SASS Wire Forum

Is a hat required

Coalman

:rolleyes: I have shot in many matches that required you to hold your hat in hand and put it on to start the clock or take it off and hang it up etc. But you'll be okay cause cowboy shooters always join in and help another fellow cowboy. Kind of Spirit of the game type thing.

Just a point to consider - The Match Director CANNOT penalize you by requiring you to do something with an object or prop that you are NOT required to have.

To "Require" you to hang up your hat - or take it off and replace it - or any of a myriad of other things that go with hatcentric starting positions is as silly as saying your REQUIRED starting position is "Hands in VEST pockets" or "Holstering your derringer".

Sure, some could comply with this direction, but having or wearing these items is not required and CANNOT be a condition of completing the stage.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether there is a rule or not, it is called cowboy action shooting. When I think of cowboys I think of hats. On the wall behind me I have a picture of my great grandfather. He owned and worked a lot of land in Western Kansas during the first part of the 20th Century. In his picture he is wearing a deerstalker hat. It was fashionable at the time. That said my favorite picture of my grandfather who inherited a lot of that Kansas ranch land has him wearing a western style wide brimmed hat. My uncle, and cousins all wore and wear western hats when moving cattle from pasture to pasture. One of my cousins wears a ball cap, but he is a cropduster and just a little crazy. I wear a cowboy hat to honor them. I would hope others would wear one to honor all of our western forebearers as well, but don't be shocked if someday I show up sporting a deerstalker hat to honor my great grandfather.

Well my grandfather broke much of 6 sections of Kansas prairie into farm land with a mule team-the other 6 sections was pasture for his cattle. I have many photos of him over the years and not a single one of him had him wearing a hat. He died when I was about 8 and I do not remember him ever wearing a hat. He was a real cowboy in my opinion, running about 1000 head of cattle. When my mother was growing up, he took the wagon to town pulled either by horses or mules, all 18 miles of it, 12 months of the year. I have one photo of him driving his mule team in the snow with a buffalo robe and a scarf over his head and ears. I wear a hat at cowboy matches to keep my bald head from getting sun burned. Trying to jawbone someone else into wearing a hat when not required by the rules is just plain stupid IMHO. If you really want a specific type of head gear be required then write it into the rules. If that happens the clothes zealots will have won and many will move on to a different sport.

If you really want a specific type of head gear be required then write it into the rules. If that happens the clothes zealots will have won and many will move on to a different sport.

I concur.

How about a Civil War kepi or forage cap? Quite common in the Old West. I do not understand your vehement refusal to wear a cowboy hat. The wider the brim, the better for safety reasons. If a piece of hot brass lands where you don't want it to, well it's conceivable the shooter could lose control of muzzle direction -- quite dangerous and could lead to a DQ. So the hat could be considered an important piece of safety equipment just like earplugs and glasses.

If I owned SASS, cowboy hats or other appropriate headgear would be required at least for male shooters, but I don't. You are free to remain hatless in defiance of our accepted norms and customs. A rebel. Maybe a gray kepi would fit (in more ways than one).

I do not know what you mean by a button down shirt? If you mean a button down collar, then yes I kinda got a problem with that. A modern button down collar shirt just don't look right at a CAS shoot. A chambray work shirt is not only cheaper but looks old west aplenty.

Combat boots refer only to MODERN combat boots, NOT Civil War cavalry boots which are entirely appropriate for our game.

If you would get with the program and wear a cowboy hat or kepi instead of bowing up so hard, just think what a more harmonious outcome you would have. Just sayin'....

Button down collars were made by the Brooks Bros in 1896. So its pre 1900's. Had someone tell me that you cant wear them, guess what, you can!! See photo. And thats according to Pale Wolf:)

Might be required for tilting at windmills.

I've always wanted a donkey so I could name it Hote. Then I could introduce my Donkey, Hote.

Creeker,

As you are new to this sport, you may not have learned that the Match Director can require you to do things that are not in SASS rules. If you've noticed PaleWolf has frequently said that the MD is the final authority. So, using all caps does not make things so. It is just yelling internet style.

