SASS Wire Forum

Triple compound disaster on a stage

Mack Hacker, #60477

Last month, at a monthly match, I had the misfortune of having two bad primers. I guess the odds of having a second would go up rapidly after the odds of the first failure, except....

The first was a CCI large pistol primer and the second was a Winchester 209!!!

Both primers were struck very well and failed to ignite after several tries, both on the clock and later(under controlled circumstances).

I was not very efficient dealing with either of these situations, but didn't realize how badly I handled them until the match results were posted on-line. The third whammy on this match was that I was shooting at the only club(that I know of) in this area that scores on Total Time. Ranks scoring would have placed me 18th(out of 42). With TT, I was 29th.

Oh well, I've always wanted to be able to make one of those postings about how _______ (fill in the blank) scoring screwed me out of something.

Well, there's always good news and bad news.....

I have a terrible habit (which I'm still trying to reform :rolleyes: ) of slingin' a live round out of my rifle (usually when I'm trying to go too fast). That's the bad news.....the good news is that I've gotten pretty proficient at loadin' one on the clock. :)

Bet the next time the SG fails to go "boom," you'll have it shucked and a new one in there purty quick.

Chick

Bet the next time the SG fails to go "boom," you'll have it shucked and a new one in there purty quick.

Chick

This doesn't get any better for me. When the SG didn't go off, I reopened it, closed it, pulled the trigger again, opened the gun again, pulled the shell out, stuck it in the other barrel, and tried again. All before noticing that the primer was the failure.

When the rifle didn't go off, I pulled the hammer back and tried it again before jacking it out and continuing.

Earlier in the match, I jacked a live round out of my 73. I quickly grabbed for a reload and noticed that I was shooting 32-20 and all my belt rounds were 45.

It was a day when my stage ranks varied from 8th to 38th.

Did ya shoot yourself? No....

Did ya shoot someone else? No...

Did ya break something that would be costly to fix? No...

Don't sound like much of a disaster at all to me.

Don't even get me started on rank scoring. :angry::wacko::blink:

I'm sure this has been pointed out before, but for the 1st 2 years I was in SASS, I thought the less you bathed the better your Rank Score.

When I had 2 failures to fire, I just reloaded new rounds because I'm just impatient. I think you still did fine. I'd love to place 29th of 42 WITHOUT any problems.

Shakey

This doesn't get any better for me. When the SG didn't go off, I reopened it, closed it, pulled the trigger again, opened the gun again, pulled the shell out, stuck it in the other barrel, and tried again. All before noticing that the primer was the failure.

When the rifle didn't go off, I pulled the hammer back and tried it again before jacking it out and continuing.

Earlier in the match, I jacked a live round out of my 73. I quickly grabbed for a reload and noticed that I was shooting 32-20 and all my belt rounds were 45.

It was a day when my stage ranks varied from 8th to 38th.

I suppose it's my military training, but if'n it don't go "boom" the first time, it ends up on the ground.....sometimes for the worse, but most times for the better. I don't see any problem with recocking the hammer on the rifle and trying again. It doesn't take long and the first strike may have seated the primer, allowing a "boom" on the second try. At any rate, trying to refire in that instance is quicker than a reload on the clock.

But SG? Uh-Uh....it ends up on the ground.

Now....as fer havin' 45's on ya and shootin' 32-20's.... :blush: I only load in one caliber, so I don't have that problem. I do load some "thumpers" with a larger projectile/powder load for plates but I don't mix calibers -- at least not yet. Only thing I can tell ya is one of them Army sayin's..........."The 6 P's" -- Prior Planning Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance. :)

In my very limited experience, that's a darn good habit to get into. I'd bet it will save you more time in the long run than it'll cost you. ;)

ive got one to about 5 yrs ago i went to a match got there found i had forgotten boots, kept getting dressed broke

buckle on gun belt ended up tying it on with spare shoelace it was a bit chilly that day so wore poncho, about third stage started with first pistol ponncho over left shoulder shoot rifle try to do my best clint eastwood imitation and flip poncho over right shoulder end up withponcho over my head couldnt stop laughining had 3 minute time for that

stage but did learn valubale lesson clint got retakes i i aint clint

gabby

Primers can be sensitive to storage issues such as temperature variations and humidity. If it were me, I would get some fresh primers for matches due to the investment in getting to/from matches and entry fees. I would use these other primers for this new fangled fad called practice.

Archived