SASS Wire Forum

'guests' on the Wire

:lol: ~ no, this is not stirrin' the pot.....:unsure:

How come 'guests' on the Wire who have been participating on the Wire for over a year or so still haven't signed up to be members?

I know one fella who just signed up after some time...if he can, others can.;)

Just curious ...medical, guns, financial...etc...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

WOW. :unsure:

That sounds a bit more personal than I'd wanna go into in a public setting and, to be perfectly honest, I don't see how it would be anybody's business.

But then again, I've been a Life member for over 10 years now, so you weren't asking me.

Personal preference I reckon.

Too little money (especially now) and not enough time (well, being unemployed, I guess I have the time, but sure don't have the money now, but time was a factor before). But when I started hanging around here, what with work, church, kids, SCA, and a few other things, I just didn't have the time. And even then, what with all the other activities, the cash would have been tight.

Gotta agree with my boy. Why or why not someone joins or doesn't join any organization is his business, not yours. If you were to call out someone by name - "Hey, One Dumb Shooter, why haven't you joined yet?" - he'd probably tell you to go micturate on a vertical lariat.

First off, if this question seemed personal, a person does not need to reply. Or they can simply say "It's personal"...no big deal.

To Subdeacon Joe- Thank you for your polite response.

To Alpo- I'll be happy to micturate on your rude post.

GG~USA Flag

The only thing that irks me with some guests (especially brand new ones) is if they start to tell us how SASS matches should be run, what the WB should do to improve things, complain about the rules, etc. I figure you should probably ante up if you want a voice.

Other than that, like I said, it's a personal choice and I don't put much stock in whether or not someone has a number.

The expense of SASS at $55 a year.

$4.50 month, that's one Starbucks coffee a month less

$1.05 a week, that's 1 convenience store coffee a week less

$0.15 a day, do you really believe you can't come up with $0.15 a day extra?

The only thing that irks me with some guests (especially brand new ones) is if they start to tell us how SASS matches should be run, what the WB should do to improve things, complain about the rules, etc. I figure you should probably ante up if you want a voice.

Other than that, like I said, it's a personal choice and I don't put much stock in whether or not someone has a number.

Funny - I find it the other way around. Guests mostly have a habit of being curious and inquisitive, so they will ask

why do it this way versus another. Most of the time (mind you - I said MOST), I find out that they're trying to

understand the underlying reason, and they hope it's other than "That's the way it is!". They want a reason why this

new strange thing is what it is . . . .

What I find intolerable is the busy body who thinks he knows more than others, and even invents his own rules at a whim,

because he's been around . . . It's down right rude when I've been doing this (maybe) longer, and (maybe) better, yet

still they have to explain to me what they KNOW to be TRUTH - doncha know. This mostly happens when you're a stranger

in a strange land . . . .

I like to help others - when they ask for it. I feel it's rude to project my opinion and recommendations onto others

until I'm asked. Guest's rarely tell me how to correct what I'm doing, although they may want to recommend doing things

in a way they are already comfortable with . . . .

Shadow Catcher

As for becoming a member and changing their registration - Given some of the things I've seen on the boards in the past,

I'd have a few issues about it too . . . . But I was a cowboy before SASS had a web site (I think), at least long before

I knew of it . . . .

As I mentioned in my previous post that if a person feels that this is a personal question, they need not reply. Just sayin'.

And unfortunately the (guests) that you've mentioned in your post don't have manners. (sometimes we members don't either) :)

Interesting thoughts pard.

GG~USA FLAG

To Subdeacon Joe- Thank you for your polite response.

GG~USA Flag

My pleasure. I saw the way you phrased your title and question as a friendly insult/challenge, not as anything mean spirited. And some real curiosity behind it.

The expense of SASS at $55 a year.

$4.50 month, that's one Starbucks coffee a month less

$1.05 a week, that's 1 convenience store coffee a week less

$0.15 a day, do you really believe you can't come up with $0.15 a day extra?

Can it be sent in in two week installments? Does that include guns, ammo, leather gear, and travel expense? As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, with other things going on, that 55 bucks, plus the gear and such can be a crunch.

When I found this site I was looking for information on the ballistics of the 38-55, got helped with it, and found a few threads that I could make helpful comments on. And a lot of like minded people -history buffs, gun nuts, cooks, costumers to name a few. I've learned a few things and hope that I have been able to pass on helpful hints and information.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Funny - I find it the other way around. Guests mostly have a habit of being curious and inquisitive, so they will ask

why do it this way versus another. Most of the time (mind you - I said MOST), I find out that they're trying to

understand the underlying reason, and they hope it's other than "That's the way it is!". They want a reason why this

new strange thing is what it is . . . .

What I find intolerable is the busy body who thinks he knows more than others, and even invents his own rules at a whim,

because he's been around . . . It's down right rude when I've been doing this (maybe) longer, and (maybe) better, yet

still they have to explain to me what they KNOW to be TRUTH - doncha know. This mostly happens when you're a stranger

in a strange land . . . .

I like to help others - when they ask for it. I feel it's rude to project my opinion and recommendations onto others

until I'm asked. Guest's rarely tell me how to correct what I'm doing, although they may want to recommend doing things

in a way they are already comfortable with . . . .

Shadow Catcher

As for becoming a member and changing their registration - Given some of the things I've seen on the boards in the past,

I'd have a few issues about it too . . . . But I was a cowboy before SASS had a web site (I think), at least long before

I knew of it . . . .

