SASS Wire Forum

'guests' on the Wire

Joe, that's different. Grizz 'n' BMC need teasin' same as me 'n' you. But not for our position or financial situation.

'Specially BMC. :lol:

I am a mumber but it is not easy. I am on a fixed income ,that being SS. I see how it would be easy to not be able to pay the dues.I just love this sport and most of the people on the wire and at the shoots.I think most of the guest try to help.Some try to sell on here and buy off the wire.I have said some things I sould not have said on here but the people forgave me.I love the cowboy way and most of the people play the game the cowboy way.Some dont. I have been hurt by thing that some mumbers have said and some have done.. but most of the time it get fixed and thats what I like about the people on here. I think that if a guest is all he can be then he should be welcome. I read alot on here as a guest before I joined.I really love most of the people on here and have not even meet most of them. Just my few cents

As a "New Guy" who is waiting on his badge and number to arrive, this is a side I have not seen here before.

One of the very most attractive things I have been drawn to (other than a chance to wear my duds and shoot in a more fun format) is the overwhelming sense of community. Yes, there is some fun poking and good natured ribbing and even some nastiness (with humor among friends)but nothing, until now, resembling directed degradation and incivility. Perhaps there is an underlying humor I am missing or a secret wink and nod I skipped past.

As I view it, supporting the SASS with paid membership means supporting their national efforts to promote, regulate and enhance the shooting experience through their regional and nationally sanctioned matches/events. For most, sending the check is as close as they will get to being nationally recognized. The local clubs and groups that shoot are the "Feeder Pools" for the Official SASS events and many who shoot locally may never shoot one of these events for what ever reason, but they work hard for their local and support with their time and efforts. This is not a sport done on the cheap and if what a person has to offer the sport is their efforts on a local level...I'd say "Thank You Pard for keeping the home light burning."

Of Course, what do I know...I'm the new guy.:)

Daniel, it is a community, and like most, it has a mix of different kinds of people.

Some are laid back and like to have a good time and make a joke out of most anything. Not because they don't take things seriously, but they just like to have fun.

You have others who may have a very rigid viewpoint and are quick to point it out when others don't agree with it.

Some are just jackasses. It's the truth, no way around it.

But most are good natured hard working folks who just love the cowboy game, they have their opinions but won't cram them down everyones throat just for fun. They realize that everyone enjoys the game in their own way.

On the wahr, and at your local clubs, just as in life, you have to identify the different types of folks and deal with them accordingly.

For what it's worth, I think I understand what and why GG asked what he did. I'm not a joiner by nature, but with SASS I lurked and looked and researched, determined not only that I got value from being a member, but also I wanted to support the SASS organization. Do I agree with everything SASS does? Nope. But to me, even though it was a stretch to scratch together that first membership fee, I chose to do so. With gas, ammo, and range fees, a years membership costs less than the cost of one match for me, it's worth it to me. And for folks who have been around a while and plan to stick with it, I'd think it would be for them as well, but we each must make our own decisions based on our wants, needs, desires, means, and circumstances.

SASS membership isn't required to shoot at most club's monthly matches, nor should it be. One thing that turned me off of another gun sport was that by the time you shot your third match you were required to be a member of the national club.

OK, I'll get off my soap box, I need to take the trash out.

Grizz

:lol: ~ no, this is not stirrin' the pot.....:unsure:

How come 'guests' on the Wire who have been participating on the Wire for over a year or so still haven't signed up to be members?

I know one fella who just signed up after some time...if he can, others can.;)

Just curious ...medical, guns, financial...etc...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Guests??? Where do you see that.. gosh I am so ADS.. lol

Look folks - this was just a curiousity and through the responses I guess a can of worms was exposed. Certainly not my intention. Anyway, for you folks that support the sport and are able to ante up and sustain a membership my hats off to ya. For those that can't at this time in life, yet have found the Wire to be enjoyable and participate in a kind manner, I guess my hats off to ya also... ;)

My pleasure. I saw the way you phrased your title and question as a friendly insult/challenge, not as anything mean spirited. And some real curiosity behind it.

Can it be sent in in two week installments? Does that include guns, ammo, leather gear, and travel expense? As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, with other things going on, that 55 bucks, plus the gear and such can be a crunch.

When I found this site I was looking for information on the ballistics of the 38-55, got helped with it, and found a few threads that I could make helpful comments on. And a lot of like minded people -history buffs, gun nuts, cooks, costumers to name a few. I've learned a few things and hope that I have been able to pass on helpful hints and information.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Here's an offer for you, you ask about 2 week installments, how about monthly? PM me your address, I'll send you $55 for an annual membership, and you can pay me back at $4.50/month for the next year.

How come 'guests' on the Wire who have been participating on the Wire for over a year or so still haven't signed up to be members?

Way back . . . I "visited the wire" a couple or more times. But I did not post until I was a member. I think I'd have been embarassed to do so. Just whut I did. I knew where I belonged . . . and so I sent my money and JOINED UP. :)

Hey Grizz

I understand what you are saying and on its face I too get the initial post of this as I believe it was meant. We have discussed the issue of "Lurkers/Guests" on my MensDailyForum many times as a means of getting a better idea of what the members could do to get more support from that group of participant.

