SASS Wire Forum

Is a hat required

Coalman

I just would like to know if it a SASS rule that states you must wear a hat I like to shoot but hate to wear a hat If it is required is there any other hats that can be worn instead of a cowboy hat I prefer no hat but if I have to what are my other options I am not trying to cause any problems I like to shoot more than dress up I do wear a button down shirt and jeans with work boots Thanks

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want Thank yous for the reply Is there anywhere that states that in writing The reason is when we go shooting a few people always seams to make a big deal out of it. I go to shoot and have a good time and always have the same few wanting to make a big deal about the hat. If it is necessary like I said earlier I would wear one but if it is not and I can find it in writing to show these few people I can get back to having a good time being comfortable and just shooting

We have only two costume categories, BW and CC. The rest requires only a minimum amount of cowboy clothing. Boots and hats are not mandatory in all the others.

Some folks just seem to like to spout off. Print out a copy of the shooters handbook, maybe the RO manuals too, take them with you next shoot, and when one of the bozo's gets on your case, pull out the books and ask politely for them to show you the rule.

Cowboy Dress is a Matter Of Personal Taste and Pride.Some Of The People In SASS Take Things and Them Selves a Little To Serious.My Main Idea Is To Shoot Safely and have Fun.Dress As Much as You can and Have Fun!!Life Is Too Short To Fuss Over The Little Things..:)

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I saw one person shooting without a hat and she had a case from the 73 slide right down between her eyebrow and glasses. It doesn't take long for a hot case to burn the thin eyelid skin.

the same thing happened to my daughter last year at the GBJL. First thing she did at the lunch break was buy a hat from a vendor

the same thing happened to my daughter last year at the GBJL. First thing she did at the lunch break was buy a hat from a vendor

A Certain Buxom Lady Using a 73' had a Hot One Go Down The Valley Of The Sisters.She Started War Hoopin and Handed Off Rifle To me.Cleared The Hot One Out and Finished The Stage-Clean!!Next Stage She had The hat On!! :o

bases and hulls have a mind of their own. I've had cases find their way into the small gap between the buttons on my shirt cuffs quite a few times. Also have found hulls in my shirt pocket after a stage.

Even though a western hat is not required probably 95% of SASS members wear them. I don't know your age but most of us grew up on cowboy movies so naturally we're gonna wear a cowboy hat if given the chance. And in the summer a hat dang sure provides some shelter from that lucky ole sun. ;) You won't find many pics of bareheaded gentlemen in the old west. A lot of folks are not accustomed to wearing hats these days but it's really pretty easy to get used to one.

You can carry the rule book with you but you can expect folks to still razz you some if you don't wear a hat. (unless your a big intimidating fella) :lol:

Actually there is this thing called "Spirit of the Game." 19th century working cowboys and stars of B and TV Westerns all wore hats which it what CAS is about.

What a bunch of crap. There are absolutely zero rules that require a hat of any kind except for BW and CC. Please show me otherwise. Spirit of the Game does not apply to hat wearing.

My hat acts as a safety device and a sunshade.

My rifle ejects the spent cases straight up, and they usually end up bouncing off my hat. I didn't realize that until I shot it one day without a hat. My hat also reminds me when the props are too low. If it wasn't for my hat, my head would have a few more dents in it.

The rulebook doesn't require me wear one, but I won't shoot (cowboy) without one.

Really, every actor, in every scene, in every western ALWAYS had a hat? No, they did not.

Unless the category specifically requires a hat, none is required.

If some old, bald, wimp who can not take a little sun has a problem with a bare head, tell him to go get some lead in his pencil and write himself a note.

Very Best Regards (and often hatless),

BJT

Actually there is this thing called "Spirit of the Game." 19th century working cowboys and stars of B and TV Westerns all wore hats which it what CAS is about.

Cowboy Dress is a Matter Of Personal Taste and Pride.Some Of The People In SASS Take Things and Them Selves a Little To Serious.My Main Idea Is To Shoot Safely and have Fun.Dress As Much as You can and Have Fun!!Life Is Too Short To Fuss Over The Little Things..:)

Ain't that the truth...!!!

You don't need to find the rule that allows you to go without one.

Just ask them to show you the rule the requires one. <_<

And that they will not be able to do. :unsure: (except for BW and CC)

That should shut them up.

Is a hat required? Clearly, as the above posts indicate, the answer is no. However, some food for thought:

"The truly unique aspect of Cowboy Action Shooting™ is the requirement placed on

authentic period or western screen dress. Each participant is required to adopt a shooting alias

appropriate to a character or profession of the late 19th century, or a Hollywood western star,

and develop a costume accordingly." From Page 1 of the SASS Handbook, Sixteenth Edistion, January 2010

"Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday

morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but

all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television

series.

SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the

uniqueness of our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the

friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors.

All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be

costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies,

dances, etcetera.

ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how

it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television." Id. Page 3.

I would assert that while the "Spirit of the Game" concept encourages complete participation, in reading the Handbook, it is intended more toward a sportsmanlike competitive spirit than mode of dress.

It seems to me that a person can come pretty close to many of the TV westerns simply by wearing cowboy style boots, even of the workboot variety, jeans and a workshirt. A hat does come in handy though. I didn't wear mine while observing over the weekend and my forehead is showing the result.

I guess I'm on the short straw of this poll...

The original OP said he liked to shoot but not wear a hat..

OK.. rules say you don't have to wear one...

Spirit of the Game is a little far fetched..(as if you were going to give a penalty for that) Don't think so..

It's just that our game of Cowboy Shootin' is kinda of the ways of the old west..

Kinda dress the part and play the part... a weekend off from reality..

To shoot you don't have to do it in CAS.. but we welcome all comers.. as should be...

there's many shooting sports that ya don't require a hat.. but I think ours welcomes one.

I just like folks to take part in our sport with the idea that they'll participate with the CAS frame of mind..

Again "Cowboy Hat".. not required but well liked..

Rance <_<

Just my thinkin' only

Oh yeah.. don't see many avatar pictures of our fellow cowpokes without hats.. that should give you a tip of the hat on how most folks feel... though not required.. :blush:

It is like my original post There are only a few people who seam to make a big deal out of all the little things It just takes all the fun out of it Most of the others say to have a safe and good time I am going to shoot in the pa state shoot this year and I just wanted to know ahead of time Like I said if it is in the rules I will do it BUT I am not going to do it just to keep 1or2 people happy If they don't like it don't look I am so glad you folks helped me out That is the way it should be Go shoot and EVERYBODY have a safe and good time without a few ruining it

I don't see one on the lady with you

I guess I'm on the short straw of this poll...

The original OP said he liked to shoot but not wear a hat..

OK.. rules say you don't have to wear one...

Spirit of the Game is a little far fetched..(as if you were going to give a penalty for that) Don't think so..

It's just that our game of Cowboy Shootin' is kinda of the ways of the old west..

Kinda dress the part and play the part... a weekend off from reality..

To shoot you don't have to do it in CAS.. but we welcome all comers.. as should be...

there's many shooting sports that ya don't require a hat.. but I think ours welcomes one.

I just like folks to take part in our sport with the idea that they'll participate with the CAS frame of mind..

Again "Cowboy Hat".. not required but well liked..

Rance <_<

Just my thinkin' only

Oh yeah.. don't see many avatar pictures of our fellow cowpokes without hats.. that should give you a tip of the hat on how most folks feel... though not required.. :blush:

I would wear one but if it is not and I can find it in writing to show these few people I can get back to having a good time being comfortable and just shooting

Here's what the HB says page 3, "typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series". So you can claim to be a store clerk, sod buster, town drunk...etc...etc. You could always add a little flavor to your costume like sleeve garters or a scarf or not, that's up to you. The question about boots comes up all the time, boots and hats are not required except for the two costume categories, B-Western and Classic Cowboy. Leather shoes will work just fine. We have folks that dress as train conductors, bartenders, farmers,...etc...etc...I dress as a townie, nice vest, pocket watch, scarf or tie, sleeve garters, and shoes. Good Luck

CLOTHING AND ACCOUTERMENTS

Cowboy Action Shooting is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series.

SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the uniqueness of our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors. All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies, dances, etcetera.

ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how

it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television.

Then there are the items that are outlawed, SH page 26

OUTLAWED

The use or presence of any outlawed item is a Stage Disqualification.

Modern shooting gloves.

Short sleeve shirts (Male competitors only)

Short sleeve tee shirts, long sleeve tee shirts, and tank tops for all competitors. Long

sleeved Henley type shirts with buttons are acceptable.

Modern feathered cowboy hats (Shady Bradys). Straw hats of traditional design (e.g.,

Stetson, Bailey, sombreros,) are acceptable.

Designer jeans

Ball caps

All types of athletic shoes or combat boots no matter the material from which they are

constructed.

Nylon, plastic, or Velcro accouterments.

The displaying of manufacturers, sponsors or team logos on apparel. Manufacturers

labels on such apparel or equipment are acceptable.

