SASS Wire Forum

Re-Think your sales position

Capt, didn't take me 10 SECONDS to figure out who you were talkin about, as he did the EXACT same thing to me. I TRY and be pleasant and all, there are a few things that get my goat RIGHT NOW. #1, the idiots with their pants around their ankles, and yes I DO tell them "pull em up, or get the hell out". #2, young people calling me "dude, chief, BRO, etc. One kid came in, on his cell phone, talking away with me in front of him, I finally walked away. When he finished he says "Hey, my man...." Thats as far as he got before I explained to him that I indeed was NOT his man, and to kindly leave my store. Now, if ya think thats how I said it.....well, it wasnt. My new favorite story is, about a month ago, I had 2 employees out sick, and my boy was takin Gramma to Kemo, so I was there alone. Had to be 10-12 people in the shop, and Im bouncin like a ping pong ball. Some guy walks up while Im showin a gun to someone else, and starts askin ODD questions about illegal guns and such. Then walks to my far right, and goes behind the counter to help himself to who knows what. My exact words..."You have 2 seconds to get back on the other side of the counter or I am going to shoot you in your FU*#ing HEAD". SHOCKINGLY....., he took offense to this, and on his way out the door, said the inevitable "I will NEVER come to this store again", to which I answered "good". Then he says, "And Im gonna tell all my friends not to either". To which I answered "If they are friends of yours, I doubt I'd want THEM in here". Guns are like cars, and shooting pool, all guys are an expert, and 99% dont know SH@# from shine ola. MArshall, sorry for the hijack

hud (I somehow feel better now)

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

After reading about them "UN"loaded guns, I'm pondering a putting clearing barrel outside of the front door of the shop.

Check this out-

http://www.firearms-safety.com/indexa.php

Mustang

Hud: You need a vacation.

But, I sympathise. I used to sell Randall knives and nothing bothered me more at gun shows than the fella who would pick up every knife, leave fingerprints on the blade and...if I was lucky...cut the bejaysus out of himself testing the edge. I ended up buying glass showcases.

I don't have much of a 'showroom' since I primarily have a shop. I don't get bangers, or impolite little F*ks in the shop. But, I feel for ya.

Hi Phil,

You were treated badly. However, I guess some of the gun dealers need a good rant too.

Customer service sure isn't what it used to be. When I worked, I loved shopping in Nordstrom as you could actually get help when you needed it without being treated like you might be a shoplifter. At some stores, if you ask where is something, you're lucky to get a finger pointing in a general direction. Luckily, some stores have aisle numbers and they might send you to the right one.

Hud, I've heard other frightening gun shop stories. Suicide by gun shop's gun, unloaded gun shooting things... So, I know your venting is earned.

What in he-- is up with a monthly match requiring pre-registration? I've never heard of that. It seems like a sure way to shrink the club. :rolleyes:

I worked alone in a retail store (clock sales and repair drop) for five years in the '70s. I learned to beware the full moon.

Take care folks,

Allie Mo

+1000

I CHOSE to get into business, a business related to my HOBBY (double danger), knowing full well that I would answer the same questions, tell the same stories over and over again.

PS: EVERY "clerk" should be put on incentive, so he becomes a salesman invested in the success of the store.

Heck, I chose to get into my business, too. If you own it- you probably chose it. I love talking to people about the things that I love to do- I still get a charge about doing a sports show be it Sheep, Elk, Tulsa Gun show, etc. etc. This year I'll probably do 10-15 if you count a few shoots. But, that doesn't mean that I CHOOSE to suffer idiots or rude people. In fact, I often choose to mess with them a bit.

Hud, if you have the cajones to throw out the ones you don't like, you have my vote any day.

At Tulsa a guy tried on 3 or 4 pieces and criticized each one with an idea about how he'd change it if it was his design. A friend of mine came in- old customer- and bought one for himself and his son while I left the guy standing there with a vest on. Eventually I asked if he was going to buy it or just model it for me, right in front of my customer. Customer started laughing and said, "King, you haven't changed a lick in 20 years."

He bought it. Sometimes you just got to "know" when to tap the trigger. B)

My old mentor used to say that the best, hardest- earned degree in business is when you're all in and then some. What most don't understand is that if you own your own deal there is no vacation.

Everyone thinks a business owner gets to come and go as/ when he pleases. The truth is that the freedom everyone thinks they see is the freedom to work 24/7/365 and get paid last. December 2011 is 30 years for me... never thought I'd outlast my old firm.... Lehman Bros. And we just re-invented ourselves in 2008.

Probably time to buy a toy hauler and go on 'vacation'. :D Let's see... in May there's Comancheria Days.... June there's that thing in NM. :ph34r:

Hud: You need a vacation.

But, I sympathise. I used to sell Randall knives and nothing bothered me more at gun shows than the fella who would pick up every knife, leave fingerprints on the blade and...if I was lucky...cut the bejaysus out of himself testing the edge. I ended up buying glass showcases.

I don't have much of a 'showroom' since I primarily have a shop. I don't get bangers, or impolite little F*ks in the shop. But, I feel for ya.

Your right, but who can afford gas to get anywhere? BK, thanks, I sell a couple thousand a year, so I can and DO throw people out on occasion. I still enjoy my job, I must Im there 6 days a week. I used to have a theory, 90% of the people that came in were good intellegent folks, but that 10% idiot ratio are the ones you go home thinkin about. Sadly, in todays world its more a 50-50

hud (who's at least goin to 5 Dogs in 2 weeks)

Thanks for all the replys. Good reading here.

I have been in Huds shop when some of these folks were there. And to be honest I FIRST thought Hud was being a little too harsh. The more I thought about the situation, the more I felt Hud did the right thing, and as a matter of fact, I wish I could do the same thing. Some folks just need to be booted out.

I wish you could point the unloaded firearm at the owner and pull the trigger. Then the owners might REALLY check for a loaded round in the chamber.

Hud, I remember asking some dumbace questions before in your shop. Sorry. And thanks for not throwing me out. ;)

Allie, this shoot is not a monthly, it is thier BIG annual event. Only 20+ shooters signed up so far. And no I haven't called to find out if they would accept a walk in or two. Maybe this thread will change the message on their website.

Archived