SASS Wire Forum

Re-Think your sales position

In these times of people being careful with their spending, I would think most businesses would re-think their positions on sales and customer service.

Example; I was on a business trip to another state. On the weekend I found a gun shop and went in to look. I saw a rifle there with the exact stock I have been wanting for a long time, I have NEVER seen it and wanted to take a close look at it before investing hundereds of dollars.

I asked the sales person if I could look at it, he asked if I was going to buy it. I explained about the stock, his response was basically, "If you aren't going to buy it, I'm not taking it off the shelf". Granted it would have taken a few minutes of his time, and he was busy, the kicker is he had another stock sittin right next to the rifle. I just might have purchased the stock if he wasn't such a jerk.

Another one, I just saw a shoot, locally, I thought my nephew and I would enjoy this shoot. Since I have been gone for two weeks, I didn't get a chance to sign up. (I wasn't sure until yesterday we could even do this shoot). Now this is NOT a big shoot, but it is a weekend deal. I got online, looked at thier web site, and it says NO ON SITE REGISTRATION. If I put a check in the mail, they will not get it in time. So I don't get to shoot there, and they don't get my money. Seems kind of silly to me. I would think most clubs would and should welcome shooters who show up anytime, especialy a smaller club.

Another one, I just saw a shoot, locally, I thought my nephew and I would enjoy this shoot. Since I have been gone for two weeks, I didn't get a chance to sign up. (I wasn't sure until yesterday we could even do this shoot). Now this is NOT a big shoot, but it is a weekend deal. I got online, looked at thier web site, and it says NO ON SITE REGISTRATION. If I put a check in the mail, they will not get it in time. So I don't get to shoot there, and they don't get my money. Seems kind of silly to me. I would think most clubs would and should welcome shooters who show up anytime, especialy a smaller club.

Wow. I guess they've got their reasons. Maybe don't have enough folks to deal with all the other match duties AND handle registrations. But even then, I'd sure try to make arrangements for anybody that wanted to come shoot at the last minute. I just can't imagine turning folks away that want to join us and are willing to pay for it.

That's plum loco, at least it is to me. I tend to travel some, glad I have not come across that one!

[quote name='Marshal Phil DeGrave SASS #55202' timestamp='1302623381' post='2160850'

I asked the sales person if I could look at it, he asked if I was going to buy it. I explained about the stock, his response was basically, "If you aren't going to buy it, I'm not taking it off the shelf". Granted it would have taken a few minutes of his time, and he was busy....

My reply would probably have been "Well, I'm sure NOT going to buy it without a chance to look it over good. Maybe you better decide if you want to SELL it before we go any further. I do have cash (or plastic) burning a hole in my pocket right now."

Good luck, GJ

Ask to see the shop owner. I'd fire an employee who took business away from me.

On the other hand.....if he was the owner, find another shop.

Been there with a Gun Shop in Branson Mo. He first asked if I was from Mo. I told him no, I'm from Texas. "You can't buy any gun here" was his reply then walked off. I guess he never heard of shipping and transfers!

Second point about signing up at the shoot: That happened to me last June at a Pretty Large Match in a Desert State between Texas an Arizona. I called to see If I could show up and pay the $225 and shoot, was told "NO, Next Question" by someone who's a really "High Up' person involved with the shoot. I finally got ahold of another High up and was asked "Are You Here Yet" "come on what's the hold up" I guess the first HU thought they had enough $$ already!

I ran into the same thing many years ago. Never went back to that shop. It's like asking somebody if they want to buy the car before they can drive it. Or, "we have to pass this bill so we can see what's in it." Incredible! Squint

Exactly.

Been there with a Gun Shop in Branson Mo. He first asked if I was from Mo. I told him no, I'm from Texas. "You can't buy any gun here" was his reply then walked off. I guess he never heard of shipping and transfers!

Second point about signing up at the shoot: That happened to me last June at a Pretty Large Match in a Desert State between Texas an Arizona. I called to see If I could show up and pay the $225 and shoot, was told "NO, Next Question" by someone who's a really "High Up' person involved with the shoot. I finally got ahold of another High up and was asked "Are You Here Yet" "come on what's the hold up" I guess the first HU thought they had enough $$ already!

Did you happen to mention the first "HU" to the second "HU"? Sometimes it's simply a matter of mis-information and the first person needs to be better informed.

Or they could just be a jerk. I've met them too. :(

It's been my considered opinion for a long time that folks who get involved in the gun business often do so because they like guns, not because they like working retail. Many LGS owners are their own worst enemy, lacking in any people skills or business sense. Whats worse, they often hire "gun shop groupies" who like guns but know nothing of retail to work for em.

if they REALLY had somethin ya been wanting a LOOONNNNNNGGGG time, I suppose ya coulda worked around the surley bit somehow and grudgingly paid em to take their merchendise away, but voting with yer feet is the only real answer to "fix" the problem. We've lost 5 or 6 gun shops in two local counties over the last 15 years, and not a one of em was "people" people. The ONE local outfit that has thrived and grown over that time is run by some of the friendliest folks alive.

