. "But you don't seem to be dressed as I expected. Why you're not wearin' boots, or even a big Stetson."

The man paused a mite, looked down at his athletic shoes, then at the baseball cap on the bar by his elbow; and, in an incredulous tone asked, "why ever would I wanna look like a truck driver?"

"The truly unique aspect of Cowboy Action Shooting™ is the requirement placed on

authentic period or western screen dress. Each participant is required to adopt a shooting alias

appropriate to a character or profession of the late 19th century, or a Hollywood western star,

and develop a costume accordingly." From Page 1 of the SASS Handbook, Sixteenth Edistion, January 2010

I have had discussions recently at a few non cowboy shooting matches with people that were discussing cowboy action shooting. I feel that the statement above greatly overstates what is actually required for someone to participate in SASS matches. It makes it sound like you are required to do a lot more than shoot while wearing jeans and a long sleeved work shirt, as I have tried to explain several times to these prospective cowboy shooters. They point me back to the above statement everytime. I think we are scaring away some people who wouldn't mind dressing closer to the actual minimum requirements when they read right off the bat, "requirement placed on authentic period or western screen dress." They figure this means more along the lines of chaps, spurs, vests and everything else as opposed to being good to go with blue jeans and a work shirt. If you read further into the rules you will discover the actual requirements, but some prospective shooters don't get past the quoted statement that they find when they first start looking at the web site. I don't think it's helping. Smokin Gator

There are some folks who aren't into western or historical or period attire, but then why shoot SASS? Limit yourself to single action/historical-type guns but look modern?

Sasss has not grown as a shooting sport for the masses; it's grown as one about the old west, the 19th century-era shooting.

Why would it be objectionable, therefore, to wear clothing of the period?

I think the costuming is a vital part of SASS and is a reason it's grown. Where some folks aren't into it, most are.

Aunt Jen

Subdeacon Joe,

Probably already heard it, but, these threads always reminds me of the joke where the pretty, young tourist wanders into a local waterin' hole out in cattle country because she saw a horse tied up outside. Hoping to meet real live "cowboy", she's sorely disappointed when only other patron doesn't fit her eastern notion of a "cowboy". Hopin' she might still meet one, she approaches the dusty, leather-skinned gentleman and asks, "Sir, is that your horse outside?"

The horseman replies, "Yep."

The innocent asks, "May I ask what you do for a living?"

"I'se a cowboy," comes a drawled reply. "Why'd you ask?"

"Well, I hoped to meet a real cowboy," she responded. "But you don't seem to be dressed as I expected. Why you're not wearin' boots, or even a big Stetson."

The man paused a mite, looked down at his athletic shoes, then at the baseball cap on the bar by his elbow; and, in an incredulous tone asked, "why ever would I wanna look like a truck driver?"

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha... :lol: Good joke.

Aunt Jen

[...let me tell you a story about what you wear or don't wear.

When I was in elementary school in the 1960s my mother always forced me to wear a dress shirt, long pants and be what she deemed presentable for a trip to town (45 minutes away) for shopping a couple of times a month. We didn't have running water or a bathroom in the house, but she scrubbed me in a washtub if I needed it when I was too young to do it myself and cut my hair with scissors because we couldn't afford a barber. Generally, she did what she could to raise a man instead of a savage. One day I bucked up and said, "Why do we have to show off for those town people, why can't I just wear what I had on to hoe corn?"

She just looked at me for a minute and then said, "We aren't showing off for those people, we're showing respect for them. Thats what good people do, they make an effort to make other people feel comfortable."]

I saw this post before, in the other hat thread, and I have to say that I absolutely disagree with your Mother. No offense but there are plenty of us who aren't going to make ourselves uncomfortable just to make others comfortable. If that upsets some, then they need to get over themselves. I'm talking about life in general here because that is the context that your Mother used and this is the manner with which you are sharing with us.

