SASS Wire Forum

Guns in Illinois

Longshadow, SASS #70099

I'm off to Illinois for six months and would like to attend a CAS shoot or six while there. Reading the NRA booklet on state gun laws it seems can be arrested and jailed just for transporting the darn things. As for taking my beloved Kimber for self defense, don't even think about it.

Once I get through the gun friendly states on the way up from my gun friendly Texas, can I expect trouble if I have boxed unloaded guns in the back of my SUV?

I know Illinois is still run by Chicago gangsters, but there are SASS clubs up there. How do you pards stay out of jail?

Looks like I won't be going to Sparta to shoot CAS or ATA events anytime soon. Too much of a headache to even think about it.

I live in Iowa and go to Illinois all the time for shoots. As you can see by reading the the Illinois rules that BranchWater Jack posted. Simply keep guns in cases and their is no real problem with ammo just don't have your guns loaded.

About ccw in cars. The Illinois Supreme Court ruled on a case from 2005. They found that a fella from Indiana with a loaded handgun in his car didn't do anything wrong. They found that his load hand gun in an enclosed compartment on his car door acted as a case. Just don't get out or your vehicle while caring concealed.

Once you get to the World Shooting Complex state laws no longer apply. Guns don't have to be cased with you carrying them or in your camper at the range.

I am sure Tequila Tab will join this thread. He works for the Illinois DNR and can more completely explain the rules.

Don't fear Illinois when it comes to guns just avoid Chicago.

Marlin

while I am not sure what a "FOID card" is, it looks like so long as I as a non-resident, am going to a shooting event or hunting in Illinois, as long as the gun is unloaded, in a case, and NOT readily accessable (like in the car trunk or the camper or the shell of my truck) I am good to go. Is that right? If it is I would say not so big a deal. IMO

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

while I am not sure what a "FOID card" is, it looks like so long as I as a non-resident, am going to a shooting event or hunting in Illinois, as long as the gun is unloaded, in a case, and NOT readily accessable (like in the car trunk or the camper or the shell of my truck) I am good to go. Is that right? If it is I would say not so big a deal. IMO

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Firearm Owner IDentification card.

It is a identification and tracking card that is required for any resident of the People's Republic of Illinois to possess or purchase firearms or ammunition.

There is a big fight going on with the Legislature and the state's AG on releasing the names and addresses of everyone with a FOID card. Looks like the legislature may win and prevent all the names and addresses from going public.

Guest jeweler jim

We run shoots on the fourth Sunday of every month April through October and what Marlin said covers it.

There's even a possiblity that concealed carry could be in our future. Carry open and concealed at our place of business currently and that is also legal. Thankfully we're not in Chicago. Keep em cased, unloaded and out of reach and you'll have no problems.

Stop in and see us if'n you'll be nearby http://www.goodguysposse.org/forums/index.php?act=idx

Longshadow

You have ligitamate concerns. But as a fellow Texan that usually has Two pistols in the truck thats accessable and loaded and one on my person if your going to have to be In IL. you can do it Cased and unloded with the ammo separate. Just figure out your ammo needs or make SASS frinds fast because without a FOID card your not going to be buying any ammo. Jusn't do anything that might give anyone the impression your a resident or you'll be subject to there rules

The Dooleys come up from Texas all the time. No problem.

Like the rest said, just don't carry and you'll be fine.

Hope to see ya at Sparta.

By the way, where you gonna be in Illinois. I'm sure we can find you LOTS of places to shoot.

I live in Iowa and go to Illinois all the time for shoots. As you can see by reading the the Illinois rules that BranchWater Jack posted. Simply keep guns in cases and their is no real problem with ammo just don't have your guns loaded.

About ccw in cars. The Illinois Supreme Court ruled on a case from 2005. They found that a fella from Indiana with a loaded handgun in his car didn't do anything wrong. They found that his load hand gun in an enclosed compartment on his car door acted as a case. Just don't get out or your vehicle while caring concealed.

Once you get to the World Shooting Complex state laws no longer apply. Guns don't have to be cased with you carrying them or in your camper at the range.

I am sure Tequila Tab will join this thread. He works for the Illinois DNR and can more completely explain the rules.

Don't fear Illinois when it comes to guns just avoid Chicago.

Marlin

It sounds a little easier than California. :)

Aunt Jen

]As long as your firearms are unloaded and in a case you are fine................... If you have Ammo it can not be in the same case as your firearm. It's as simple as that.