Something I have heard locally (and read here) time and again "The WIRE is not the SASS" perhaps has a more defined ring now.

No wait...that ring was the toaster...my pop tart is done.

Y'all just enjoy this how ever you are able.

Mmmmmm ............Pop Tarts!

"The WIRE is not the SASS"

This is generally true, however, ask for help on the Wire and you'll have 20 suggestions in an hour. I've only come across a handful of nasty people in SASS, and those people don't count in the big scheme of things. Look for the good; ignore the bad.

Here's an offer for you, you ask about 2 week installments, how about monthly? PM me your address, I'll send you $55 for an annual membership, and you can pay me back at $4.50/month for the next year.

I have paid for a couple of members yearly membership when they were down and out. I asked them to return the favor to someone else when they were more flush. I know for a fact that one of the fellows did exactly that. What goes around comes around.

Quit being an asshole Bad Hand, if Joe doesn't want to or can't join then he doesn't have to, there is no requirement for him to join. He also doesn't have to justify it to you ether. Plus why would he want to join a group that has people like you who are just rude and disrespectful.

Dear Gunner,

I think it would be nice if everyone who shoots CAS or reads the Wire would join. However, when they do is their business. When they want to shoot a SASS-members-only match, they will join. :unsure:

Hubby didn't have any desire to join SASS (never read the Wire either). He just shot local matches and local annuals that didn't require membership. Finally, some of the locals bought him a membership and paid his way to Winter Range. He's been a member ever since.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Quit being an asshole Bad Hand, if Joe doesn't want to or can't join then he doesn't have to, there is no requirement for him to join. He also doesn't have to justify it to you ether. Plus why would he want to join a group that has people like you who are just rude and disrespectful.

I was thinking the same thing.

BH, you'd developed quite a nasty streak and like you, I've been around here quite a while. I don't remember that side of you back in the day, either. To tell the truth, it's gettin' to where I'm considering figgerin' out how to use the ignore feature on this thing.

Dear Gunner,

I think it would be nice if everyone who shoots CAS or reads the Wire would join. However, when they do is their business. When they want to shoot a SASS-members-only match, they will join. :unsure:

Hubby didn't have any desire to join SASS (never read the Wire either). He just shot local matches and local annuals that didn't require membership. Finally, some of the locals bought him a membership and paid his way to Winter Range. He's been a member ever since.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Thanks for your response Ms. Mo - again, as stated in my previous posts, I understand the 'it's their business' thing.

Sometimes when a person asks a certain question to me, I think about it and may even ask myself "hmmmm...why IS that so? "...

In this case: It's too bad that some folks feel this is an offensive thing to ask someone, but really, if that truly is the case...the problem isn't the one asking the question, but rather with the one offended by the question. ;)

Thanks for your response Ms. Mo - again, as stated in my previous posts, I understand the 'it's their business' thing.

Sometimes when a person asks a certain question to me, I think about it and may even ask myself "hmmmm...why IS that so? "...

In this case: It's too bad that some folks feel this is an offensive thing to ask someone, but really, if that truly is the case...the problem isn't the one asking the question, but rather with the one offended by the question. ;)

Could be the "Callin you out" line put a burr under some saddles. ;)

If I may chime in. I was a "Guest" until just recently. Technically, I suppose I still am since I am still awaiting my membership info, alias and SASS number to arrive. When I first joined the forum, I did so primarily to get information, to try to understand the sport a little more, and to get a feel for the people shooting. Being who I am, I couldn't remain silent on some issues, because I have this little part of me that has a difficult time sitting back and saying nothing when I see what I consider incorrect information, or worse, misinformation, being put forth. OK, make that a big part of me. This has gotten at least a couple of comments from a couple of members, who will remain nameless out of respect. On at least one occasion, I was called on the fact that I was a "Guest," suggesting it was tantamount to me coming into someone's home and disrespecting them. Of course, those comments didn't phase me. I shrugged them off as irrelevant. I feel SASS membership isn't mandatory to join and participate here. If it were, or if guest participation were limited in some way, then I would play by those rules instead.

So, why did I join? Well, as many here know, I have been getting closer and closer to actually being able to shoot a match, and look forward to it with some anticipation. At the point it became clear to me that I was getting to that point, and was, in fact, making a commitment to the sport, joining seemed the right thing to do. I make no judgments of those who can't or don't choose to join. In fact, some of the forum members I have the most respect for, and have learned the most from, are Guests. It would be a shame to limit their participation based on whether or not they have a SASS number.

For me, this is a community. A community of generally like-minded people, who share common interests. That doesn't mean we are all always pleasant and agreeable, and some are just disagreeable by nature or by the anonymity a keyboard allows them. However, it has been my experience that despite our differences, the vast majority who post here strike me as the sort of people I would want to ride the river with. Come to think of it, that is another reason I joined.

Could be the "Callin you out" line put a burr under some saddles. ;)

Maybe...but I did start my 1st post with a ':lol: '...