My OPINION (not yelling, emphasizing) is that I bought a lot of gear, Stetson Gus hat included. I'm not going to harass someone because I don't like their hat, or lack of a hat. I will tease a friend, heck, I'll even be the first to make fun of myself. I joined SASS (all caps but I'm not yelling... I promise) because I like shooting SA revolvers, lever action rifles, scatter guns, and I horribly wish I was born healthy, in Texas, about 145 years ago. I like watching westerns... WOW, thats a lot of I(s)...

I'll keep this short (er). I think most cowboys would follow the ideology. who is going to throw the first stone. IMHO

Why don't we all go shoot, have fun, and share a smile and a laugh with a pard?

I do not care just what you wear

A hat made out of straw or bear

A floppy hat that's in your eyes

Or John Wayne hat I idolize

A derby hat is fine with me

I have one too. Look don't you see?

A hat of feathers is not bad

A railroad cap don't make me mad

A forage cap is just fine too

You do just what you want to do

Tom Mix or Clint or Steve McQueen

I like most hats that I have seen

But if you want to show up bare

I reckon I don't really care

Whatever lets you have some fun

But I'll wear mine in this dang sun

It keeps hot brass out of my collar

So I don't have to dance and holler

Some may think I look the fool

But I think cowboy hats are cool

This thread's gone on four four dang pages

A rant or two, a couple rages

I 'd like to stay and rant some too

But I've got better things to do.

:lol:

RHL,

I'm afraid you misunderstood the point of the story. My mother didn't dress me in clean pressed clothes out of fear that others might criticize, but out of respect for others. There is nothing wrong with removing your hat in a church even if you're an atheist, or wearing a tie for your cousins wedding even though you're more comfortable in a torn Metallica t-shirt. If you stand on your rights and wear the hat in church or the Metallica shirt to the wedding then no one in our family would criticize you, we'd just mentally note that you don't care much for the occaison or the other people attending the event. Anyone who approached the hat wearing Metallica fan and criticized him would fall into the same low category as the person being criticized...unless they hold parental priviledge. There are of course exceptions made for the mentally infirm and the poverty stricken.

Would you go to someones house and refuse to remove your shoes if asked to do so? You're perfectly within your rights to decline an invitation to enter under such conditions. But it would be wrong of you to criticize the homeowner for making the request. Equally wrong of the homeowner if he criticizes you for your decision not to enter. Better for both to just agree to disagree and part ways. I know it isn't a parallel example to the current subject, but it is the thought process I'm concerned with, not the result. Hat or no hat, shoes or no shoes; It's not really Good vs. Evil we're discussing here.

If you've ever read any of the books by Robert Heinlein then you'd recognize the principle of rubbing blue mud into the belly button...as long as it does no harm and makes others comfortable I say, "Bring on the blue mud!"

Cole Hart

aka

David Mullins

Lieutenant Colonel

US Army

If you've ever read any of the books by Robert Heinlein then you'd recognize the principle of rubbing blue mud into the belly button...as long as it does no harm and makes others comfortable I say, "Bring on the blue mud!"

Cole Hart

aka

David Mullins

Lieutenant Colonel

US Army

Brings to mind a time at Ren Faire in Novato years ago. Some young gentlemen, old enough to have known better, spent all day on Saturday wearing boots and tight pants, and had very nicely done Celtic designs on their red-head fair upper bodies. Sunday they had lovely, intricate white Celtic designs on almost glowing red torsos.

Joe,

I'd have payed the price of admission to see that. :D

Cole

There are some folks who aren't into western or historical or period attire, but then why shoot SASS? Limit yourself to single action/historical-type guns but look modern?

Sasss has not grown as a shooting sport for the masses; it's grown as one about the old west, the 19th century-era shooting.

Why would it be objectionable, therefore, to wear clothing of the period?

I think the costuming is a vital part of SASS and is a reason it's grown. Where some folks aren't into it, most are.

Aunt Jen

Is B-Western...Period??

This is a Fantasy Old West game...not a historical game. Participants play as they wish so long as it's legal.

So, other then SASS, how would one play the game of CAS if they didn't want to be completely made up in old west clothing?

