SASS Wire Forum

To those who shoot Cap and Ball

Rube Burrows

I have not seen anyone at our range who actually shoots cap and ball so I have not been able to see it first hand. That leaves me curious. How does the loading take place and after shooting how does the clearing take place?

Caps are always applied at the loading table.

Powder and ball can be done at the gun cart in some venues. Other venues perfer the unloading table is used.

Unloading check is to verify all nipples are free of caps.

This is the funnest shooting you can do short of C&B Gunfighter.

Very Best Regards,

BJT

Talk to the match director about local procedures. Not every range handles this the same. Locally revolvers are charged with powder and ball (but not capped) at one's loading cart or at the unloading table. Capping is done at the loading table when one's rifle is loaded. Clearing is done at the unloading table by removing all spent caps and showing the nipples clear to the unloading officer. (You may have to explain the process to the unloading officer as they may not understand what you are doing.) Some other things to consider. Get a TO who understands how to handle a cap-only firing. Untrained TOs may call a squib and force you to ground the revolver. Also ask the match director how you will be allowed to clear an unfired cylinder. This happens often enough you need to have a procedure worked out in advance. (This is done at the firing line. How and when you are allowed back on the firing line is the issue.) Finally, find out where and how you will be allowed to clear you nipples before a match. Again, local procedures vary.

I load the first stage at home, cap at the loading table under supervision, and run the loading table when possible to charge cylinders between watching those loading. As discussed, check in first at the local range for accepted procedures. Cap only ignition is covered in the rules, print that portion, know it, and explain gently to those who don't. Our local Frontiersman caps on the clock as needed. Got an award recently for his 50th clean match!

CR

I work the unloading table if I can and charge the cylenders as each shooter shoots. Some shoots want you charging the cylinders at a table next to he stage you are shooting before you work the stage. Some have you charge at your gun cart, some till you just find a place to charge and watch any one smoking around you as you have a acident looking to happen. You always cap at the lading table when it is you turn load. If a round is to be loaded on the clock, you charge the cylinder when you charge the 5 for the stage and cap on the clock before you drop the hammer on a capped chamber. You never drop the hammer on a capped and charged cylinder untill all charged chambers are capped.

SINGLE ACTION SHOOTING SOCIETY

Shooters Handbook

SAFETY PRACTICES

FIRST, LAST, AND ALWAYS

If a particular stage requires a one shot reload, the sixth chamber of

percussion revolvers may be charged at the bench and then capped “on the clock”, either

before the first round is fired or after the last round is fired.

~22~

Copyright © Single Action Shooting Society, Inc 2011

Seventeenth Edition

COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING™

SASS Range Officer Training Course

~8~

Version K

FRONTIERSMAN CATEGORY

The Chief Range Officer shall be prepared for the unique problems associated with

cap and ball revolvers. These items include potential “hang-fires,” “cap only” ignition,

and a complete failure to fire. In a “cap only” ignition and failure to fire, the

Frontiersman should be allowed to continue firing the remaining chambers. The Range

Officer shall not confuse these occurrences as potential squib loads. Misfires on the

firing line by Frontiersman will require the Chief Range Officer to accommodate clearing

the gun after completing the stage. The Range Officer shall always require these

clearances be accomplished at the firing line. It is acceptable to recap and discharge the

still loaded chamber(s) or simply uncap the charged chambers.

~8~

Version K

Like Rick, I usually load the first set of rounds at home.

That way:

a--I can socialize when I get to the shoot rather than fuss with guns

b--If I have a problem with the gun, I can solve it the night before & not scramble around just before the shoot.

Like Pee Wee, during the shoot, I load at the unloading table between clearing other shooters guns.

It takes me 3-4 shooters & I'm ready for the next stage.

I have never attended a shoot that didn't allow this, but it would be just as easy to load at the shoot's "designated loading area" if they had one (ask the match director if at a new place to shoot)

If there is a lunch break, say after stage 3, I'll load up for the forth stage then.

If I know I will be running the timer, I position myself in the posse so that I can shoot, load, & run the timer without any hold-ups.

It's really pretty easy & flows pretty well.

--Dawg

Ball and charge at the cart, after getting the OK from the posse leader, cap at the loading table. I dont like to work the unloading table and charge/ball just to prevent distractions on my end for the same reason I tend to not have conversations while doing the same thing at the cart.

Clearing simply involves pulling the spent caps off the nipples and showing same. One thing I try to do is knock the remains of any spent caps off the unloading table just being polite.

