SASS Wire Forum

Is the Mosin Nagant rifle

Guest Rio Grande Slim

Charlie, as far as I know there never was a Mosin Nagant made in .22 cal.

most Nagant's were chambered in the 7.62x53R, or 7.62X54R and the 7.92X57 mauser.

The R in the first two are because the catrage is rimmed like a 30/30. this calaber is about on par with the 30/30 om terms of power and ballistics. I have shot several of the 54R variants and they shoot well. although they kick like a mule in full military dress as the but plate is steel.

Badger,

I do believe there is a Mosin Nagant 22 lr trainer, google it, neat pictures but it is kinda rare, varmets? not sure...my Mosins are 7.62x54R, fun as the day is long and could handle any varment on the planet;)...........

Load em hot and heavy,

The Ornery One

Hpw long is the barrel?

Without measuring it since it in the back, it is purt near the same length as a 91/30 nagant rifle, just a few inches shorter as it will fit under the upper shelf of the safe and the 91/30 will not.

:wacko: I have the Moisin Nagant Carbine with the built in bayonet in 7.662x54R, ($85 @ Big 5!)and have to agree, without an add on pad it ain't a lot of fun to shoot. :wacko:

But is prettty darn accurate! :lol:

That's true but there is a look alike from Poland.

According to Terrence Lapin's book on the Mosin-Nagant, the Polish made 22 was made as a training rifle from 1948-58 at the Radom factory. Called the 5.56mm Sport Carbine M1948.

Although it closely resembles a Mosin-Nagant it is not of the Mosin-Nagant family.

It is a simplified version of the Polish karabinek sportowy wz. 1931(M1931 Sporting Carbine.

It was used as a training and sports rifle by paramilitary units, schools and clubs.

There's a WZ-48 .22 lagerin' out in my safe.... cute thing; fun and interesting.

But it has about the worst Gawd-awful trigger pull imaginable. But just keep drawin' back on it... she'll go off eventually~! ^_^

:wacko: I have the Moisin Nagant Carbine with the built in bayonet in 7.662x54R, ($85 @ Big 5!)and have to agree, without an add on pad it ain't a lot of fun to shoot. :wacko:

But is prettty darn accurate! :lol:

My Mosin M-38 carbine shooting surplus Hungarian heavy ball machine gun ammo is always a crowd pleaser at the range! It shoots a three foot fireball out the front that is visible in daylight while practically dislocating your shoulder.

The 91-30 rifle is much more pleasant to shoot. The real shooter among Mosins is the Finnish M-39. The Finns rebuilt 91's and 91-30's with heavy barrels, target stocks, and improved triggers. They are extremely accurate.

I don't have a .22 Mosin, but I know that some were made to use as trainers.

most Nagant's were chambered in the 7.62x53R, or 7.62X54R and the 7.92X57 mauser.

The R in the first two are because the catrage is rimmed like a 30/30. this calaber is about on par with the 30/30 om terms of power and ballistics. I have shot several of the 54R variants and they shoot well. although they kick like a mule in full military dress as the but plate is steel.

It's actually more powerful than the military loading of the 30/06....

The 7.62 x 54R is more comparable to the .30-06 Springfield cartridge than to the .30-30 Winchester. The fact that the Ruskies use this cartridge in their Maxim and GP Machine Guns and their Dagonov Sniper's rifle attests to it's effectiveness as a battle cartridge. The 7.62 x 39 AK-47 Round is comparable to the .30-30 Winchester though.

The 7.62x54R is a butt kicking round for both the shooter and the shootee. :lol:

I can personally attest to the power of this round...

Archived