"Folks can sign up and pay right up until that first shot goes downrange."

My position is until the last shot of the first stage goes down range. Even then I might just have them jump in and register later.

What he said.

If he'd worked for me (either as a direct employee or an employee under my management) he woulda lived through one of my Grandfather's favorite sayings because I'd make sure that, "His replacement won't treat you like that."

Did you happen to mention the first "HU" to the second "HU"? Sometimes it's simply a matter of mis-information and the first person needs to be better informed.

Or they could just be a jerk. I've met them too. :(

Yes, all the other HU's knew about it and a couple of them told me Sorry!

On the subject of late entries, another gunsport had develpoed (amongst some competitors) a habit of registering noting that they will pay on the day. Basically they were reserving a position IN CASE they happened to show up.

One club registra sent back any application form that did not have payment included stating "no pay no play" ............ put a few noses out of joint. :)

Event organisers do need to know about how many are comming so that catering and posse assignments are adequate, a few extras isn't too much of a problem but if 50 extras show up at sign-up who decides who dosen't get lunch ? :unsure:

Even at our monthly shoots, the rules are "mandatory safety meeting" and registration closes 15 minutes before the meeting. That's very simply because the ladies that register folks shoot as well, and they need to get the posse books to the ROs, and get themselves ready to shoot.

But "no reg on day of shoot" seems a little harsh for a small shoot, IMHO. If a monthly can register 50-100 shooters in an hour's time......

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I had a less than enjoyable experience at a local store where I had already purchased several guns. I stopped by to look at a 22 lever action but decided that it wasnt in the budget and handed it back to the kid behind the counter. He commented: "you cowboy shooters are a cheap bunch". I looked at the owner and he didnt say anything. So I commented back "Fine, I dont need to spend my money here anymore " and never went back. They are out of business now, I wonder why?

On the subject of late entries, another gunsport had develpoed (amongst some competitors) a habit of registering noting that they will pay on the day. Basically they were reserving a position IN CASE they happened to show up.

One club registra sent back any application form that did not have payment included stating "no pay no play" ............ put a few noses out of joint. :)

Event organisers do need to know about how many are comming so that catering and posse assignments are adequate, a few extras isn't too much of a problem but if 50 extras show up at sign-up who decides who dosen't get lunch ? :unsure:

That is true! But, this was an event where No Food was served by the Event, No Banquet, They weren't "Sold Out" so adding someone to a posse wasn't a big deal, ect. My Badge was blank and they printed my name on it with a Magic Marker, I don't care at all about Shooter's packets (mostly junk mail type stuff). I was just there to shoot!!

I can see the big deal if it's anything but a monthly shoot, and at anything else I wouldn't expect (but i might hope) to be able to get in at the last moment. But preregistering for a monthly? And by implication prepaying?

Hey Winchester Jack, I remember that place... I did get some good deals when they had their fire sale before closing up though.

At the Michigan state shoot we will gladly sign you up the morning of if thats what needs to happen for you to be there. About the only thing you won't get at that time is posse preference.

Each club has their reasons for doing things differently.

We have a registration cut-off, to plan dinners & trophies. A few years back we tried on-line registration (no deadline) with our "parent" handling registrations and credit cards. It was so screwed up that a significant number of shooters were unhappy, and so was the "parent."

It seems to work better with club officers handling everything, and not accepting on-line reservations.

If a shooter phones at the last minute, I can take a registration over the phone, with his or her check to be delivered at registration. But don't tell anyone, or some folks will wait to the very last minute, and a last minute rush is a hassle to match organizers.

While you have my sympathy for being unable to attend that match, we don't know with what circumstances that particular club is dealing.

Buena suerte,

eGG

OK, while I agree that the Marshall was treated poorly, and most gunshop workers are little more then "Record Store" clerks who think THEY are the rock stars, I gotta say, YOU spend some time on the other side of the counter, and trust me, your attitude will change. For every story you all have, I've got 10 on IDIOT customers. Just an hour ago, had 1 come in that bought an original 1873 from me over the weekend. He wanted to get his money back because I told him the gun was in 32-20, but it says "right there on the barrel" its in 32 wcf. He would not believe me that they were the same, even AFTER cycling a 32-20 dummy round thru it. Because of the laws here, we explain carefully what the buyer has to do when they come back for pick up, INCLUDING writing the info on the reciept. At least 50% STILL dont get it right, they want to yell at me beacause I wont give them the gun. On saturday, (now keep in mind right now I have 450+ guns in the shop) a guy came in, and asked me if we sold guns. So before ya get a rope, remember, before you got there a whole bunch of knuckle heads have already ruined the dealers day

hud

... I saw a rifle there with the exact stock I have been wanting...I asked the sales person if I could look at it,..."If you aren't going to buy it, I'm not taking it off the shelf". Granted it would have taken a few minutes of his time, and he was busy,...