Again, folks need to play the way they want to and let others do the same...so long as it's legal.

Phantom

:FlagAm:

I read half of page one and skipped pages 2&3. I was starting to get too riled up by some of the replies. Lloyd Bridges in High Noon does not wear a hat. Neither does Burt Reynolds in Gunsmoke. I don't always wear a hat. I'm always within the rules and I always look good! (imnsho)

I read half of page one and skipped pages 2&3. I was starting to get too riled up by some of the replies. Lloyd Bridges in High Noon does not wear a hat. Neither does Burt Reynolds in Gunsmoke. I don't always wear a hat. I'm always within the rules and I always look good! (imnsho)

:)

I never in any way thought I would get as may replies let alone in my favor.Over 2000 reads and 120 replies I guess I am not the only who thinks it is up to the individual on how they dress as long he it is within the guidelines

I never in any way thought I would get as may replies let alone in my favor.Over 2000 reads and 120 replies I guess I am not the only who thinks it is up to the individual on how they dress as long he it is within the guidelines

Now start a thread about using a single action as a ccw. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cole Hart

aka

David Mullins

Lieutenant Colonel

US Army

Yes, I grok the mud and the communal get-along that goes with it. I enjoy the melding. His books have taken me away on journeys so many wonderful times. And I'm also interested in other such things, as psychohistory, positronics, dark matter, dark energy, a history of time, Bourne, Jack Ryan, No-Name Joe, Calam Doris, and Sheriff Bart. ;) Gotta love 'em.

Garsh: I haven't thought of Lazarus in a long time.

Aunt Jen

Cole Hart

aka

David Mullins

Lieutenant Colonel

US Army

Yes, I grok the mud and the communal get-along that goes with it. I enjoy the melding. His books have taken me away on journeys so many wonderful times. And I'm also interested in other such things, as psychohistory, positronics, dark matter, dark energy, a history of time, Bourne, Jack Ryan, No-Name Joe, Calam Doris, and Sheriff Bart. ;) Gotta love 'em.

Garsh: I haven't thought of Lazarus in a long time.

Aunt Jen

My point is that I judge people not by what they are, but what they aspire to be. I've found that a better measure of a person than the color of their skin or what they own or where they come from or even whether they wear a hat or not. If a shooter acts safe, uses safe equipment and good judgement he is halfway to being a human being in my book. If he goes the extra step and makes an effort within his means to make other people better off or more comfortable then he has earned a place at my table.

You sure do talk perty, Cole. Or as Slim Pickens might have said, "...you talk pertier 'n a twenty dollar whore." He was a class act.

Seriously, your view is kind and considerate, and right, according to my way of thinking.

I think years ago I was more frivolous in my thinking, more shallow, if you will, and followed a view that had less to it. (Truly, just referring to myself in sharing, not referring to anyone else.) But as I age, I find myself feeling that life should matter more, that there's more to what is important than just my own experience, or what I have always thought, that folks through history have more depth than I'd ever guessed, as well as folks with other opinions.

You know the problem of younger folks who think that older folks' views are "out-dated" or "old fashioned"? Well, I've come to see that that's the process of life, that all of us--those who are younger and those who are older--are living through a span of time, and that it's natural to form patterns around things we experience through life. Thus when we have, the things we may like are not the current fad, later on, as our experience has been largely in the past. The process will always be so. And so, when younger folks are listening to their brand of popular music today, thinking it's hip, they may be surprised later in life to learn that newer generations think them old fashioned, when that time comes.

Then older folk hymns take on a new light. Then Glenn Miller or Benny Goodman. Then Brad Paisley. And ZZ Top.

Fashions that look goofy to newer/younger folks? All times have fashions, and they all may look goofy to young-uns of a different time.

I guess I'm referring to the blue mud. Or it could be anything.

Someone may not be into the hat thing, or the blue mud on the tummy, or any other idea of fashion or conformity or community. But, for me, with a deeper appreciation for the value other people put on such things, I find I can get into it and find happiness there, too, or even to just share the community of it and enjoy the happiness that others feel when we're in harmony.