Guess some folks may already have a burr under their saddle to begin with....:P

Oh well...it's the internet :D

Dear Gunner, :wub:

As you are defending your right to ask the question, maybe you should take another look at the question. Notice the words I turned red. They seem accusatory to me.

Then look at the words I turned purple. They seem very private.

Sure folks can answer or not. However, your tone is what caused the negative responses.

Sincerely,

Allie Mo

PS Don't fret too much over the negatives. I think everyone who reads your posts knows you are a good man.

Dear Gunner, :wub:

As you are defending your right to ask the question, maybe you should take another look at the question. Notice the words I turned red. They seem accusatory to me.

Then look at the words I turned purple. They seem very private.

Sure folks can answer or not. However, your tone is what caused the negative responses.

Sincerely,

Allie Mo

PS Don't fret too much over the negatives. I think everyone who reads your posts knows you are a good man.

Thanks Ms. Mo ~ guess some folks see things, or should I say read into things, a bit different than I do.....maybe I should run for Congress :wacko:

As always, your explaination shows me my errors....I apologize -_- Though my tone was indeed interpretted falsely .

Thanks for your kindness and politness in pointing this out to me :)

G (humbled) G ~ :FlagAm:

Gunner

I will not say that your post was wrong in its intent; Growing the sport is always a goal and to that end knowing what would/could/might encourage someone to transition from "Guest" to "Member" is important. While membership is not mandatory to shoot locally, knowing variables that keep someone from making that next step can offer opportunities for promotions, "specials" or other incentives to overcome them.

A response or two certainly took what was likely well meant and press'd its ears back. Such responses undoubtedly killed any offerings from other "Guests" whose insights might have proven beneficial.

Doc, I am with you pard. I have been mining this forum and its contributors for every ounce of intel I can muster to get the best insight into the sport and the people that inhabit it. I have "experienced" a stage but still getting my gear together in baited anticipation of the day I shoot my first complete match. To have this forum and its inhabitants available has been invaluable in my choice to become an SASS member.

Thanks Ms. Mo ~ guess some folks see things, or should I say read into things, a bit different than I do.....maybe I should run for Congress :wacko:

As always, your explaination shows me my errors....I apologize -_- Though my tone was indeed interpretted falsely .

Thanks for your kindness and politness in pointing this out to me :)

G (humbled) G ~ :FlagAm:

Like I said you are a good man!

:wub:

Allie Mo

PS I've been tarred and feathered many times on the Wire. Now, I try not to let it bother me too much. ;) I've met so many good folks who've forgiven my transgressions...

G.G.,

Nothin' wrong with your post. The place some folks took it wasn't what you intended, nor were they right to do it. I probably got a little upset with where one fellow took it, but meant no offense to anyone.

You 'n' me 're okay!

Like I said you are a good man!

:wub:

Allie Mo

PS I've been tarred and feathered many times on the Wire.. ;)

And I've written the names down in my book of every varmint who did that to ya! :angry: :angry:

G.G.,

Nothin' wrong with your post. The place some folks took it wasn't what you intended, nor were they right to do it. I probably got a little upset with where one fellow took it, but meant no offense to anyone.

You 'n' me 're okay!

Thanks pard...alot...if I am going to be set straight it's gonna be by y'all SASS pards and pardettes (well...some of ya :lol: ).

If I may chime in. I was a "Guest" until just recently. Technically, I suppose I still am since I am still awaiting my membership info, alias and SASS number to arrive. When I first joined the forum, I did so primarily to get information, to try to understand the sport a little more, and to get a feel for the people shooting. Being who I am, I couldn't remain silent on some issues, because I have this little part of me that has a difficult time sitting back and saying nothing when I see what I consider incorrect information, or worse, misinformation, being put forth. OK, make that a big part of me. This has gotten at least a couple of comments from a couple of members, who will remain nameless out of respect. On at least one occasion, I was called on the fact that I was a "Guest," suggesting it was tantamount to me coming into someone's home and disrespecting them. Of course, those comments didn't phase me. I shrugged them off as irrelevant. I feel SASS membership isn't mandatory to join and participate here. If it were, or if guest participation were limited in some way, then I would play by those rules instead.

So, why did I join? Well, as many here know, I have been getting closer and closer to actually being able to shoot a match, and look forward to it with some anticipation. At the point it became clear to me that I was getting to that point, and was, in fact, making a commitment to the sport, joining seemed the right thing to do. I make no judgments of those who can't or don't choose to join. In fact, some of the forum members I have the most respect for, and have learned the most from, are Guests. It would be a shame to limit their participation based on whether or not they have a SASS number.

For me, this is a community. A community of generally like-minded people, who share common interests. That doesn't mean we are all always pleasant and agreeable, and some are just disagreeable by nature or by the anonymity a keyboard allows them. However, it has been my experience that despite our differences, the vast majority who post here strike me as the sort of people I would want to ride the river with. Come to think of it, that is another reason I joined.

Well said, Doc. :FlagAm:

Guests are always more welcome in The Saloon than the wire.

Bottles tells me they tip well. :lol:

Archived