...I have been gone for two weeks,...I wasn't sure until yesterday we could even do this shoot...NO ON SITE REGISTRATION....

Keep in mind I just watched Dr Phil's show about A type personalities, I'm probably way off target here....

Clerk was busy and has to spend time with the customer(s) that he feels he can make a sell too. And you're upset because he didn't figure you fit into that category?

No on site registration, that's a new one on me. Why don't you polietly ask the club why and let us'all know their reasoning?

OK, while I agree that the Marshall was treated poorly, and most gunshop workers are little more then "Record Store" clerks who think THEY are the rock stars, I gotta say, YOU spend some time on the other side of the counter, and trust me, your attitude will change. For every story you all have, I've got 10 on IDIOT customers. Just an hour ago, had 1 come in that bought an original 1873 from me over the weekend. He wanted to get his money back because I told him the gun was in 32-20, but it says "right there on the barrel" its in 32 wcf. He would not believe me that they were the same, even AFTER cycling a 32-20 dummy round thru it. Because of the laws here, we explain carefully what the buyer has to do when they come back for pick up, INCLUDING writing the info on the reciept. At least 50% STILL dont get it right, they want to yell at me beacause I wont give them the gun. On saturday, (now keep in mind right now I have 450+ guns in the shop) a guy came in, and asked me if we sold guns. So before ya get a rope, remember, before you got there a whole bunch of knuckle heads have already ruined the dealers day

hud

Never mind

Never mind

lol, had a guy come in about 6'5, asked if I carried ankle holsters. I asked him for what kind of gun. He goes for his ankle to pull it. By the time he had it out (and pointing it at me) I had my 45 in his face telling him not to move. Well, as you can guess, he had a literal cow, "I'm a COP" he says, to which I answer, "then you shoulda known better". Not 2 weeks ago, a guy brings in a bolt action 30-06. Says its been in his closet for years, and now the bolt is stuck and he cant open it. So I says "Any chance its loaded"? "OF course not, I know better then that, yada yada yada", So, Im tappin away at the bolt, and sure enough, I get it open......guess what? yep, it was loaded. now this is no cowboy lite load, a full strength 30-06 factory load. A guy brings in a Uberti '66, its lever is stuck half open, before I touch it, I says, "is it loaded", "No way" is his answer, then he picks it up and trys to lever it to show me....THATS when I got the bullet in my overhead light...I got HUNDREDS more....

hud

hud

+ 1000. Having spent endless hours behind a gun counter I agree that it's tough to stay positive all the time. It's just like any other job. except the customer is never wrong and you get swept a gazzillion times a day.

+ 1000. Having spent endless hours behind a gun counter I agree that it's tough to stay positive all the time. It's just like any other job. except the customer is never wrong and you get swept a gazzillion times a day.

When we opened our shop - I told my Mom (who had never worked retail in her life) to remember that first day...

As it would be the last time she could ever look at most of them and not wonder

"How did someone as stupid as you, find your way here?"

But, just because the customer in front of you is asking a stupid question - doesn't mean they should get attitude or poor service because YOU have heard that stupid question 1000 times.

They have only asked it once and they deserve the best you can give them.

"The customer is always right - the customer is often times an idiot - but they are always right" :lol:

If you've never worked retail...you have no idea how tough it is. Try being upbeat, positive, a$$ kissin', handshakin', cheerful about 100 times a day for everyone you meet for 8-14 hours... longer if it's a sport or trade show. Good luck.

Then deal with the entitlement that says, "I don't care if you're busy and I am not buying a damn thing." Maybe the OP was polite as a politician... maybe... or maybe the OP asked him to show 5-19 guns out of curiosity or it had nice wood or...while the 'clerk was a little busy'. You're on a nice day trip killing time on the weekend: He's trying to make a commission, clean the counters, sweep the floor, answer the phone, deal with 5, 6, 7 other customers and a shipment that is late for UPS.

We're all used to "people skills" at a level that permits, "Yes, sir, I'm sorry you had a difficult time with one of our products or services." After you've just ripped someone at the top of your lungs because the invoice went to the house and your wife saw it.