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I don't see one on the lady with you

Now it sounds like someone is wanting to argue & poke any kinda point.. I'm not..

just stating my feelings..

My wife wears a hat in probably 90% of her shoots.. but no.. she doesn't get her pictured taken with it on.. hope this helps.

Coalman, SS is correct. I'm assuming that you were never in the military and that you never played football in high school or little league baseball because those sports required you to wear a cap or helmet & in the military you sure better have a cover (military speak for hat or cap) on when you're outside. What's the big deal about not wearing a hat for a few hours one or two days a week? It won't kill you. But going without a hat could possibly kill you. A friend of mine is bald and his dermitologist told him that he has to wear a hat whenever he's outside because she was always having to remove skin cancer from his head and he could prevent it if he'd just wear a hat.

You are right I never played footbal or baseball and I never was in the milatary But the thing of it is why should I have to wear one just to make sombody happy I go shooting for my enjoyment not to dress just to please 1-2 people Like I said I should not have to just to please one or two people The same thing happened here as at the shoots 1-2 people say just wear it it wont kill you I am not going wear a hat just cause YOU think I should Just like one guy once told me if they give you a hard time about the hat What about the people who dress the old cival war uniforms from hat to boots It clearly states NO COMBAT BOOTS if you are in uniform and fighting a war they are combat boots The guy never said a other word about the hatLike I said if I have to I would but I am not just to please 1or 2 people Maybe it wont kill them not to look for am hour or 2

Coalman, SS is correct. I'm assuming that you were never in the military and that you never played football in high school or little league baseball because those sports required you to wear a cap or helmet & in the military you sure better have a cover (military speak for hat or cap) on when you're outside. What's the big deal about not wearing a hat for a few hours one or two days a week? It won't kill you. But going without a hat could possibly kill you. A friend of mine is bald and his dermitologist told him that he has to wear a hat whenever he's outside because she was always having to remove skin cancer from his head and he could prevent it if he'd just wear a hat.

Coalman, SS is correct. I'm assuming that you were never in the military and that you never played football in high school or little league baseball because those sports required you to wear a cap or helmet & in the military you sure better have a cover (military speak for hat or cap) on when you're outside.

We are neither in the military requiring cover nor participating in an organized sport which requires a cap or helmet.

YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED OR EXPECTED TO WEAR A HAT TO PLAY COWBOY (excepting certain categories).

If it is not a rule - it is your opinion and your opinion, while valuble to you carries no weight or authority.

If folks would stop the outright making up of rules, or trying to read something into rules that is not there - this game would be much more harmonious.

We see folks all the time trying to force others to abide with how they see our game. Wish they would just crawl under a log or somewhere else. Live with it. If a shooter is NOT shooting CC or B western he could show up in jeans, a flannel shirt and any kind of leather shoes even if they have lugs on the bottom unless they were athletic shoes or combat boots which are prohibited.

Most off you guys are exactly the people I enjoy shooting with it is that very few that ruin the fun on everybody Thanks again most of you guy are great as are 99% of the cowboys That was the exact reason why I wanted to see in writing it was ok But like it was said I will just tell them to show me where it says I must Everbody thanks for the input and shoot safe and have a good time Oh one more thing it is those very chosen few that are going to drive the newcomers away from the sport maybe they should go away and let everybody else have a good time

Most off you guys are exactly the people I enjoy shooting with it is that very few that ruin the fun on everybody Thanks again most of you guy are great as are 99% of the cowboys That was the exact reason why I wanted to see in writing it was ok But like it was said I will just tell them to show me where it says I must Everbody thanks for the input and shoot safe and have a good time Oh one more thing it is those very chosen few that are going to drive the newcomers away from the sport maybe they should go away and let everybody else have a good time

As you have noted, some of these clothing zealots (the kindest name I could think of) can really run folks off. Many years ago, when I went to about my third shoot while still getting all my gear, one of these zealots came up and demanded to know why I was not wearing suspenders. Told him I would be getting them first thing as soon as he showed me the exact rules for them so I made sure I did not purchase the wrong thing. He stammered and wandered off to bother someone else. I normally wear clothes that would pass most zealot inspections but there is no need to force my ideas on what is correct on anyone else. In this thread at least one poster even suggesting the dreaded "spirit of the game" violation since not wearing a hat violated his idea of the game. :ph34r:

First off, I choose to wear a cowboy hat. I might later try another type of hat, like a derby or a sombrero, if it seems like it might be fun. I might decide to dress up like a French tourist and wear a beret. I agree there are practical advantages to wearing a hat but since the rules don't require it, I don't know why we would impose it or even tease people about it. If a shooter wanted to wear a hat, they would. If they show up without one, I'd figure they didn't want to wear a hat, and that would be both the beginning and the end of it.