Allie Mo

PS When I shot El Dorado (NV State match and club where you are now VP), the club president shot through the day before wearing shorts and tennis shoes. That is the most inappropriate attire I have ever seen at a CAS match. :rolleyes: So, I guess some people can do whatever they please.

Gold Canyon Kid,

My late uncle would disagree with the idea that anybody "running about 1000 head of cattle" on 12 sections is a cowboy. My uncle once told me that he didn't like to be called a cowboy because he ran over 1000 head on 13 sections. In his opinion he was a cattleman ^_^ The hired help were called cowboys.

I come back to my original thought, we call our sport cowboy action shooting. Cowboy hats are all part of the cowboy thing for most of us. I won't make a big deal if you don't wear a hat, but costuming is a really important part of the game for most of us. If you don't want to dress sort of western then there are lots of other shooting sports. In some you even have a chance to dress like a NASCAR driver.

The truly unique aspect of Cowboy Action Shooting™ is the requirement placed on authentic period or western screen dress. Each participant is required to adopt a shooting alias appropriate to a character or profession of the late 19th century, or a Hollywood western star, and develop a costume accordingly.
SHOOTERS HANDBOOK PAGE ONE

Reference in agreement with posts #54 & 58...we ain't all COWBOYS here...neither do the rules dictate that we follow "proper" Victorian customs.

:rolleyes:

:P

:ph34r:

3 pages now?? Seriously? :lol: :lol:

Got something against the Wild Bunch? ?

Gold Canyon Kid,

My late uncle would disagree with the idea that anybody "running about 1000 head of cattle" on 12 sections is a cowboy. My uncle once told me that he didn't like to be called a cowboy because he ran over 1000 head on 13 sections. In his opinion he was a cattleman ^_^ The hired help were called cowboys.

I come back to my original thought, we call our sport cowboy action shooting. Cowboy hats are all part of the cowboy thing for most of us. I won't make a big deal if you don't wear a hat, but costuming is a really important part of the game for most of us. If you don't want to dress sort of western then there are lots of other shooting sports. In some you even have a chance to dress like a NASCAR driver.

Got something against the Wild Bunch? ?

Oh NO! He's done played the Wild Bunch wild card!! :lol:

I just would like to know if it a SASS rule that states you must wear a hat I like to shoot but hate to wear a hat If it is required is there any other hats that can be worn instead of a cowboy hat I prefer no hat but if I have to what are my other options I am not trying to cause any problems I like to shoot more than dress up I do wear a button down shirt and jeans with work boots Thanks

Hi Coleman,

As indicated below in the Shooter's Handbook, costuming in Old West Style (or B-western, etc., or something like this), is part of what SASS is.

I don't see where a hat is required, generally, for most categories. If you don't want to wear one, then I guess don't. But I think that what you do wear should conform to the Handbook as without that, it detracts from others enjoyment of the game who are there for what SASS stands for. It's easy to find things that are comfortable yet still resembles the Old West.

In the Shooters Handbook,

"...all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television

series.

SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the

uniqueness of our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the

friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors.

All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be

costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies,

dances, et cetera.

ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how

it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television."

Good Luck,

Aunt Jen

SHOOTERS HANDBOOK PAGE ONE[/b]

Reference in agreement with posts #54 & 58...we ain't all COWBOYS here...neither do the rules dictate that we follow "proper" Victorian customs.

:rolleyes:

:P

:ph34r:

True, we ain't all cowboys, or cowgirls, here. But fairly period attire covers a lot of things. One could be a college professor, a rail-road executive, a miner, a harlet, a dandy, a blacksmith, a journalist, a school marm, or someone's prairie auntie (me), all without being a cowboy or cowgirl, and period attire can be found for each or any. :)

Aunt Jen

Creeker,

As you are new to this sport, you may not have learned that the Match Director can require you to do things that are not in SASS rules. If you've noticed PaleWolf has frequently said that the MD is the final authority. So, using all caps does not make things so. It is just yelling internet style.

Allie Mo

Hmm, news to me that I am "new" to this sport - I have been playing pretty regularly for the last 10 years.