...... another thing whilst we're at it ...... you ain't allowed to press the caps on tight by passing each capped nipple under the hammer and pressing the hammer forward on the caps. This is deemed an unsafe practice, and therefore ain't allowed. (it's in the rule book somewhere)

...... another thing whilst we're at it ...... you ain't allowed to press the caps on tight by passing each capped nipple under the hammer and pressing the hammer forward on the caps. This is deemed an unsafe practice, and therefore ain't allowed. (it's in the rule book somewhere)

Which I think is stupid, IMHO, what difference does it make what one pushes it on with. At least using the hammer the cap will be on SQUARE!!!! Of course there IS the spring involved. Oh bother.....

Knarley

Well I do mine a weeeeeeeeeeeee bit different.

After charging the cylinders out of the gun at the unloading table, I use a press. When charged I install the caps with my fingers and then leave the cylinders out of the gun until the loading table. At the loading table I put in the cylinders and seat the caps with my stick. At the unloading I show the unloading monitor that I only have 5 nipples and they all went bang. I have done this at several State level and above matches with no problems. I do ask the RO/MD if this method is OK with them answer Yep. Speeds up the loading table.Really helps when it is a small table.

Think about it this isn't any different than having a live cartridge

Jim

After charging the cylinders out of the gun at the unloading table, I use a press. When charged I install the caps with my fingers and then leave the cylinders out of the gun until the loading table. At the loading table I put in the cylinders and seat the caps with my stick. At the unloading I show the unloading monitor that I only have 5 nipples and they all went bang. I have done this at several State level and above matches with no problems. I do ask the RO/MD if this method is OK with them answer Yep. Speeds up the loading table.Really helps when it is a small table.

Jim

Are you saying you cap the charged cylinders at the ULT once they're loaded?

Jim

A dropped live cartridge that goes off will make a noise and send a little brass flying. The charged cylinder is like a small gun. The projectile is a bullet at lethal velocity, and a cylinder is much more likely to go off if capped and dropped. The rules are clear about NOT doing it your way.

CR

Jim

Per page 20 of the ROI manual:
29. All loading and unloading shall be conducted only in the designated areas.

NOTE: Percussion revolver shooters must exercise care to ensure they maintain safe muzzle direction during loading and have fired or cleared all caps prior to leaving the unloading area.

It is not permissible to seat percussion caps on a revolver’s nipple using the gun’s hammer.

Percussion revolvers may only be capped at the loading area or on the firing line.

What Cowboy Rick said.

Hey Jim:

Aside from being against the rules, that is exceedingly dangerous.

You probably would not carry a loaded, cocked revolver in your pocket/vest/bag/whatever.

That's exactly what you are doing carrying around a capped charged cylinder.

--Dawg

Well if ya think so. I know several State and Regional match directors that don't think so. I have heard it is done at Winter Range. Never been there so don't know. I really don't think ya got much of a barrel to get any valocity out of. The cylinders are not in the gun.

Just trying to help out.

Jim

Jim

Howdy Jim, the RO/MD may not really understand what you just said. They must be a thinkin yer only loading the cylinders, not capping them. Or they just don't understand the whole C&B thing, this is dead agin the rules and very unsafe. Please have another pow wow with them so everyone is on the same page. Best Regards,

Jefro :ph34r:

Well if ya think so. I know several State and Regional match directors that don't think so. I have heard it is done at Winter Range. Never been there so don't know. I really don't think ya got much of a barrel to get any valocity out of. The cylinders are not in the gun.

Just trying to help out.

Jim

Jim,

I've been shooting C&B revolvers in CAS since 1987. It's been against the rules from the first day I shot one. Surely it's simply a matter that the match directors you've talked to don't quite understand what you're doing. Two terms to remember: Charge - to place powder and ball in a chamber; Load - to cap said cylinder after charging. Charging may be done anywhere within local guidelines... Loading may only be done at the loading table or firing line.

From the 1989 SASS Handbook:

All loading and unloading will be conducted only in the designated areas.

Percussion revolver shooters may charge five cylinders with ball and powder away

from a loading area, but will "cap" only in the loading area.

I can't quote from the 1987 book... I just can't find mine anymore! But that should give you a good idea that the rule's been around a LONG time. Actually, I do remember an incident at the 1988 EOT. We were told that we couldn't charge away from the loading table... all charging and capping would be done at the loading table. Another of the rules stated that all muzzles would be pointed "DOWN" during loading. Not having a stand, I walked up, pulled my pistol outta the holster, laid it on the table... set out my balls, wads, powder measure and capper... proceeded to pick up my 1851 and set it on the table butt down... when the Loading Table Officer slapped the gun down flat and said, "... muzzles MUST be pointed down!" I then calmly asked him how I was going to pour my powder "UP" into the chamber and could he grant a reprieve from the laws of gravity for that short time needed? :P So, 1989 MIGHT just be the first time that rule appeared!

