SASS Wire Forum

One benefit of higher gas prices

Trigger Mike

One benefit of higher gas prices is it is a built in tax increase. when gas goes up, tax revenue for the state and federal level also go up. It's our way of helping pay down our debt, now if we can get them to stop adding to how much we owe, we could knock it out in no time.

One benefit of higher gas prices is it is a built in tax increase. when gas goes up, tax revenue for the state and federal level also go up. It's our way of helping pay down our debt, now if we can get them to stop adding to how much we owe, we could knock it out in no time.

It sounds like it would work that way but it doesn’t. As prices go up people drive less, using less gas so the tax revenue actually goes down. A lesson learned from the last round of $4.00 a gallon gas

Fed. and most state and local fuel taxes are per gallon, not per dollar. Unless your state has a sales tax on fuels it is unlikely that higher prices will result in more revenue. :angry: As people decrease their driving and thus their consumpsion, revenue from fuel taxes decreases too. :angry:

It sounds like it would work that way but it doesn't. As prices go up people drive less, using less gas so the tax revenue actually goes down. A lesson learned from the last round of $4.00 a gallon gas

This is true, I saw on Fox news that gas consumption is down for this year. I ferget how much but it's down. People drive less, maybe consolodate trips insteading of just driving whenever. Glad I bought a 4 banger in Nov. (Pontiac Vibe) I get 34 mpg hwy. 28 or so city. Better than 16 and 20 on my old Blazer!

shhhh.. lol.. that is a secret tax increase.. lol

One thing that irks me is when we are in a drought, they preach conserve water, conserve water, then when people do, their revenue falls so they raise prices, same with the natural gas and electric.

Who profits from high oil prices?

Those who can afford to speculate on the oil futures markets, that's who.

Does it still surprise anyone that our economy (read: Government) is run for the benefit of the "moneyed interests"? Did the whole let's-line-the-Banksters'-pockets-because-people-can't-afford-their-mortgages fiasco not teach us anything?

Believe me, if Tim Geitner's crooked cronies were suffering from high gas prices, we would see something being done about them! You and me, we don't count anymore.

Does it still surprise anyone that our economy (read: Government) is run for the benefit of the "moneyed interests"? Did the whole let's-line-the-Banksters'-pockets-because-people-can't-afford-their-mortgages fiasco not teach us anything?

Believe me, if Tim Geitner's crooked cronies were suffering from high gas prices, we would see something being done about them! You and me, we don't count anymore.

That's right, Geitner's (who came from goldman sachs) friends at goldman sachs invest in hedge funds that keep driving up the oil market as do other hedge funds. speculators are the ones who ran up the oil market prior to the crash, speculators in hedge funds who have enough money to influence the market shorted our banks driving some out of business even though they had billions in cash on hand. Hedge fund speculators are running oil and gold back up and one day they will tire of it and short it.

How many of Tim Geitner's crooked cronies (Geitner himself included) get their gas paid for with a GSA credit card? They get richer with their stock holdings and the costs get passed on to us.

Archived