On the hat? Well, for me, as I'm from a farm way back when, the hat just kind o' comes naturally. And as I age, well, it's also recommended by my dermatologist. ;)

Thank you for your posts, Cole Hart.

Aunt Jen

In any sport there are rules, and there are also expectations and conventions.

Any person should be able to compete if they follow the rules, and as the past three pages prove, there is no rule requiring that a competitor wear a hat.

If an individual chooses to go against the conventions and expectations of his fellow competitors, he should anticipate some comments. If you don't like the comments, wear a cowboy hat. If you enjoy being an individualist, endure the comments. I see it as a matter of individual choice.

It's just unrealistic to expect your fellow competitors to ignore the absence of a hat, since the extreme majority conform to that convention. A person can blend in, or stand out, as they choose.

Guest Pukin Dog, SASS#55356-Life

It is like my original post There are only a few people who seam to make a big deal out of all the little things It just takes all the fun out of it Most of the others say to have a safe and good time I am going to shoot in the pa state shoot this year and I just wanted to know ahead of time Like I said if it is in the rules I will do it BUT I am not going to do it just to keep 1or2 people happy If they don't like it don't look I am so glad you folks helped me out That is the way it should be Go shoot and EVERYBODY have a safe and good time without a few ruining it

Talk about ruining it for yourself because just a few people complained. Let me tell you, if a "few" people complained then a whole other bunch ain't liking it either but are too polite to say anything. Seems to me you want to shoot CAS but don't want to really dress cowboy. Sure you can do the absolute minimum but you aren't going to earn many friends that way. Having a guy, with no hat, jeans and a demin shirt and some scruffy work boots can sure take away the pleasure for other folks but obviously you could care less. I doubt I'd appreciate your presence on my posse with the attitude you have.

sorry if I sugur coated it too much.

When you look at the standards of everyday dress today, the over-riding consideration appears to be personal comfort. When I went to my sister-in-law's wedding several years ago, perhaps twenty percent of the men had ties. I was one of three men in a suit. My sis-in-law thanked me for that show of respect.

We have elevated our individual concerns above all others. I think the country was better when we took seriously the expectations of others.

I hate the way a cowboy hat feels on my head. I hated shelling out money for one. Just seemed to me part of the expectation. I'd never say anything to anyone who shot hatless, but I never say anything to people who leave their shopping carts in the lot without putting them in the cart return, either.

Cole Hart, your mother was truly a lady. She got it. I'm glad she passed it on.

Oy...

Again, if you're playing an Indian...you'd still feel they should wear a hat...?????

And again, you are pushing your views onto others...that are playing the game the way they want...legally. Bringing into the arguement the Decay of American Culture...?????

If it's so important to y'all...which it truly seems to be...why not put your money where your mouth is and start a drive to change the rules and make it a requirement to wear a hat?

:FlagAm:

:mellow: If you want to play the game with us then play the game the way it is meant to be played.

If you don’t want to wear a hat then pick a profession you can portray that would not always wear a hat, :) like a Bartender, Dr., Store Clerk, Undertaker, and start putting together your costume.

This is a game that we are playing and competing in, if you want inn your welcome, :D but come on in all the way don’t stand in the door and say I’m not going to dress like these guys and gals they look silly and I’m just not going to make a fool of myself. :blush:

If that’s what you are doing/thinking then go to some other shooting sport where you will feel more at ease. :)

If you are going to a state match then read the SASS part below. ;)

CLOTHING AND ACCOUTERMENTS

Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series.

SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the uniqueness of our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors. All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies, dances, etcetera.

ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how

it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television.

:mellow: If you want to play the game with us then play the game the way it is meant to be played.

If you don’t want to wear a hat then pick a profession you can portray that would not always wear a hat, :) like a Bartender, Dr., Store Clerk, Undertaker, and start putting together your costume.