And a SASS rules match CANNOT make you do or require anything that is contrary to SASS rules.

To do otherwise makes it not a SASS rules match - And I believe the thread was dealing with SASS rules.

Also as apparently you are new to typing and online forums, I was not using all caps - I was using a combination of upper case and lower case letters - the use of upper case letters when used on a single word does not indicate "Yelling" or a stuck shift key, it simply indicates emphasis.

PS When I shot El Dorado (NV State match and club where you are now VP), the club president shot through the day before wearing shorts and tennis shoes. That is the most inappropriate attire I have ever seen at a CAS match. :rolleyes: So, I guess some people can do whatever they please.

Really? I was not aware of this occurance.

But as you note, I am now the VP of this club (wasn't at the time you are referring to) and as of last year no one shoots on a non match day.

If someone needs to shoot through, they do so during the main match. My club follows all SASS rules.

Hmm......And a SASS rules match CANNOT make you do or require anything that is contrary to SASS rules.

Hi Creeker,

I think you and Allie Mo are talking about 2 different things:

She said, "...that the Match Director can require you to do things that are not in SASS rules."

You said, "...match CANNOT make you do or require anything that is contrary to SASS rules."

Not the same thing. MD can require you to do something not in SASS rules, as the rules may not cover every issue. Making you do something that is contrary to SASS rules is something else.

Enjoy

Aunt Jen

Hi Creeker,

I think you and Allie Mo are talking about 2 different things:

She said, "...that the Match Director can require you to do things that are not in SASS rules."

You said, "...match CANNOT make you do or require anything that is contrary to SASS rules."

Not the same thing. MD can require you to do something not in SASS rules, as the rules may not cover every issue. Making you do something that is contrary to SASS rules is something else.

Enjoy

Aunt Jen

Jen, you are absolutely correct.

But as a previous poster made note of a match where he was given "P's" for not having a hat to abide by the stage direction.

And another poster asked about stage starting positions that reference a hat...

I am simply pointing out that no matter how much a match director may want to issue penalties for this sort of thing, if they run a SASS rules match - they cannot.

Or to put it another way...

SASS rules do not say anything about blowing soap bubbles to begin the stage, a MD can require me to do so to begin the stage - He CANNOT (caps for emphasis) require me to bring my own.

Hmm, news to me that I am "new" to this sport - I have been playing pretty regularly for the last 10 years.

And a SASS rules match CANNOT make you do or require anything that is contrary to SASS rules.

To do otherwise makes it not a SASS rules match - And I believe the thread was dealing with SASS rules.

Also as apparently you are new to typing and online forums, I was not using all caps - I was using a combination of upper case and lower case letters - the use of upper case letters when used on a single word does not indicate "Yelling" or a stuck shift key, it simply indicates emphasis.

Really? I was not aware of this occurance.

But as you note, I am now the VP of this club (wasn't at the time you are referring to) and as of last year no one shoots on a non match day.

If someone needs to shoot through, they do so during the main match. My club follows all SASS rules.

Yes, Creeker, matches may vary from SASS rules. I cannot believe you do not know that Range Rules and Shooting Instructions can trump SASS rules and Stage Conventions. For example, SASS rules allow moving with a loaded SG. The SW Regional does not.

"Really?" Ask your club president or are you content to just imply I am a liar.

Allie Mo

PS I could be a newbie by some standards. However, your emhpasis is what I consider yelling.

Yes, Creeker, matches may vary from SASS rules. I cannot believe you do not know that Range Rules and Shooting Instructions can trump SASS rules and Stage Conventions. For example, SASS rules allow moving with a loaded SG. The SW Regional does not.

"Really?" Ask your club president or are you content to just imply I am a liar.

Allie Mo

PS I could be a newbie by some standards. However, your emhpasis is what I consider yelling.

Capitalizing letters in a word for emphasis is not YELLING. Capitalizing all the letters in a complete paragraph or post is considered YELLING. Seems like an internet junkie should know that!

Jen, you are absolutely correct.

But as a previous poster made note of a match where he was given "P's" for not having a hat to abide by the stage direction.

And another poster asked about stage starting positions that reference a hat...