I happened to view the website of a SASS-affiliated club in another state. It said that a cowboy hat and boots were required. I suppose a local club COULD impose additional clothing rules not required by SASS but I wonder WHY they would. I suspect some of the "hat police" are simply misinformed.

Coalman, I'd be happy to shoot with you, hat or no.

Hey, maybe we could turn this inside-out. Run ads that your next match will be "topless" and maybe you'll get a huge turnout. Kind of like the "Happy Gizzard" episode of "The Beverly Hillbillies".

I worked for a guy once who never wore a hat while in uniform. Hats weren't required in our department except for formal occasions. We wore campaign hats.

I asked him once why he never wore a hat. Was it because he dio\dn't like them?

"No" he said, "I just look like an idiot with one on".

Turns out he was right. :lol:

Hats ain't fer everybody. ;) Personal choice I reckon.

And P.S.

Don't let anyone ruin shooting for you. Let it roll of yore back.

I normally wear clothes that would pass most zealot inspections but there is no need to force my ideas on what is correct on anyone else.

Howdy

I could not agree more.

No, nowhere is it stated that you must wear a hat.

Yes, most of us wear cowboy hats and enjoy wearing them. Yes, a broad brimmed hat will often protect you from a hot shell going down your shirt or behind your glasses, and it well help keep you from getting sunstroke or sunburn on your topknot, if you have as much hair left as many of us do. So it is always a good idea to wear a hat.

But if somebody tells you that you must wear one, they are making up their own rules. Only in the costume categories are hats required, and those categories are specific about what types of hats are required.

Even if you decide to wear a hat, as long as you are not in a specific costume categories, there are all kinds of hats that were worn in the 19th Century, and there is nothing wrong with wearing them. Top hats, derbies, newsboy's type caps are just a few.

The Spirit of the Game is about playing nicely. It is not about criticizing other shooters' costumes.

And some shooters seem to think that everybody should put as much effort into their costume as they do.

This is not historical re-enactment. It is a fantasy game, based on what most of us remember as kids at the movies and in the TV room.

The only type of hat you specifically must not wear is a ball cap. This would be any modern hat with a bill, whether actually with a baseball team insignia or not. The definition of Shady Brady's is so loose that there really is no good definition of them.

Modern feathered cowboy hats that look like you hit a pheasant while riding a motorcycle at 70mph, are also forbidden.

Like this:

Modern Feathered Cowboy Hat

P.S. Please don't get into the combat boots thing. That is specifically about modern combat boots with big, thick lug soles. Not about 19th Century cavalry boots.

The only reason I brought up the boot deal was there was a guy who spend a great deal of time and money in a cival war uniform and was giving me a hard time about the hat I was wearing ( I only put the cowboy hat on when I would shoot ) so another fella said ask him about the (combat) boots he was wearing and tell him you can show him in the rule book where it states no combat boots Well he wasn't to happy about it but I said its the same book he was reading and that was the way I interpreted it He went spomping off and never said another word

Howdy

I could not agree more.

No, nowhere is it stated that you must wear a hat.

Yes, most of us wear cowboy hats and enjoy wearing them. Yes, a broad brimmed hat will often protect you from a hot shell going down your shirt or behind your glasses, and it well help keep you from getting sunstroke or sunburn on your topknot, if you have as much hair left as many of us do. So it is always a good idea to wear a hat.

But if somebody tells you that you must wear one, they are making up their own rules. Only in the costume categories are hats required, and those categories are specific about what types of hats are required.

Even if you decide to wear a hat, as long as you are not in a specific costume categories, there are all kinds of hats that were worn in the 19th Century, and there is nothing wrong with wearing them. Top hats, derbies, newsboy's type caps are just a few.

The Spirit of the Game is about playing nicely. It is not about criticizing other shooters' costumes.

And some shooters seem to think that everybody should put as much effort into their costume as they do.

This is not historical re-enactment. It is a fantasy game, based on what most of us remember as kids at the movies and in the TV room.

The only type of hat you specifically must not wear is a ball cap. This would be any modern hat with a bill, whether actually with a baseball team insignia or not. The definition of Shady Brady's is so loose that there really is no good definition of them.

Modern feathered cowboy hats that look like you hit a pheasant while riding a motorcycle at 70mph, are also forbidden.

Like this:

Modern Feathered Cowboy Hat

P.S. Please don't get into the combat boots thing. That is specifically about modern combat boots with big, thick lug soles. Not about 19th Century cavalry boots.

Archived