Which I think is stupid, IMHO, what difference does it make what one pushes it on with. At least using the hammer the cap will be on SQUARE!!!! Of course there IS the spring involved. Oh bother.....

Knarley

If you seat the cap with the hammer and the cap ignites, the ball will go thru the barrel with full power, producing the most dangerous type of accidental discharge. If you seat the cap when the chamber is not in line with the barrel and the cap ignites, the ball will pop out of the chamber at very low velocity. Undesirable, still gets you a match DQ, but at least it is a "safer" accident. Old Scout did the experiment years ago. It might still be on the "Brimstone Pistoleros" website.

Edit: I just checked, the article is still there, "Safe Capping of Percussion Revolvers". Good work. Wish Old Scout were still with us.

http://www.brimstonepistoleros.com/articles/capping.html

At my main club, we usually put the C&B shooters at the top of the shooting order. That way, they have plenty of time to recharge their cylinders while working the unloading table.

If you seat the cap with the hammer and the cap ignites, the ball will go thru the barrel with full power, producing the most dangerous type of accidental discharge. If you seat the cap when the chamber is not in line with the barrel and the cap ignites, the ball will pop out of the chamber at very low velocity. Undesirable, still gets you a match DQ, but at least it is a "safer" accident. Old Scout did the experiment years ago. It might still be on the "Brimstone Pistoleros" website.

Edit: I just checked, the article is still there, "Safe Capping of Percussion Revolvers". Good work. Wish Old Scout were still with us.

http://www.brimstonepistoleros.com/articles/capping.html

Thanks J-BAR,

Very good article. I believe the rules were written expecting the cylinder to be in the gun when capped. Until the loading press made the scene the cylinders were charged in the gun and left in the gun so the rule makes since to be done that way. I cap my cylinders out of the gun with my fingers and DO NOT push hard on the caps. The push stick is used after the cylinder is in the gun. When I see how hard some seat the caps I tend to get away. :unsure:

It really doesn't make me any difference if I cap at the load or unloading table. I just try and do the reload as soon as possible so I can help the posse. I also try and be one of the first shooters. That way my stuff is just not sitting around unattended

Now if it is raining no way will I try and cap in the rain. Been there done that, not good.

Have been doing it this way for 6 years and no complaints.

Thanks again,

Jim

Hi Rube,

I do things differently too. I am not strong enough to seat the balls. Hubby says he can barely do so. So, I have three sets of cylinders. Hubby loads them at home. I cap them at the loading table just before I shoot. So, I can only shoot three stage Plainsman Side Matches.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Rube,

I do things differently too. I am not strong enough to seat the balls. Hubby says he can barely do so. So, I have three sets of cylinders. Hubby loads them at home. I cap them at the loading table just before I shoot. So, I can only shoot three stage Plainsman Side Matches.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Allie Mo,

You might consider getting a loading press or make an extension to fit over the ramrod.

Are you using the right dia. balls for the cylinder. Even though Ruger suggest .457 for the Old Army I have found that .454 balls and bullets work great. Balls still shave off some of the lead. As the cylinder starts fouling the .457 gets really head to seat.

Jim

Thanks J-BAR,

Very good article. I believe the rules were written expecting the cylinder to be in the gun when capped. Until the loading press made the scene the cylinders were charged in the gun and left in the gun so the rule makes since to be done that way. I cap my cylinders out of the gun with my fingers and DO NOT push hard on the caps. The push stick is used after the cylinder is in the gun. When I see how hard some seat the caps I tend to get away. :unsure:

It really doesn't make me any difference if I cap at the load or unloading table. I just try and do the reload as soon as possible so I can help the posse. I also try and be one of the first shooters. That way my stuff is just not sitting around unattended

Now if it is raining no way will I try and cap in the rain. Been there done that, not good.

Thanks again,

Jim

Jim, pard, you are getting complaints now. Carrying a capped charged cylinder outside the gun is unsafe and a rule violation. Please don't endanger yourself and your posse mates by continuing to do it.

Allie Mo,

You might consider getting a loading press or make an extension to fit over the ramrod.