I am simply pointing out that no matter how much a match director may want to issue penalties for this sort of thing, if they run a SASS rules match - they cannot.

Or to put it another way...

SASS rules do not say anything about blowing soap bubbles to begin the stage, a MD can require me to do so to begin the stage - He CANNOT (caps for emphasis) require me to bring my own.

Personally, if I had a stage where it was required that hands start from the brim of the hat, and if I didn't have a hat, I don't think there'd be any problem. I'd expect they'd just let me put my hands up to the sides of my head, and that'd probably be fine for them.

If there was a stage that required me to wave my hat goodbye the the bank robbers, before unloading on them, and if I didn't have a hat, I recon they'd let probably let me just wave my hand as if I had a hat in it.

It's no problem if someone doesn't want to wear a hat.

Aunt Jen

Hey, guys.

What's yelling to one may not be yelling to another, but lets not get angry with one another, okay?

SASS is supposed to be fun, to celebrate heritage. It's not possible for humans to be involved without a little conflict sometimes, but lets keep a lid on it, okay?

Or I'll have to stage DQ you. :angry: (Kidding)

Aunt Jen

Capitalizing letters in a word for emphasis is not YELLING. Capitalizing all the letters in a complete paragraph or post is considered YELLING. Seems like an internet junkie should know that!

Internet junkie? :unsure: Whatever.

In my experience, which I guess is minimal, folks who use all caps in a paragraph or post are new to the internet and do not know that it is considered yelling. People who use all caps in brief parts of their post are yelling those parts. Just my observation, however misguided it may be.

"The truly unique aspect of Cowboy Action Shooting™ is the requirement placed on

authentic period or western screen dress. Each participant is required to adopt a shooting alias

appropriate to a character or profession of the late 19th century, or a Hollywood western star,

and develop a costume accordingly." From Page 1 of the SASS Handbook, Sixteenth Edistion, January 2010

I have had discussions recently at a few non cowboy shooting matches with people that were discussing cowboy action shooting. I feel that the statement above greatly overstates what is actually required for someone to participate in SASS matches. It makes it sound like you are required to do a lot more than shoot while wearing jeans and a long sleeved work shirt, as I have tried to explain several times to these prospective cowboy shooters. They point me back to the above statement everytime. I think we are scaring away some people who wouldn't mind dressing closer to the actual minimum requirements when they read right off the bat, "requirement placed on authentic period or western screen dress." They figure this means more along the lines of chaps, spurs, vests and everything else as opposed to being good to go with blue jeans and a work shirt. If you read further into the rules you will discover the actual requirements, but some prospective shooters don't get past the quoted statement that they find when they first start looking at the web site. I don't think it's helping. Smokin Gator

My hat blew off on the trail!

LL'

I'll sell you mine fer cheap!:lol:

Waimea (aka Temporarily Hatless Hombre)

:FlagAm:

I'll sell you mine cheap!:lol:

Waimea (aka Temporarily Hatless Hombre)

:FlagAm:

I was waitin for you to chime in. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just want to thank everybody for there replys and SUPPORT, like I said in an earlier post it is suppose to be for fun and enjoyment. Some people enjoy wearing a hat, I don't It is not required acording to almost on here I guess when I go shoot next time we will see I don't know why a few still want to make the rules as they see fit I guess it must be important or I would not have gotten over 100 replys and over 1500 people read it Thanks again and shoot safe and have a good time

Button down collars were made by the Brooks Bros in 1896. So its pre 1900's. Had someone tell me that you cant wear them, guess what, you can!! See photo. And thats according to Pale Wolf:)

OK, LB I'll give you that button down collars are certainly legal just like going hatless. But to my eyes it just looks too modern for my tastes. YMMV. If it floats yer boat, fine. I just don't like to see it meowndangcurmudgeonlyself. To me, it's just a wee bit worse than going hatless. Kinda anti ambiance, if'n ye ask me. And, of course nobody did. Continue to march all ye rebels. I can only hope someday Coal Man will learn to enjoy wearing a cowboy hat for I feel it is indeed enjoyable. And you will find a shirt without collar buttons.

Archived