SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92 44/40

I don't need this rifle, but when I saw it ... well. About a 12 year old Rossi in near new condition; no funky top safety mechanism. The owner happens to be a gunsmith for Beretta and he is the original owner. It is a 44/40, 20" round barrel, oiled straight stock with a couple of small dings - just adds character. He performed an action job by polishing and stoning parts - it is as smooth as butter. No short stroke or other stuff done to it. In addition, he installed a Marbles #2 Rear Tang sight. Magazine tube has a slight purplish discolored bluing he said came from the factory. Would like $450 for it. What do you think? I only own Ubertis and Marlins.

MJJ

If the action job was done right....then figure $250 for the gun, $100 for the sight and $100 for the action job.

If it wasn't...then figure $350 for the gun, $100 for the sight and ??? to get it right.

Still sounds like a good deal to me.

Oh, and unless something has come along recently, as far as I know, there are no short stroke mods for 92's

The Rossi 92's are some of the best made. Over the years they have made the same gun for many different importers. Some of them ordered the gun to be made with American Walnut and have deeper bluing than others. The Navy, Interarms,Puma, and the last was the EMF Hartfords. All made by Rossi of Brazil. I have owned several through the years and they are worth more than people are paying for them. Some are real tack drivers. When Taurus purchased Rossi they refused to make any more guns for EMF and Taurus started selling them under a different name called Braz-Tech. I have no idea if they are as good as some of the older guns. The 92's have never had a short stroke kit but many a championship has been won by the guns that Steve Young did. He is known by Nate Kiowa Jones. He has a DVD that sells for $20 that each 92 owner should have.

Howdy,

If you have the money buy it shoot it and enjoy it.

Thats way cheaper than a real 1892 and probably just as much fun.

Best

CR

I like the fact that it has the round barrel, they just look better to my eye, and if it is a slick shooter, it would be worth $45o. IMHO

Chili is right, it is way less money than I paid for a new Winchester in .357 last fall, and WAY less than an antique in good shape.

Sir;

You asked a direct question, I am going to give you WHAT YOU ASKED FOR! The price is alright, you could probably save another $50.00, without a lot of effort, the 44/40 might pose a problem, in getting a better deal. I would say that if money is tight, wait if not, then go for it. My personal opinion is that he should come down about 50, then you have an excellent deal. Otherwise, this is an alright, deal, nobody will laugh at you, but nobody will be like, damn you got that for WHAAAAAT?

BullWhacker

Archived