Are you using the right dia. balls for the cylinder. Even though Ruger suggest .457 for the Old Army I have found that .454 balls and bullets work great. Balls still shave off some of the lead. As the cylinder starts fouling the .457 gets really head to seat.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I don't remember why he has so much trouble with them... This is what they look like.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Jim,

I don't remember why he has so much trouble with them... This is what they look like.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Yea that short ramrod makes it hard to load. The 51/2" Old Armys are harder to load than the 71/2" for the same reason. Try putting a piece of steel tubing over the ramrod for more leverige.

Jim

Yea that short ramrod makes it hard to load. The 51/2" Old Armys are harder to load than the 71/2" for the same reason. Try putting a piece of steel tubing over the ramrod for more leverige.

Jim

A piece of 1/2" rubber tubing works just as well.

Jim, pard, you are getting complaints now. Carrying a capped charged cylinder outside the gun is unsafe and a rule violation. Please don't endanger yourself and your posse mates by continuing to do it.

+1

Hi Rube,

Regards,

Allie Mo

The chambers on the Pietta Marshalls are tight. Both of mine like .451 sized balls instead of the .454s. If he's having trouble loading them, it might be your ball size Allie. Of course, a piece of tubing over the lever would help too.

+1. That's what I use for my long loading levers as well as the short ones. Keeps the latch from digging into the palm of your hand.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Thanks J-BAR,

Thanks again,

Jim

YIPES!!! :angry:

Makes for a little cushion in the hand, but not much actual leverage... Most rubber tubing I've found, bends rather easily.

Alli,

Dick Dastardly makes a fine little bench loader, even tho' it's handle ain't much longer than the lever on those ROAs, it has a nice big round ball at the end; making loading on the seat of my cart a breeze, since I can get my center of gravity higher over it than over the gun on a loading table. Getting more weight over the rammer makes it quite easy. You might just ask 'im if he can make one with a longer arm on it also. "Tower of Power"

Jim,

On a lighter note; don't tell me you stoop to shootin' those suppository guns on account of a lil' rain? Say it just ain't so! :rolleyes:

Makes for a little cushion in the hand, but not much actual leverage... Most rubber tubing I've found, bends rather easily.

Alli,

Dick Dastardly makes a fine little bench loader, even tho' it's handle ain't much longer than the lever on those ROAs, it has a nice big round ball at the end; making loading on the seat of my cart a breeze, since I can get my center of gravity higher over it than over the gun on a loading table. Getting more weight over the rammer makes it quite easy. You might just ask 'im if he can make one with a longer arm on it also. "Tower of Power"

Jim,

On a lighter note; don't tell me you stoop to shootin' those suppository guns on account of a lil' rain? Say it just ain't so! :rolleyes:

Hey Griff,

No way would I not shoot them in the rain. If Josey Wales can do it so can I :)

I just try and load and cap them in a dry place. Like in the back of my Jeep if it is close enough. :rolleyes: I have shot in the rain and tried loading when the rain was pouring off of my hat onto the gun. :angry: Not a good time shooting Old Armys. Now ya know why all the old time shooters carried extra cylinders charged and caped :rolleyes:

Jim

I have been shooting C&B for 9 years. I have never been to a shoot that allows you to cap the cylinders anywhere but at the loaing table. It's a rule violation and safety issue. Even Eot and Winter Range. Whether the cylinder is in the frame or not it is considered a loaded weapon. If you drop that cylinder on a rock it will go off.

Your fooling yourself in thinking your "saving the posse time". I can cap and seat my cylinders almost as fast as someone loading cartridges. Just because you have been getting away with it doesn't make it right. Where we're from it's a match DQ period.

Ike

I have not seen anyone at our range who actually shoots cap and ball so I have not been able to see it first hand. That leaves me curious. How does the loading take place and after shooting how does the clearing take place?

With the RO’s permission, at the start of each day's shooting, I pop a cap on each nipple (no powder or ball in the gun) up on the firing line. Sometimes the RO will tell the posse what is going on sometime not. Popping caps will help clear oil or fouling out of the nipples.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the helpful tips. :wub: However, I don't have good luck suggesting anything to "gun boy." ;) As long as the cylinders are ready for me to cap, I'm happy. :)

Regards,

Allie Mo

Miss Alli,

It's all about presentation, tain't yer suggestion t'all, it's our'n. Why struggle when there's a better mousetrap! Was out yer way lasst week, weren't any shoots I saw between Modesto & Bakersfield this past weekend, so I wandered down to LA, loaded up and escaped back to TX! :rolleyes:

Archived