This is a game that we are playing and competing in, if you want inn your welcome, :D but come on in all the way don’t stand in the door and say I’m not going to dress like these guys and gals they look silly and I’m just not going to make a fool of myself. :blush:

If that’s what you are doing/thinking then go to some other shooting sport where you will feel more at ease. :)

If you are going to a state match then read the SASS part below. ;)

CLOTHING AND ACCOUTERMENTS

Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series.

SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the uniqueness of our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors. All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies, dances, etcetera.

ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how

it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television.

Problem is maybe 10% of the shooters today, pick an alias and portray a character or profession from the period or B Western via their dress. Most just kinda dress period and use an alias that they just like-no character/profession intended. Others wear the minimum. According to your view of the world most of these folks are not playing the game the way it was meant to be played and you want them to change. Fat chance!

Maybe I should change my alias to Paul Bunyan and just wear work boots, a flannel shirt and jeans-no hat. Would sure be different than what I wear today at matches.

If a person is struggling with the rules or others to avoid wearing the period or western attire that is in the Handbook, then I wonder if they're really into what SASS is all about. SASS is not just a shooting sport. It's also a sport that gets into the period.

If someone wants to shoot but isn't into the clothing that comes with it, then I'm thinking there isn't a good fit between the sport and that person.

SASS costuming isn't a uniform, like they have in baseball or football. There is a lot of variation that fits perfectly well. As mentioned above, if you don't want to wear a hat, don't. The rules don't require it for most categories. Easy. Why is this a problem? Unless some people just want to make it a problem. Not everyone in the old west wore a hat, men or ladies. Pick a character or profession that didn't wear one, and dress accordingly. If you want a hat and don't want to wear it, then get one and put it on your gun cart. If you hate hats at all, then just forget it. Don't use one.

If you want simple clothes you can wear, later, to the grocery store without standing out, then find period clothes that also fit there, and wear them. Period pants, shirt... Dress them up with things for SASS, take other things off when you later go to the grocery store.

Period clothes are not uncomfortable. If you have pants and shirt and boots that fit, then what's the diff?

If you can't stand boot heels, as they're too high, then have a shoe-repair guy lower them, or just buy a pair that have low heels anyway, in the first place.

What's all this about?

I'm feeling some folks just have a control issue: "I don't want to be told what to wear." You're not being told what to wear in particular, as you could design any of thousands of different costumes/clothes to wear, just as people of the old west dressed differently. You can be a cowpoke, a banker, a bank robber, a rustler, a saloon hall girl, a newspaper publisher, a blacksmith, a jailer, a horse thief, a dandy from New York back east, a dentist, a politician, the town drunk, a grocery clerk, the mayor, a gambler.... Anything.

But part of what SASS is, indisputably, is a connection to the old west. For thousands of people who participate. Period clothing (or B-Western, etc.) is a major pat of it. You knew that when you joined. And when you signed up, you agreed to participate.

If we're all at a match, and some people show up with modern clothes, then it blows the period imagery for others.

If someone just wants to shoot and drop the whole period clothes issue, then SASS is not your sport.

Aunt Jen

If a person is struggling with the rules or others to avoid wearing the period or western attire that is in the Handbook, then I wonder if they're really into what SASS is all about. SASS is not just a shooting sport. It's also a sport that gets into the period.

If someone wants to shoot but isn't into the clothing that comes with it, then I'm thinking there isn't a good fit between the sport and that person.

SASS costuming isn't a uniform, like they have in baseball or football. There is a lot of variation that fits perfectly well. As mentioned above, if you don't want to wear a hat, don't. The rules don't require it for most categories. Easy. Why is this a problem? Unless some people just want to make it a problem. Not everyone in the old west wore a hat, men or ladies. Pick a character or profession that didn't wear one, and dress accordingly. If you want a hat and don't want to wear it, then get one and put it on your gun cart. If you hate hats at all, then just forget it. Don't use one.

If you want simple clothes you can wear, later, to the grocery store without standing out, then find period clothes that also fit there, and wear them. Period pants, shirt... Dress them up with things for SASS, take other things off when you later go to the grocery store.

