SASS Wire Forum

Thoughts?

Dirty Dan Dawkins

If you are absolutely 100% sure you can live with it in the 450 configuration it might be a buy. However, if you have any thoughts of upgrading it to a 550, skip it and just buy a 550 in the first place.

If you are absolutely 100% sure you can live with it in the 450 configuration it might be a buy. However, if you have any thoughts of upgrading it to a 550, skip it and just buy a 550 in the first place.

That was my thought. The upgrade will make it the same expense as a new 550.

I heard caliber change is more of a booger than the 550. Likely this press will be set up and left for one caliber.

I still use a Dillon RL-450 I bought new about 30 years ago....

For my purposes it works flawlessly and I mostly use it now for .45 Colt BP rounds

for my CAS rifle, sizing/priming/expanding, then dippering the BP powder charges manually,

then returning to the press for bullet seating/crimping. Use a Lee Crimp die with it.

I occasionally re-tool it to load .45 ACP and .357 .41 and .44 Mag pistol ammo.

Ammo it turns out is flawless.

It won't turnout hundreds and hundreds of rounds an hour, but hell, It is plenty enough

machine for the shooting I do. It is "manual" enough that you have to to enough things

by hand so you don't run into primer/case/bullet feeding problems like you can have

with some of the later designs that do more of this automatically with each pull of the

handle.

I like the original "ball" knob on the handle too.

Only problem I ever had with it was the original .45 Colt shell plate wasn't quite

right and Dillon sent a new one free of charge, which fixed the problem.

I havn't had one squit of trouble with of any kind it since. Don't see any reason to

trade it or upgrade it or fix something that is not broke, or anything....

Hows this deal. Don't want to make a mistake.

For $200. Set up with Lee 45 ACP dies

Thanks.

One of the best deals going right now is the Dillon BL 550 for $260 + dies.

It will make good ammo very quickly and is completely upgradable to a full house 550B. You can do the upgrades a little at a time while enjoying the benefits of a new Dillon.

Check it out here:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25792/catid/1/BL_550_Basic_Loader

Olen

You can get a frame update if you need removable tool heads. Other than that, it's pretty much the same as a 550.

Archived