SASS Wire Forum

Made in the USA

When a foreign concern expresses an interest in building a plant here, the local politicos do everything possible to kiss up.

Tax abatements, discounted utilities, infrastructure upgrades, etc. All incentives (in the old days they were called bribes) to build in their town.

I have no problem with providing incentives to get businesses to come to town. I just wish we would do more to get U.S. corporations to stay here. When I say "we," I mean as a country, states and localities.

I think in some ways the education system in this country has some responsibility. There's a lot to be said for the manual arts, and practical hands-on skills get neglected. Doesn't do much good in the long view of life if you can operate a computer but can't pound a nail into a snowbank without bending it over.

I agree. Everyone is pushed to be technologically literate with an eye toward college. I'm a lawyer, but if I had it to do over again, I'm not so sure I wouldn't have looked at one of the trades instead. More money, less student loans....

I've always bought American made hand tools.. from past experience I've always found they lasted longer and even though they may be a little more costly to purchase.. they would hold us longer and in the long run worth the money...

Needed a pair of new pliers.. went to local Farm and Fleet store.. Looked them over... picked out a pair that was labeled made in the USA.. I thought.. great...

Took them home opened up the packaging.. on the backside of the pliers stamped "Made in Japan".. I guess the package was made in the USA?

Ramce <_<

Thinkin' "this ain't right"

A few years ago I had the opportunity to visit the newly opened Marine Corps Museum in Quantico, Virginia. By-the-way a great museum and well worth your time if you like such things. Anyway, after I finished viewing all the exhibits I ventured into the gift shop. After looking around for awhile a really nice looking jacket with a Marine Corps emblem caught my eye so I was looking it over with the intention of purchasing it...until I saw the label inside the collar. Made in Vietnam, I couldn't believe it, being an ol Vietnam Marine veteran that elevated my blood pressure a few point. My next thought was what a difference forty years will make. True story I promise.

Yup. Got a western shirt as a gift a while back. Made in Vietnam.

"Well", I said, "I'll just assume it was made in the south by some of the nice folks I met".

Time marches on.

Which money would that be? Toyota is headquartered in Japan, but it is a publicly traded company, with stocks traded on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, New York Stock Exchange and the London Stock Exchange. This means that if you so choose, you can own a chunk of Toyota and keep those profits here.

When I worked for GM and had a company match to my 401K I was able to pick a mutual fund that invested in Toyota. I was amused that GM was essentially buying me Toyota stock. Auto companies are pretty much intertwined any more. Toyota bought Subaru from GM, etc...

QWL

When I worked for GM and had a company match to my 401K I was able to pick a mutual fund that invested in Toyota. I was amused that GM was essentially buying me Toyota stock. Auto companies are pretty much intertwined any more. Toyota bought Subaru from GM, etc...

QWL

I don't know if they still are but GM and Toyota use to be part of each other

I just did an inventory of my cowboy guns. The only ones made in America are my Rugers. The rest are made in Brazil, Italy, Russia, Turkey and China. The Rugers are priced pretty well in comparison to some of the foreign made firearms. They are without doubt, the strongest and best made of my guns, and I am not taking anything away from Uberti or Baikal.

Don't worry, as our economy falters we are getting some of our jobs back. I read an article the other day about a new furniture plant in South Carolina. It seems the plant is owned by a Swedish Company. Back home in Sweden the company pays its Swedish factory employees $18 an hour plus great benefits. Here they pay workers about $8.00 per hour and provide lousy benefits for the same work. I suspect Nike will be opening a plant here as soon as some of our politicians are able to do away with child labor laws.

I try to buy American (and more specifically, not buy Chinese)whenever possible. I will not buy inferior goods just to have a USA label; I will not buy Chinese just to save a buck or two.

But I don't know that I have a real complaint with the overall effect of EPA regulation. Our former manufacturing dominance came at a huge environmental price. I have the sense that, if left unregulated, we would be wallowing in stench and offal by this time. I realize that its painful, but if we want to be manufacturers, we need to find ways of doing so without dirtying our own nests. I've been on properties, formerly used for manufacturing in the "good old days", with 200' long "lagoons" waist deep in heavy metal contaminated liquids, ever so slowly seeping into our groundwater. Think of that happening every day for 50-60 years, and then look at the cancer rates in the neighborhood.

If we are as smart as we think we are, we will come back better and stronger. Our natural resources, creativity, energy and freedom of thought made us great, and they are all still here.

LL

So we should pay less for goods made in another country that DOES allow environmental carnage? Tariffs off set by compliance with our strict standards would be leadership. What we're doing now is self flagellation.

CR

I don't know if they still are but GM and Toyota use to be part of each other

Toyota and Pontiac had a plant in Fremont,Cal. They made the Pontiac Vibe and the Toyota Matrix. I just bought a 2010 Vibe, nice little car, great gas mileage (I drive alot) and sharp looking. That Fremont plant is now closed but some other NON auto business took it over. ???

Toyota and Pontiac had a plant in Fremont,Cal. They made the Pontiac Vibe and the Toyota Matrix. I just bought a 2010 Vibe, nice little car, great gas mileage (I drive alot) and sharp looking. That Fremont plant is now closed but some other NON auto business took it over. ???

Ya I know about those plants there was also Ford plant in Fremont

I was under the impression that Tesla Motors took it over.

Kahr

North American Arms

Marlin

Remington

Mossberg

Hi-Point

Lorcin

Jennings

Bryco

Charter Arms

Kel-Tec

Raven

Phoenix

Jimenez

Davis

Cobra

Of course, the US Government prohibited the importation of many foreign pocket guns. :unsure:

I was under the impression that Tesla Motors took it over.

I talked to some guy that came in our range that was from Oakland and he told me some hi tech company took it over. I don't know fer sure maybe it is Tesla. ?????

Archived