SASS Wire Forum

Participated in my first shoot today!

Wagon Box Willy

Well sorta ;) Went upstate this morning with my pistols since I don't own any long guns yet and was just planning on watchin' and meeting folks but decided to join in. A few pards offered to lend me a fifle and shotgun but since the last time I ever shot a rifle was an M16 in 1971 I figured I'd pass for fear of looking foolish and just shoot the pistols. I had a good time though I'm pretty quiet when I first meet people and my pistol shooting improved with each stage.

I met a lot of folks including Driftwood Johnson and WIld Bill Backerby and many whose names I cant remember.Thanks for the good time.

Congrats WBW. That Wild Bill's some character, no? Met him a coupla years ago when I was up in that neck of thhe woods. Didn't get to stick around to shoot. Drifftwood is a heck of a guy also; look forward to getting back up there for a match... but it'll have to warm up some!

Congrats WBW. That Wild Bill's some character, no? Met him a coupla years ago when I was up in that neck of thhe woods. Didn't get to stick around to shoot. Drifftwood is a heck of a guy also; look forward to getting back up there for a match... but it'll have to warm up some!

Yea, unfortunately I met them before the patch and then we split up into different posse's and then I pretty much didn't see them again. I had to run home right after the shoot so I couldn't hang around and socialize.

Yea, unfortunately I met them before the patch and then we split up into different posse's and then I pretty much didn't see them again. I had to run home right after the shoot so I couldn't hang around and socialize.

Willie I was on the same posse with you ,you sure put those Remingtons to good use. Glad you had a great time,it's addictive,hope to posse with you in the future. Adios Sgt. Jake

First match is like your first girlfriend. You have no idea what you are doing, but it sure feels good, and the memories last a life time.

Beware of Accidental Discharges.

You made the right call not to shoot the long guns if you didn't feel safe. AD's can have serious consequences.

Coffin Filler

It wasn't that I didn't feel safe, it was more that I didn't want to look stupid :) I never shot a lever gun and I usually don't like doing things for the first time in front of an audience ;) That plus I didn't have the ammo for the shotgun and rifle so the decision was easy. I had fun anyway.

I wudda liked to have hung around after the match but I had already exceeded the estimate I gave my wife so I needed to get on the road and get home.

I can relate to not wanting to look stupid, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I started shooting in February and had no idea what I was doing. Since then I have shot in 7 matches and I have yet to be in a posse where I felt unwelcome or that others were judging me negatively. Far from it, people have gone out of their way to hep me improve, loan me gear, give me featherlites....It's a really, really good group here at SASS. Not that you won't encounter an oddball or two on the wire, but what online forum doesn't have a troll or three?

Welcome to the fire!

CBB

Howdy Willy

Kind of lost track of you after the match started. You made the right decision not to shoot the rifle or shotgun if you don't feel comfortable with them. A match is not the right place to get familiar with a type of firearm you have never shot before. Whenever I buy a new toy for cowboy shooting I always take it to the range first to try it out and get used to it.

See, that's why ya gotta bring the wife...... at the very least she can dress up and socialize too. We have spouses that come and hang out at shoots and have a good time ta boot. I know plenty of spouses that dress up and do things like scorekeep. It helps the posse and gets them involved at the same time. Might happen that she gets bit by the bug too.

When my best friend finally took me to a shoot, I was hooked. I thought he was going to a good ol' boys outing and that wimmen folks were taboo. Now we are married and found a whole bunch of new friends TOGETHER......man I love this game!!!!

Glad ta count ya among the ranks!! Good luck in the future - Trina

Howdy Willy

Kind of lost track of you after the match started. You made the right decision not to shoot the rifle or shotgun if you don't feel comfortable with them. A match is not the right place to get familiar with a type of firearm you have never shot before. Whenever I buy a new toy for cowboy shooting I always take it to the range first to try it out and get used to it.

That's a good plan, but it never seems to work out for me. I always plan to try new equipment/ammo/modifications at the range before shooting a match, but something always seems to come up. I have yet to shoot in a match where all my equipment was tried and tested. My first match was the first time a live round went through my rifle (first time for me shooting any lever action rifle too) as well as the first time shooting my Stoeger after slicking it up. My second match was the first time shooting my Rugers after installing hammer and trigger springs and rifle after the Slix Spring install. My third match was the first time shooting reloaded rounds in my pistols. My forth match was a trial of reloaded rifle rounds. Last month was going to be the first match that I could shoot without worrying about untried equipment, but I hurt my back putting my boots on in the morning and couldn't shoot. We have our big annual match this Sunday, and I will be shooting my rifle for the first time after installing a short stroke kit. Maybe I can get to the range on Saturday to try it out first.

Luckily, my wife and I haven't had any equipment/ammo issues yet. I hope that I didn't just jinx myself...

Archived