Period clothes are not uncomfortable. If you have pants and shirt and boots that fit, then what's the diff?

If you can't stand boot heels, as they're too high, then have a shoe-repair guy lower them, or just buy a pair that have low heels anyway, in the first place.

What's all this about?

I'm feeling some folks just have a control issue: "I don't want to be told what to wear." You're not being told what to wear in particular, as you could design any of thousands of different costumes/clothes to wear, just as people of the old west dressed differently. You can be a cowpoke, a banker, a bank robber, a rustler, a saloon hall girl, a newspaper publisher, a blacksmith, a jailer, a horse thief, a dandy from New York back east, a dentist, a politician, the town drunk, a grocery clerk, the mayor, a gambler.... Anything.

But part of what SASS is, indisputably, is a connection to the old west. For thousands of people who participate. Period clothing (or B-Western, etc.) is a major pat of it. You knew that when you joined. And when you signed up, you agreed to participate.

If we're all at a match, and some people show up with modern clothes, then it blows the period imagery for others.

If someone just wants to shoot and drop the whole period clothes issue, then SASS is not your sport.

Aunt Jen

All this for a guy that doesn't want to wear a hat (reread the original post), seriously??? Lets get back to the basic question, do you have to wear a hat, yes or no. Hint--the answer is NO!

I just would like to know if it a SASS rule that states you must wear a hat I like to shoot but hate to wear a hat If it is required is there any other hats that can be worn instead of a cowboy hat I prefer no hat but if I have to what are my other options I am not trying to cause any problems I like to shoot more than dress up I do wear a button down shirt and jeans with work boots Thanks

:wacko: If you shoot a 66 or 73 your epties land on top of your head and that ain't no fun without a hat .

Woodfox :lol::lol:

Sure you can do the absolute minimum but you aren't going to earn many friends that way.

I would say that you will win, or not friends, by the way you conduct yourself. Hat or no hat.

;)

I would say that you will win, or not friends, by the way you conduct yourself. Hat or no hat.

;)

Well said - I'd like to think that most cowboys are not so shallow as to judge a man by

whether he is dressing to their peculiar standards.

There is this continuous need in some to project their values and judgments onto others,

not because it's the rules - but because it's how they FEEL the rules should be interpreted.

The whole debate is answered in an allegory:

One Sunday morning an old cowboy entered a church just before services were to begin. The old man and his clothes were spotlessly clean -- jeans, a denim shirt and boots, all worn and ragged. In his hand he carried a worn out old hat and an equally well-worn Bible.

The church he entered was in a very upscale and exclusive part of the city. It was the largest and most beautiful church the old cowboy had ever seen. The people of the congregation were all dressed with expensive clothes and jewelry.

As the cowboy took a seat, the others moved away from him. No one greeted, spoke to, or welcomed him. They were all appalled by his appearance and did not attempt to hide it.

As the old cowboy was leaving the church, the preacher approached him and asked the cowboy to do him a favor: "Before you come back here again, have a talk with God and ask him what he thinks would be appropriate attire for worship in church." The old cowboy assured the preacher he would.

The next Sunday, he showed back up for the services wearing the same old jeans, shirt, boots, and hat. Once again, he was completely shunned and ignored. The preacher approached the cowboy and said, "I thought I asked you to speak to God before you came back to our church."

"I did," replied the old cowboy. "If you spoke to God, what did He tell you the proper attire should be for worshipping here?" asked the preacher. "Well, sir, God told me that He didn't have a clue what I should wear.

He said He'd never been in this church."

I hope the OP still enjoys shooting with the cowboys who aren't judging him for not wearing a hat, and ignores the rest.

Shadow Catcher

Mite as well add onto this long list. Never wore a hat for 54 years, but now that i play cowboy i even wear a ball cap some times. The costume part is what got me into this sport,game, what ever you want to call it.

When i went to watch my first match and seen all the people dressed up and shootin old style guns i knew this was for me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just watch the Smile video on here thats what its all about.

Archived