I don't understand why people who don't live in IL answer questions like this. I have been shooting for 30+ years and never had a problem in IL or any other state.

Send me a PM and I can steer you to a shoot close to where you are staying and if you come to our club I will pay your entry........Bandit

First of all it is spelled Ill Annoys. If'n ya get closer in to Gangsta Ciddy, you msut know how to spell Kook County, also known as Crook County, and if'n you come into Duh Ciddy itself, you msut learn to spell Shi&kago. Duh tourist areas are beautiful but the 'hood, where you need a CCW gun if you are a civilian but cannot have one, are Gangsta's paradise. There are NO gun clubs or shops in the city proper jsut a very few indoor ranges in Kook County. We don't want nobody that nobody sent. Keep 'em locked and cased in the trunk unloaded and avoid all LEO contact. The rest of the state is called: "The other Illinois". However, in Obamaland of the South Side, adn in the West Side adn otehr ghettos, nothing is as it seems. The only rule is that it is important that the "right people" get the money. This town ain't ready for reform yet. Capone Daley is being replaced by the "Enforcer" Nitti Rahm Emmanuel. Just like in the legends.

Longshadow

... Just figure out your ammo needs or make SASS frinds fast because without a FOID card your not going to be buying any ammo. Jusn't do anything that might give anyone the impression your a resident or you'll be subject to there rules

Sorry pard...NOT TRUE.

You can buy all the ammo you want with an out of state driver's license.

Cascade (Unfortunately still a legal resident of IL) Charlie

Looks like I won't be going to Sparta to shoot CAS or ATA events anytime soon. Too much of a headache to even think about it.

Just a reminder, people from all over the WORLD come to shoot the ATA Grand American and have NO PROBLEM with their guns. Hell, people from Australia came to shoot CAS and had no problems. Don't over react guys!

Just a reminder, people from all over the WORLD come to shoot the ATA Grand American and have NO PROBLEM with their guns. Hell, people from Australia came to shoot CAS and had no problems. Don't over react guys!

DANG!! I was gonna say that!

Ya beat me to it Mel.

The Dooleys come up from Texas all the time. No problem.

Like the rest said, just don't carry and you'll be fine.

Hope to see ya at Sparta.

By the way, where you gonna be in Illinois. I'm sure we can find you LOTS of places to shoot.

Yep, we have come up there with an arsenal in the buses (With Dooley GANG) on the side of the bus in 2 foot tall letters!!, no problems!!

We also bought Wal-Mart outta' shotgun shells while there :rolleyes:

As long as you don't have a reason to be arrested and the Police have to impound your car and do an inventory search, you're fine. Have your firearms unloaded and cased in your trunk. As a locked compartment, a Search Warrant is needed to perform a search. Police can perform a protective search of the passenger compartment within the reach of the passengers. You may be asked for permission to search your car. DO NOT GIVE PERMISSION TO SEARCH YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!

You have a right guaranteed by The Fourth Amendment protecting you from warrantless searches. DO NOT FORFEIT THAT RIGHT....

As far as firearms in the place that you are residing for the night, there are no state laws prohibiting a loaded firearm in a home, apartment, or motel room. Chicago requires a handgun permit for RESIDENTS as well as registration of all firearms. As a non resident, this does not apply.

Illinois does not have any provisions for concealed carry and does nopt recognize CCW's from other States.

Many thanks for all the kind words and guidance. I'll be staying in a little town called Nauvoo on the Illinois bank of the Mississippi. The nearest place of any size is Keokuk Iowa about 15 miles away. I'll check the Chronicle for any club(s) within reasonable distance.

Many thanks for all the kind words and guidance. I'll be staying in a little town called Nauvoo on the Illinois bank of the Mississippi. The nearest place of any size is Keokuk Iowa about 15 miles away. I'll check the Chronicle for any club(s) within reasonable distance.

Navoo is a quaint little town. The closest Illinois SASS club to there would be the Shady Creek Shootists approximately 60 miles away.

Longshadow,

By all means come shoot with us at Shady Creek. 1st & 4th Sundays, except for the St Jude's Charity Shoot, Labor Day weekend. A little farther up the road (1/2 hr north) is Milan - Illinois Irregulars. 3rd Sunday.

When will you be arriving?

CR

Archived