I was speaking of the few people who create ill feelings within a few minutes of joining the wire. I agree most of the gustst are well behaved. But so are most of the SASS members. Of the thousands registerd on the Wire only a relative handful get rude and pompous. Thank goodness.

My pleasure. I saw the way you phrased your title and question as a friendly insult/challenge, not as anything mean spirited. And some real curiosity behind it.

Can it be sent in in two week installments? Does that include guns, ammo, leather gear, and travel expense? As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, with other things going on, that 55 bucks, plus the gear and such can be a crunch.

When I found this site I was looking for information on the ballistics of the 38-55, got helped with it, and found a few threads that I could make helpful comments on. And a lot of like minded people -history buffs, gun nuts, cooks, costumers to name a few. I've learned a few things and hope that I have been able to pass on helpful hints and information.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

You couldn't come up with your gear in 8 yrs?

Not every one has a burning desire to shoot. As soon as I found out about SASS, nothing was going to keep me from shootin. Neither rain nor snow nor gloom of night nor lack of money. I was obsessed with it. Absolutely consumed. I schemed and scrimped and pinched pennies to get gear and guns.

But you have to have the need. You have to feel the compulsion.

Not everyone does and that's okay.

You couldn't come up with your gear in 8 yrs?

If I had dropped other things, yeah, I could have. Or if my wife hadn't been unemployed since late 07. Or even if I haven't been out of work for two years now (the county I'm in has close to 20% unemployment - and, yes, I'm applying for anything that I may be remotely qualified for - get a lot of "gee..you are over qualified" which means "we want a teen that we can pay minimum wage to." Hell, I'll take minimum wage! be happy to have it). I've been selling of guns for a few years now to make ends meet. And likely I would have sold off the leather gear before I sold some of the guns.

If I had dropped other things, yeah, I could have. Or if my wife hadn't been unemployed since late 07. Or even if I haven't been out of work for two years now (the county I'm in has close to 20% unemployment - and, yes, I'm applying for anything that I may be remotely qualified for - get a lot of "gee..you are over qualified" which means "we want a teen that we can pay minimum wage to." Hell, I'll take minimum wage! be happy to have it). I've been selling of guns for a few years now to make ends meet. And likely I would have sold off the leather gear before I sold some of the guns.

It's fortunate you are still able to afford internet service.

It's fortunate you are still able to afford internet service.

Yep...for now. It really helps with job searching, ya know? In fact, CA EDD required that I set up an account on their site so I could search, and hit it at least once a month (check it every morning for new listings - I suppose I could drive about 40 miles to the EDD office). Many companies, even small ones, have all their job postings online. It isn't a luxury.

I guess I'm also lucky my truck hasn't been repoed.

Or that I can eat more than rice and beans.

I give honest answers, and I get flak, and snooty sounding flak at that, for it. This is the first time I haven't felt welcome here, like somehow I'm not worthy, ya know? "You couldn't come up with your gear in 8 yrs?" real freaking friendly, isn't it. Well excuse me for having some things that I considered more important than doing CAS.

2,640 posts, been on the wire almost as long as I have but can't come up with the where with all to help support it. Can't afford to play the game, feel unwelcome because someone doesn't feel sorry for you. Suppose the best thing you can do would be put me on your "ignore" list then you won't be irritated by me.

oh, I learned how to do it right off, just learned a new term for it today.

Of course in 5 or 10 minutes I will have forgotten it.

LOOK! Something shiney!

Hey Grizz, you are talkin bout a rope......RIGHT ???? :unsure:

I get to shoot a lot. I vend at S.A.S.S. matches and am a member at three (soon to be four or five) clubs.

I can relate to SDJ's situation. I see many young shooters and more on fixed incomes who are no longer able to shoot regularly, and some who have had to drop out and sell their stuff to stay in their homes or keep their kids fed. It ain't a damn (sorry for the explitive) bit funny and to chide or tease someone for their situation is downright mean in my opinion. I have a good friend who recently had to sell all of his CAS equipment to make a couple more house notes.

SDJ has supported CAS and S.A.S.S. the best he could and to my knowledge has never teased or talked down to anyone here. The benefiet of the doubt is his as far as I'm concerned.

Let's just say that each of us has their opinion of how to support and participate, and should continue to do so to the best of their ability!! :FlagAm:

I do not intend to or wish to offend anyone.

Thanks, Blackwater. I do have to fess up to teasing my evil twin step-brother Grizz from time to time. As well as BMC.

I get to shoot a lot. I vend at S.A.S.S. matches and am a member at three (soon to be four or five) clubs.

I can relate to SDJ's situation. I see many young shooters and more on fixed incomes who are no longer able to shoot regularly, and some who have had to drop out and sell their stuff to stay in their homes or keep their kids fed. It ain't a damn (sorry for the explitive) bit funny and to chide or tease someone for their situation is downright mean in my opinion. I have a good friend who recently had to sell all of his CAS equipment to make a couple more house notes.

SDJ has supported CAS and S.A.S.S. the best he could and to my knowledge has never teased or talked down to anyone here. The benefiet of the doubt is his as far as I'm concerned.

Let's just say that each of us has their opinion of how to support and participate, and should continue to do so to the best of their ability!! :FlagAm:

I do not intend to or wish to offend anyone.

Archived