SASS Wire Forum

CA Bill AB 809

Subdeacon Joe

They don't get it. Some of them actually believe their own rhetoric. But really, it isn't so much about crime rates or safety, it's about making it harder to own, purchase guns. It's about undermining the 2nd Amendment, one increment at a time.

Yep.. and letters work... we need to send a message EVERY time..

I have a couple different letters saved on the 'puter. Everytime they try some new idiocy I tweak 'em a bit and send send 'em out again. Wonder if they're gettin' tired of hearing from me yet. :ph34r:

Just dusted them off and sent them again.

Deja, I've tried a couple of times with the different TV stations up here to get them to send someone out to a match. No luck so far. :angry:

Well I fully support these efforts to end violence in California. With the passage of these bills every citizen and condor will be safe and I'll be able to see the rainbows and butterflies from here. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Be sure you're an active member of the NRA, CRPA, and possibly the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF.) Participate!

One of my representatives whinged that the local chapter of the NRA "Has far more power than their numbers should have." There could be no higher praise.

We've beaten these dip-shlitzes time and time again. Hopefully, we'll continue to beat them. At least until I can get out of this hippy-festooned madhouse.

Be sure you're an active member of the NRA, CRPA, and possibly the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF.) Participate!

One of my representatives whinged that the local chapter of the NRA "Has far more power than their numbers should have." There could be no higher praise.

We've beaten these dip-shlitzes time and time again. Hopefully, we'll continue to beat them. At least until I can get out of this hippy-festooned madhouse.

Which is total BS - a few people whine that they are offended by something, and a law gets passed to outlaw it. 5000 NRA members call begging the capons to not pass more anti-civil rights laws like these and they get ignored. If we really did have that kind of power, CA would be either a 'shall issue' or a 'constitutional carry' state. And there would be no Roos/Roberti law in place.

They whine because they have to be exposed to ideas and facts that counter what they feel.

Which is total BS - a few people whine that they are offended by something, and a law gets passed to outlaw it. 5000 NRA members call begging the capons to not pass more anti-civil rights laws like these and they get ignored. If we really did have that kind of power, CA would be either a 'shall issue' or a 'constitutional carry' state. And there would be no Roos/Roberti law in place.

They whine because they have to be exposed to ideas and facts that counter what they feel.

Actually, Joe, the whole 'shall issue' or 'may issue' argument is a rather moot point. It has much more to do with the folks that are actually responsible for issuing the permits. You need 'shall issue' when you are dealing with folks in power that think that 'may issue' means that they should say, "No," until somebody makes them do otherwise.

Here in in the 'backward, backwoods wilds' of Alabama, our concealed carry permits ARE may issue as far as the State Constitution is concerned (Useless trivia: The Alabama Constitution is the longest constitution in the world at 310,000 words and 800 amendments). More specifically, it is left up to the County Sheriff to set the price and requirements for a permit that he issues at his discretion. That means, theoretically, that in just the state of Alabama there could be 67 different requirements for the same permit and you must get your permit in the county that you are a resident of.

In the real world, it's treated as 'shall issue' in all but name because unless the Sheriff has a good reason for denying you, you get your permit. Most counties charge you around $20, you fill out an application with references (but no fingerprints, cheek swabs, retinal scans, blood work, stool samples and such) and you get the permit in 1 to 2 weeks. My county (Lee) even sends out reminders and we can renew by mail if we wish. I never bother, I just swing by the Sheriff's department when I'm in Opelika and walk in since it only takes maybe 10 minutes if there's a line.

Actually, Joe, the whole 'shall issue' or 'may issue' argument is a rather moot point. It has much more to do with the folks that are actually responsible for issuing the permits. You need 'shall issue' when you are dealing with folks in power that think that 'may issue' means that they should say, "No," until somebody makes them do otherwise.

Here in in the 'backward, backwoods wilds' of Alabama, our concealed carry permits ARE may issue as far as the State Constitution is concerned (Useless trivia: The Alabama Constitution is the longest constitution in the world at 310,000 words and 800 amendments). More specifically, it is left up to the County Sheriff to set the price and requirements for a permit that he issues at his discretion. That means, theoretically, that in just the state of Alabama there could be 67 different requirements for the same permit and you must get your permit in the county that you are a resident of.

In the real world, it's treated as 'shall issue' in all but name because unless the Sheriff has a good reason for denying you, you get your permit. Most counties charge you around $20, you fill out an application with references (but no fingerprints, cheek swabs, retinal scans, blood work, stool samples and such) and you get the permit in 1 to 2 weeks. My county (Lee) even sends out reminders and we can renew by mail if we wish. I never bother, I just swing by the Sheriff's department when I'm in Opelika and walk in since it only takes maybe 10 minutes if there's a line.

That is what we have in the coastal areas and cities. The "chief LEO" makes the decision on who gets a CCW and who doesn't. Some counties don't issue at all. San Francisco, per the mayors office a few years ago, won't even recognize a CCW from another county. The sheriff in one county, Alpine, took to issuing CCWs to anyone who applied, even if they didn't live in Alpine. The CA Legislature got wind of that and changed the law so that the sheriff could only issue to residents of his county. I think the cost here is around $350. Plus the cost of the class.

Archived