SASS Wire Forum

Finally got my gold badge!

After being a dues paying SASS member since 1998 I finally took the plunge last year and signed up for a life membership. Things got a little snafu'ed in the office, so I'm only now getting my Gold badge, but it was worth the wait. It is a beauty!! B)

Since I was 56 years old when I took out the life membership, I'll have to live until I'm at least 73 to make it pay off. :o I'd better start taking better care of myself!

Not signing up for a Life membership sooner (back when it was only $400) is one of two SASS opportunities I regret passing up.

The other was turning down U.S. Grant's offer to join SASS in 1989. If I'd done it then I'd probably have a three digit SASS number. But I figured it would never make it out of California.

Obviously I'm not the guy to go to for predictions of the future. :wacko:

Mike,

Congratulations! Now figure a price increase for annual memberships and you may be in real good shape.

But, taking better care of ourselves is a good idea.

Allie,

Your in good shape. Here's hoping we all make it well into the 90's and we can shoot super super super statesperson!!

Roo

I bought my gold Badge about 7 years ago I think it was $500 then

After being a dues paying SASS member since 1998 I finally took the plunge last year and signed up for a life membership. Things got a little snafu'ed in the office, so I'm only now getting my Gold badge, but it was worth the wait. It is a beauty!! B)

Since I was 56 years old when I took out the life membership, I'll have to live until I'm at least 73 to make it pay off. :o I'd better start taking better care of myself!

Not signing up for a Life membership sooner (back when it was only $400) is one of two SASS opportunities I regret passing up.

The other was turning down U.S. Grant's offer to join SASS in 1989. If I'd done it then I'd probably have a three digit SASS number. But I figured it would never make it out of California.

Had I joined as a life member, rather than annual, I would have a two digit number. But all that means is we got to the party earlier.

Just signed up my granddaughters (Penelope Picklepants SASS 90377 and Jessie Yodeler SASS 90378) are now both life members. Since they are 2 and 3 years old, guess I will get my moneys worth!

BH

I'm a life member of the National Rifle Association, the National Skeet Shooting Association, the Gun Owners of America and will someday soon also be a life member of SASS. I am also 50 years old. I don't look necessarily to "have it pay for itself", especially the SASS one so late in the game, but the benefits of not having to renew each and every year and to benefit the organization in the mean time. Also the pride of being a "Life Member" is hard to beat. And the gold badge is pretty spiffy looking as well. That and no one can snatch your alias or SASS number along the way. It's just a cool thing to do if you have the coin. A really cool thing to do for the young ins who can't even say SASS or cowboy action. What an incredible gift to give a young person. Smithy.

I hear ya BH and Smithy.

I took out an NRA life membership for my son a few years ago. Since he's only 27 The NRA will be on the short end of that deal. :D

I've been an NRA life member for a long time, but I keep donating to the ILA, so it doesn't feel free. :wacko:

I think mine paid for itself some time ago. If I could just remember what year I joined????? :blink: I imagine they could tell me. I have a card but it doesn't have the year it started, I joined as a life member when I joined up. I can't even remember what it cost. But then I can't remember a whole lot of things any more........ :blush:

If you're anything like Lucky, me and other SASS "Lifers" - you'll be paid back with friends and good times that are worth more than any monetary savings you could hope for. Our gold badges serve as a reminder of what we've gotten out of SASS. As I said a number of years back: "SASS......join for the shootin', but STAY because of the people!"

So Congrats, Mike. Enjoy goin' Gold!

Congratulations, BDM, and DANG but that "Cowboy Bling" looks good on a vest...! ^_^

BH, I your story 'bout the granddaughters brought a smile - good on ya!

When Sassparilla Kid was twelve years old I introduced him to the Judge at the '04 EOT. As the Judge shook his hand, he rolled his ceegar from one side of his jibs to the other, eyed the Kid up and down, took in the gold badge and said the same thing: "Well, Kid, it looks like yer gonna get yer money's worth out of US!"

The Kid smiled graciously and replied "Yessir! I reckon I will!" :rolleyes:

At an ancient 19, he gets comments 'bout his badge number (8968).

Hired Gun,

I was wearing it last Sunday. How did you miss it?

That is the only time I plan to wear it, except at the SASS convention, where it is kind of expected.

I'm not a big fan of wearing badges at matches...couldn't resist showing it off once, but now it goes back into a safe spot.

Howdy BDM,

And congratulations on becoming a SASS Life member. Keep up your good work. I wear my gold badge at every match in a Hidesman badge holder.

Best,

Chicken Coop

Congratulations,

I don't remember what it cost for my life/gold badge. It was about 10 years ago or so, and It was $400 or less. $350 comes to mind, but I don't know where my mind got that figure. Probably dreaming. But If something is going to always be a part of you, then ou might as well jump in. At least you wont have to make those annual payments.

Aunt Jen

Hired Gun,

I was wearing it last Sunday. How did you miss it?

That is the only time I plan to wear it, except at the SASS convention, where it is kind of expected.

I'm not a big fan of wearing badges at matches...couldn't resist showing it off once, but now it goes back into a safe spot.

Sorry Mike!! Guess I was to busy admiring your guns.

Archived