I had a neurosurgeon threaten me after he threatened and berated one of my salespeople. Then he found out I was booked in the same hunting camp as he was and threatened legal action when the outfitter refused to give him a refund. The outfitter and I still laugh every year over that one. That was an expensive tantrum.

"If you aren't going to buy it, I'm not taking it off the shelf"

I can't think of any business where a customer must commit to buying a product before they have a chance to examine it. I would respectfully suggest that if you're working in a business where you feel that the majority of your customers are stupid people who waste your time perhaps you're in the wrong business.

Are new shooters prohibited from observing a match and asking questions unless they commit to paying first?

Of course I'm a high school teacher who hears the same questions year after year, some stupid and some not. The day I get to work and feel that my kids are a bunch of idiots who are wasting my time will be the day I start looking for another job.

I had a less than enjoyable experience at a local store where I had already purchased several guns. I stopped by to look at a 22 lever action but decided that it wasnt in the budget and handed it back to the kid behind the counter. He commented: "you cowboy shooters are a cheap bunch". I looked at the owner and he didnt say anything. So I commented back "Fine, I dont need to spend my money here anymore " and never went back. They are out of business now, I wonder why?

+1

I work too hard for my money to spend it at a place that treats me like a 2nd class citizen.

Maybe if they would have treated 'cheap cowboys' like customers, they would see what we are willing to pay for a piece of technology that was developed 140 years ago, and they would still be in business.

Just because we aren't throwing down $1,000+ for a black plastic rifle does not mean that we aren't willing to spend $1,000+ on a finely tuned lever action.

lol, had a guy come in about 6'5, asked if I carried ankle holsters. I asked him for what kind of gun. He goes for his ankle to pull it. By the time he had it out (and pointing it at me) I had my 45 in his face telling him not to move. Well, as you can guess, he had a literal cow, "I'm a COP" he says, to which I answer, "then you shoulda known better". Not 2 weeks ago, a guy brings in a bolt action 30-06. Says its been in his closet for years, and now the bolt is stuck and he cant open it. So I says "Any chance its loaded"? "OF course not, I know better then that, yada yada yada", So, Im tappin away at the bolt, and sure enough, I get it open......guess what? yep, it was loaded. now this is no cowboy lite load, a full strength 30-06 factory load. A guy brings in a Uberti '66, its lever is stuck half open, before I touch it, I says, "is it loaded", "No way" is his answer, then he picks it up and trys to lever it to show me....THATS when I got the bullet in my overhead light...I got HUNDREDS more....

hud

Hud I posted a comment then decided to delete it, I run into the same type $hit with horseshoeing.

When I first started cowboy shooting I was invited and went to what was a new range to me. I went early just to see the range and after wandering around and helping set a little steel I noticed a big toad sitting behind a table with a cash box in front of him, I asked him if this was the place to sign up and his response was " I will tell you when and were to sign up". I decided this was not the place for me and got to the parking lot on my way home when I ran into the guy that invited me. He convinced me I would not have to talk to the moron again so I stayed and got to shoot with a bunch of great people.

Hud, if you think for just a minute you KNOW this fine individual.

Sometimes in any volunteer endeavors we shoot ourselves in the foot by not finding out what type of person is going to be in contact with no club members on our behalf.

I can't think of any business where a customer must commit to buying a product before they have a chance to examine it. I would respectfully suggest that if you're working in a business where you feel that the majority of your customers are stupid people who waste your time perhaps you're in the wrong business.

Are new shooters prohibited from observing a match and asking questions unless they commit to paying first?

Of course I'm a high school teacher who hears the same questions year after year, some stupid and some not. The day I get to work and feel that my kids are a bunch of idiots who are wasting my time will be the day I start looking for another job.

+1000

I CHOSE to get into business, a business related to my HOBBY (double danger), knowing full well that I would answer the same questions, tell the same stories over and over again. My wife and son can "do" me on the phone with a customer, almost word for word. My 17 yr old son asked "How do you keep the same enthusiasm when you tell the story the 200th time?" I told him something LOU HOLTZ told me (at a gathering of car sales managers back when I was one of those), "You MUST remember that you are not doing a TV show for the same audience every day, but are a working on the stage, giving the best performance you can, each and every time, for a new audience each and every day. THEY haven't seen your "act" before. Give them your best." I was instantly aware that he, as a man with decades of "repeat performances" that were crucial to the success of his team, knew exactly what he was talking about.

For me, that translates simply to this. I LOVE what I do, and when I don't LIKE it anymore, I will do something else, because I owe my "audience" and myself, the very best "performance" I can muster, each and every day. Sadly, LGS owners and clerks alike often end up working solely for money, and forget why it is they got into the business in the first place.

PS: EVERY "clerk" should be put on incentive, so he becomes a salesman invested in the success of the store.

Archived