SASS Wire Forum

need barrel for a 97

I just bought a 97 with a 30" barrel. It was manufactured in 1928 and I don't want to cut it and runin

the value of the gun. I am going to buy another barrel and want to know what lengh to get for cowboy.

Thks for your help

19 to 22 inches works well for most.

Be advised that a new barrel can be fitted but it will not be easy and you need a good smith with the proper tools.

Plus, you will not be able to switch back and forth unless you get an entire front end assembly. Without that, a gunsmith would have to reinstall the old barrel. Sorry bout that but I tried the same thing and even found a replacement barrel. Ended up selling the extra barrel rather than mess with it.

But it can be done if you still want that, but I wanted to let you know of the limitations as far as I found.

The length is whatever you can find. Replacement barrels are hard to find and if yours is a takedown who ever changes the barrel has to know what they are doing to remove and replace the barrel collar without damaging it. They made over a million 97s. Unless yours is in collector condition, shortening the barrel isn't going to ruin the value. If it is in collector condition, the rigors of cowboy shooting, cart dings, etc., will ruin the value.

What I've heard, read elsewhere and here on the Wire, and in my own experience when looking to buy a 97 awhile back; 30 incher's are a bit harder to come by than shorter barrel lengths or previously shortened barrels. You may find someone willing to swap you a shorter barreled model plus some cash in exchange for your long barreled variant and come out ahead? It might be worth a try. In that way no barrels get chopped, you get what you want plus some and some other cowboy is extremely happy to boot. Kind of a win win for all concerned. Smithy.

Call because all barrels are not on their website ... http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/index.html

I searched for years for a pre 64 replacement SKB M500, 20 ga, set of tubes ... called and they had a set that was less than 100 numbers off the serial on the one I was trying to replace :D

If you think barrels are hard to find, try finding barrel extensions. If you don't have the right block (which costs around $100), just run your 4 x 4 over the gun a few times and then smack it a bit with a 12 lb. sledge.

This is one job that isn't diy.

Archived